LegacyGT.com

Rear wiper is a dealer only part >:/

The rear wiper blade on my 05 OBXT split in half (the long way). Went to buy a replacement at Pepboys and Autozone. They told me it was a dealer only part. Problem is that the dealer parts dept is only open during "banking hours" when most people are at work.

I don't see the logic in making a wiper blade that is exclusive to subaru only. Next thing you know, they'll make a headlight bulb that you can only buy at the dealership.

This is my first Subaru and so far it's been a bad luck car for me.

1. Both headlight bulbs burn out in less than a year (fixed by disabling DRL). Ended up paying out of pocket for bulbs because it's not worth it for me to take a day off work to get some headlight bulbs replaced under warranty.

2. Front and rear Brake pads and rotors were gone after 33K miles. Had it fixed at independent shop (had no idea that it was covered under warranty as brakes are usually a wear and tear item). Mistake was my fault but still a negative experience with brakes wearing out at 33K miles.

3. I have to go to the dealer to get a friggin wiper blade???

I have owned japanese cars my whole life and this is the first one that I have had to address this many issues in the first 3 years of ownership. I almost feel like I should have bought a BMW instead.

I think you're whining. Many would wish your 1-3 were their only problems.

Disable the damn DRL and cut a blade insert. Done.

I almost feel like I should have bought a BMW instead.

Yeah, you should have :rolleyes:

Just buy the correct length blade from whoever, and then change out the rubber blade.

I've done it that way a few times now.

Try finding a 14" wiper replacement, good luck. The only one I've found was PIAA, but it has a notch to lock it in place which doesn't work with the wiper frame. I ended up having to dremel out part of the rubber to get it to work.

Suck it up, make a trip to the dealer.

Try finding a 14" wiper replacement, good luck. The only one I've found was PIAA, but it has a notch to lock it in place which doesn't work with the wiper frame. I ended up having to dremel out part of the rubber to get it to work.

Suck it up, make a trip to the dealer.

Walmart have them, and even if you can't find one, how about buying a 15" blade and cutting an inch off ?

Come on, lets have a little initiative here :lol:

Its not only Subaru that has this problem with the rear wiper blade on the wagon. If you look around you will see other cars with the same design including the BMW wagons and SUV's. Take a look around you at all the small SUV's from Honda to Buick, they all have the same problem.

Here is a thread with Infiniti FX owners having the same problem... http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?p=1444336

Its the aftermarket wiper blade manufacturers that can't keep up and are still selling the old style wiper blades! Its a pain in the a$$. You would think one of them, Bosch, Anco, etc would have figured it out by now.

Yeah, I know I'm whining. BMW's are great cars but I don't want to deal with the hassle of these small stupid problems. German cars are famous for having small nuisances which I don't want to deal with. For that reason, I have stuck with Honda, Toyota and Nissan. I was just surprised that this car isn't quite as carefree as my previous cars, that's all.

Just buy an aftermarket one & cut it. A pain, but doable.

I'd be annoyed with the brake pads. Thanks for reminding me to check mine.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

The rear wiper blade on my 05 OBXT split in half (the long way). Went to buy a replacement at Pepboys and Autozone. They told me it was a dealer only part. Problem is that the dealer parts dept is only open during "banking hours" when most people are at work.

I don't see the logic in making a wiper blade that is exclusive to subaru only. Next thing you know, they'll make a headlight bulb that you can only buy at the dealership.

As has been mentioned, it's not Subaru's fault the aftermarket hasn't made a blade for the car. Man up and head to the dealer or order it from one of the online dealers.

1. Both headlight bulbs burn out in less than a year (fixed by disabling DRL). Ended up paying out of pocket for bulbs because it's not worth it for me to take a day off work to get some headlight bulbs replaced under warranty.

This was a known problem with a certain batch of headlights installed in the 2005 and some 2006 models, the dealer would have replaced both bulbs for you for free. It's not Subaru's fault that you didn't take the car in.

2. Front and rear Brake pads and rotors were gone after 33K miles. Had it fixed at independent shop (had no idea that it was covered under warranty as brakes are usually a wear and tear item). Mistake was my fault but still a negative experience with brakes wearing out at 33K miles.

The brakes wore out because of your driving habits, I've got 45k on the set on my wagon. Plus you must have never read the manual, otherwise you would know what is and is not covered by the warranty...

I have owned japanese cars my whole life and this is the first one that I have had to address this many issues in the first 3 years of ownership. I almost feel like I should have bought a BMW instead.

And then you'd be bitching about having to go to BMW to get a rear wiper blade...:rolleyes:

3. I have to go to the dealer to get a friggin wiper blade???

Considering you haven't checked the documentation on some pretty basic stuff, a reasonable question is, are you sure that one of the 11 Subaru dealerships within 50 miles of your location isn't open on Saturdays?

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Guest *Jedimaster*

I've done that-found the perfect size at a NAPA auto store. Bottom line, it's still a PITA and I'll be getting mine online in bulk from Subaru.

The problem with the rear wiper is not the size, it's the way the blade attaches to the arm. Apparently, the 04 and older outbacks have a regular wiper arm that can attach to aftermarket blades. The 05 and newer wiper arms are different.

In any case, I went to the dealer today and bought one. I told the service manager about my headlight and brake experience and we both laughed about it. He told me to call him the next time ANYTHING goes wrong...cuz I still have my powertrain warranty.

Oh, and I don't read instructions or manuals for anything. I learn things the hard way.

The repair gods are appeased only by blood.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Guest *Jedimaster*
The repair gods are appeased only by blood.

:lol:

Oh shit! It's the dude who showed me how to do the lgt mufflers on my car!:)

It comes from long experience - spilled minor amounts at a couple Miata tech days recently. Although a twisted back seems to appease them as well.

I'll have to check on the Legacy platform, but I know that the Forester platform is a simple retrofit of the '03 Forester wiper arm, then my customers can drop by whatever auto parts store and pick up 15" blades at will. It fits, it works, no problems.

• 7 months later...

I'm trying to figure out how to take apart the oem wiper arm to replace it with one that'll take a normal 16" blade. That would cover more of the sides of the rear window AND be easier/cheaper to replace.

The brakes wore out because of your driving habits, I've got 45k on the set on my wagon

Amen... I just checked the original pads on my Impreza, and they're not even half gone at 53,000 miles.

You must be driving pretty digitally to wear out brake pads in 33,000 miles.

Ben

Archived