LegacyGT.com

Regarding Hood Dampers.. Any interest in...

jsalicru

Ok, obviously I see interest, so I am editing this first post to reflect what it is that I have created for us Legacy owners.

I got this idea while looking at a thread regarding people looking for hood dampers. I understand and agree that this car should have come with hood dampers from the factory. Unfortunately, it didn't. However, I was able to come up with a solution for us.

THE SOLUTION

A hood damper kit with a very detailed set of instructions. This kit will include the following:

http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/Legacy%20Dampers/clip_image002.jpg

• Hood Dampers (2)

• Aluminum Extensions (2)

• Joint Bolts (2)

• Washers (2)

• Lock Pins (4)

• Hood Brackets (2)

• M6 x 1.00 Tap

Two styles are available:

• Polished dampers ($95 shipped)
  • Carbon Fiber dampers ($125 shipped)

Payment can be sent to stifan@mac.com

INSTALLATION

PDF Instructions here

I will say this. The install isn't for the faint hearted. It isn't too hard. If done properly, the whole install should take ~45 minutes - 1 hour. It involves drilling 2 holes and tapping those two holes (with included tap). The positioning of these two holes is critical to ensure proper clearance when opening and closing the hood. Other than that, the rest of the install isn't too hard. Some trimming needs to be done to a plastic shroud in order for the damper to clear, however, this is much easier than it sounds.

RESULTS

http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/Legacy%20Dampers/IMG_2246%20%28Large%29.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/Legacy%20Dampers/IMG_2257%20%28Large%29.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/Legacy%20Dampers/Install/IMG_2331%20%28Large%29.JPG

DISCLAIMER

These hood dampers are in no way approved by Subaru or Fuji Heavy Industries. The installation procedures are not approved or warranted by NRG. There are no guarantees stated or implied that this accessory will not cause damage to you, your vehicle, or anything else that isn’t mentioned. The seller of this accessory cannot be held liable for damage the consumer does to the car, its hood, fender, or engine bay from installation steps or use of the accessory. Installation steps outlined in this manual are for entertainment & hobby use only. For official recommendations on dismantling parts of your Vehicle, see your authorized Subaru dealer. Proceed at your own risk.

FAQ

Will this set of dampers have a "taco" effect on my hood?

No, that is something that is typically found on cars with carbon fiber hoods. It is a possibility on aluminum hoods also, however it very unlikely to happen in aluminum hoods. NRG Innovations does not recommend/endorse the use of dampers in carbon fiber hoods. Tein does not either.

Will I have to slowly lower the hood and then push it closed?

No. In fact, it is somewhat hard to do that since the damper wants to push the hood up. The better method is to simply drop the hood closed from ~5 inches up.

What is the proper way to raise my hood?

If possible, avoid letting the hood raise itself all the way up. If you let the hood raise itself it will have a Po-Go effect when it reaches the top. This creates a lot of strain on the mounts. The best method would be to guide the hood up with your hand as to avoid the bouncing when the hood dampers reach the end of their stroke.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice rolls. depends on the price whether I'm in or not
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Tein makes a a nice anodized dual-strut bolt-on kit for the Impreza, but apparently there's none for the Legacy (yet). The Impreza kit can probably be adapted to a Legacy with a little work. The Tein kits go for about $130.

See:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/tein_hood_damper/bhd01-s28/

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

the hardware in these is similar if not actually the same as Tein (really).

They will be for a pair. I only have one on because I haven't done the trimming on the other side. From what I have seen thus far, there's no deformity at all.

I will have polished or carbon fiber. The only issue is that the going rate of the CF version is closer to ~$140. However, they look nice.

I really doubt anyone has made a kit. I also doubt that they will make a Legacy specific kit.

K, I know you are in for sure ;) Since you insist in black, we can paint yours. Just PM me when you want them and I'll install a set on yours ASAP.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I supply the guy selling the dampers in these threads...

Look at them in case you want to see feedback of the units from users.

POLISHED

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=325302

CARBON FIBER

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=336304

My user name on that site (s2ki) is also jsalicru

Tein makes a a nice anodized dual-strut bolt-on kit for the Impreza, but apparently there's none for the Legacy (yet). The Impreza kit can probably be adapted to a Legacy with a little work. The Tein kits go for about $130.

See:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/tein_hood_damper/bhd01-s28/

They are not anodized, they are painted green.

Yes, I think there will be more than sufficient interest here to make a run of those, they look great, or at least the one does that I can see.

Can you confirm that there is zero deformation of the hood when it is closed ?

BTW, I don't have to make a run. The necesary hardware is already available. The one thing I do need to supply is directions with necesary mods.

(oh...nice Rolls :D)

You should see the Magnum PI style Ferrari 308 that's in front of that boat...

BTW, I don't have to make a run. The necesary hardware is already available. The one thing I do need to supply is directions with necesary mods.

Please make the mod painfree...even for a mod noooooob (*slowly raises hand :icon_bigg )

Keep us updated on the final $$ figures (including shipping) for both the carbon fiber and polished. Thanks!

In Taiwan now...:spin:

ok, with the whole X360 crap and all the work/school I have, it will be a few before I have everything finalized.

haha, Im sure, just a few days. I'm pretty sure I don't work Friday, so I will probably finish everything then and take some how-to pictures, etc.

Archived