LegacyGT.com

Removal of OEM Wing?

dsh_gt

I was thinking of removing my stock spoiler for the purpose of cleaning and waxing the trunk lid (and then putting it back on). Looks like there is just two bolts holding it on from the trunk which you would need to get filled. There might be some adhesive though if anyone cares to comment on that.

Someday I would like to remove my spoiler and replace it with a sti trunk lip spoiler, but it wont cover the holes, so I would need to get them filled too.

OEM wing as in the wing on the back of the wagon or the spoiler on the trunk on the sedan?

I meant the Sedan, sorry for not being specific. Thanks for the input guys, i think im going to try to remove it and see if I like it better.

-Derek

Let me know if there is any adhesive. I think you should just be able to unbolt the two screws and it would lift right off with little to no resistance. If there is ANY resistance, do it on a hot day or use a blow dryer to lightly heat up around the edges. You don't want to go peeling off paint.

You will have two small holes on your trunk, but thats a small price to pay for a week during the summer to test it out and see if you like the no spoiler look.

4 holes on each side. 2 screws and a couple pop its. just did mine about 10 days ago:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1252802&postcount=8

also, holes are deep so trying to use duraglass and body filler does not quite work. you have to do A LOT of work. i just spent $600 to fill and repaint my rear trunk lid with an RBS vers 2 rear lip on the way.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

$600!!! you shoulda found someone to trade with

You should rock the dual spoiler

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/LGT%20Spoiler%20Removal%20July%204%2007/100_0624.jpg

ha ha ha. well, one of the rex guys is buying my spoiler. think it'll look rather nice. not so flashy as the STI spoiler and not so "stock" as the rex one.

and no one here i could find to swap trunks. plus SOA was repainting it for warranty work. now i've found 3 or 5 ABP 2.5i spoilerless... go figure.

:confused: Why? Brand new truck lids are $370 direct from Subaru.

because instead of just painting it for $360, i had to pay them to fix their screw up (long long story) and it ended up costing way the hell more! otherwise, i'd have just bought a new freaking trunk and had it painted. so for anyone who wants to do this (take off the wing and have the holes filled) it is cheaper to buy a new trunk and have it painted. or find someone to do a trunk swap.

Doubt I could find a trunk swap for a DGM with STI trunk spoiler, and my wife would probably kill me if I did a trunk swap with no spoiler. I should place my order for the lip spoiler (front and back while i'm at it) now and keep it hidden until I find a trunk swap and put it all on at once. :lol:

so you are wanting an STI spoiler for your car? it should hide the holes from the stock spoiler if you remove it. then just plug them since it will be hidden and it won't even matter. you will need to drill about 17 holes for the STI spoiler however. ;)

ha ha! gotcha! ya, i was going to get one, but you have to drill a hole and after paying an ungodly amount to fix the holes, i'm just going with a small RBS vers 2 lip spoiler for the car. goes on with 3M tape so i can take it off if i want.

ya, i was trying to imagine what an STI wing would look like on the back of an LGT. fugly

AKLGT, do you think this spoiler can fill up most of the holes on the trunk from the OEM wing?

http://www.hkc-speed.com/images/uploads/bl5-spoiler_stanza/7.JPG

Thank you,

J.

Although Im not under the trunk lid of my car looking at where the stock holes are, from AKLGT's pics of her own car, it looks as if it MIGHT cover just one of the holes on each side. If it stretched further than that, it might get half of that larger hole.

I'm not really sure why getting the holes patched is so darn expensive. I understand the work behind it, but to me it seems no different than simple patchwork anywhere else on the car. Only problem being that the holes are deeper, and more of them.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

AKLGT, do you think this spoiler can fill up most of the holes on the trunk from the OEM wing?

http://www.hkc-speed.com/images/uploads/bl5-spoiler_stanza/7.JPG

Thank you,

J.

no. maybe one or two holes, but that's it.

as for the patching of holes, there is a metal liner inside our trunklid that prevents easy patching of said holes. :( so you just fill and fill and fill and fill into nothingness.

got my new wing on the car. i love it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/100_0854.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/100_0855.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/100_0856.jpg

I'd like to patch my trunk, install the STi spoiler, and then keep my stocker for re-sale.

I have duplicate parts of EVERY single thing that I've installed in my car, so that I can throw them back on if I were to ever trade. It takes space, but honestly I learned my lesson in the past.

But, then I play Devil's Advocate with myself, because members here on the boards will probably ALWAYS be looking for a wingless or an already-STi lipped trunk. So, if I were to throw on the STi lip spoiler, I'm sure I could find someone to trade with eventually (again, if I were to trade the car).

Are there really NO success stories for people that have done this for cheaper? I've had MUCH larger things repaired/painted for that kind of money, but maybe the trunk is as difficult to repair as the lady said (I trust you AKLGT).

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Side note: AKLGT I like the STi wheels. When we get our new Legacy I was going to give my wife my spec.b wheels and get some of those, then use the stockers for snow tires. Are those RE070's? How's the grip? Are you also running STI Brembos under there? Your car is starting to look pretty sweet (for a auto :)).

I'd like to patch my trunk, install the STi spoiler, and then keep my stocker for re-sale.

I have duplicate parts of EVERY single thing that I've installed in my car, so that I can throw them back on if I were to ever trade. It takes space, but honestly I learned my lesson in the past.

But, then I play Devil's Advocate with myself, because members here on the boards will probably ALWAYS be looking for a wingless or an already-STi lipped trunk. So, if I were to throw on the STi lip spoiler, I'm sure I could find someone to trade with eventually (again, if I were to trade the car).

Are there really NO success stories for people that have done this for cheaper? I've had MUCH larger things repaired/painted for that kind of money, but maybe the trunk is as difficult to repair as the lady said (I trust you AKLGT).

like i said, i felt the price was too much, however, looking at what needed to be done (sorry, didn't get any pics of the inside of the trunk), there is a big metal piece that kinda hollows out where most of the holes are. so you end up having to do a lot more work than just weld on the back and fill the top with body filler to get the smooth surface. we had a heck of a time getting it to even stay put! :( so it ended up being a lot more work than we anticipated, thus the heftier price tag. now there is some other background to it... the body shop then poked a hole through one of my filled holes and instead of acknowledging their mistake, charged me to repair them. i didn't handle the situation because i let my husband who works with the place a lot since SOA sends their warranty body work there. i still feel they should not have charged me for their mistake, but i didn't have time to go back and redo it. the car was already there and i wasn't going to have to be without a car for a week when that wouldn't be warranty work and i'd not be able to get a loaner. so i bit my tongue and went ahead and paid them (actually i have not paid them yet) to redo the trunk holes and paint. so i ended up paying twice to fix the holes (first job wasn't AS nice, but he still did a good job and I was pleased). the body shop did a nice job on the trunk, but i'm finding a lot of overspray on the tails, rear window and some of the side panels. :(

i'd still never use them ever again.

Archived