LegacyGT.com

Reason for the tire difference? (according to the net)

DanJz

Hey everyone

I'm tire shopping for my 06 2.5i SE right now and I can't decide on what tire to get.

I noticed, however, that the stock tire size for my car is 205/50/R17, while the stock tire size for the LGT is 215/45/R17.

There are more options as far as UHP all-seasons with the 215/45/R17 than with my tire size from what I've seen. Could I fit that size without a problem or is there a reason for the size difference, such as suspension differences or something? I'm running the stock rims.

Thanks! Sorry if there was another thread about this, I tried looking around at the stickies and stuff but couldn't really find anything

Thanks for the reply!

I'm looking for a good UHP all-season, something fairly sporty in the non-winter months but that still can get me from point a to point b in the winter without sliding all over the road.

I live in upstate NY so we always have pretty intense winters, so it's important that the tires be adequate for winter. At the same time, in the summer months, I'd like to be able to drive the car a bit harder around corners and stuff and not feel like the tire will give way.

I was looking at the Goodyear Eagle GT, Yokohama Advan S.4, etc., but I'm absolutely open to suggestions as to what size I should get, what brand, etc. thanks!!

From a fellow NY member get dedicated summer and winter setups.

I run 225/40 18 starspecs in the summer and just switched to my 205/50 17 conti EWC on stock wheels for winter.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

That's my plan eventually haha. I'm just on a college budget right now so I can't afford two sets. Once I graduate and find a job (presumably) however, my first investment is going to be a second set of wheels with dedicated summer tires and I'll get snows for the stockers

Buy snow tires now and then buy a used summer setup come spring. That's what I did. Yes, mote out of pocket initially, but prob no more over time and I have better handling, control, etc than a single pair of tires would offer.

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

If you are on tight budget and no money to put for two sets (it is easy to save money long term if you have some money up front - the only problem is with this "up front" part) then a lot of people seem to be happy with Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

DW is summer tire and DWS is all season.

Some people complain about not stiff sidewall and bump pressure to get better "feel".

Krzys

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Krzyss, you mentioned those three tire sizes I can run. Which of those sizes would be the best you think, for daily driving, somewhat spiritedly at times? I have 205/50/R17s now, I kind of like the idea of filling the wheel well a little more but I don't want to screw up the speedo or anything. Which of these sizes is what most people are running? Thanks!

225/45 is the closest to OEM 205/50 for us 2.5i guys. I went with a wider, sticky tire for summer and had worse Highway MPG and turnin. Whiteline LCA bushings fixed this, but on a budget I might stick with a good 205 wide tire. 2.5is don't really need the wider tire unless you are planning on tracking, autox, etc. A thinner tire will get you better MPG and be better in snow.

what kind of gas mileage loss are we talking about here? I have a 205/50/17 and need to buy new tires today, will i really see a difference in mpg going to 225/45/17. I know my car is slow, i will never track or autox, i just want to feel better when i look at it and see a fatter tire.

If you are buing locally use the Internet for bargaining. Nice printout with Tirerack (or another cheaper source) pricing (including shipping) does magic.

The difference between 225/45 and 205/50 is not that big (nominal 2cm -> 2/2.55 inch -> 3/4 inch) and may be even smaller between different models and manufacturers.

Choose the tires that match your needs and compare prices in 205/50 and 225/45 sizes. Pick cheaper or pick the best.

Krzys

I have a 2.5i also. Mine has some suspension mods so I'm faster around corners. :-). I dont autox kd anything like that either.

I put 205/50 17 conti ewc on and took a trip to NJ this last march. I got 31mpg on the way down. 25 on yhe way back (lots of snow so i took back roads)

This summer I put 225/40 18 dunlop starspecs on and I have gotten 27-28mpg highway. Had I stuck with a reg 205 wide and AS with summer blend fuel I probably would have seen low 30's.

I have a 2.5i also. Mine has some suspension mods so I'm faster around corners. :-). I dont autox kd anything like that either.

I put 205/50 17 conti ewc on and took a trip to NJ this last march. I got 31mpg on the way down. 25 on yhe way back (lots of snow so i took back roads)

This summer I put 225/40 18 dunlop starspecs on and I have gotten 27-28mpg highway. Had I stuck with a reg 205 wide and AS with summer blend fuel I probably would have seen low 30's.

I would think your main difference would be in going to the 18" vs 17" than the width of the tire.

My summer setup is lighter than winter. I haven't put them each on a scale, but i run stock wheels in winter, which are 20-21lb. In the summer I run Kosei Racing K1 TS 18x7.5" +50. They are only about 15-16lbs.

I think the main difference is from rolling resistance of the tire compound. A less sticky AS tire would probably have less difference between 205 and 225 widths.

If you can get a 225/45 significantly cheaper then do that. I can only offer my experience with these two tires and this car. (06 2.5i SE 5MT)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll stick with the 205 size for the time being. Eventually I plan on getting a nicer set of rims for the summer and making the stockers the winter wheels, so that's when I'll do the wider tires I suppose.

Had Eagle GTs (215/45 17) for almost 2 years, replaced a couple weeks ago due to tread separation. Went with Dunlop SP sport signatures this time, so far they are quieter and absorb bumps a little bit better.

Compared to other tires around the same price, Eagle GTs are a good tire. Never had any problems in the rain. But they are not the best option if you want something that's good in snow or quiet. Not saying they are terrible in the snow, but they don't instill a sense of confidence either.

You might also want to look the brand new Kumho Ecsta 4X. Have no idea how good or bad they are in snow since they just came out.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=151

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Have Eagle GTs on the car right now. They were on the car when I got them in May last year. Horrible in the snow/cold weather. Went great in rain never hydroplaned. Since I have a separate set of snow tires I will be getting a dedicated summer set as well instead of all seasons. The only way to go I think!

Eagle GT scored poorly in winter driving conditions in CR test. They are good or very good in all other conditions.

The tread wear is supposed to be poor too (per CR).

I bought them for my daughter's 03 Passat as stand in for real summer tires (we have dedicated winter setup). They are decent in non winter conditions.

Krzys

• 3 weeks later...

Archived