LegacyGT.com

Rear window shatters randomly...

Yea, that's right, it's completely shattered.

Came out from work today at 5:00 P.M. and saw what's below in the pictures.

I had a layer of dust on the window because I haven't gotten around to cleaning the car and there were no marks. There was no point of impact-and that was not only my opinion, but also the officer's that wrote the police report.

From what I have read Subaru's have been slightly prone to cracking windshields mostly due to the thinner windshields used to reduce weight.

I'm going in to the dealership tomorrow to see what they say, although I doubt I'll get much of anything except for "you're past your warranty"... On top of that my deductible is $1K so I'm basically screwed.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/_MG_3103.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/_MG_3102.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/_MG_3100.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Forgot to mention, High temperature today was 75 F, car has 39K on it and if they don't offer to replace this for free or at one hell of a discount I will demand the nominal thickness per the manufacturer's drawing as well as the tolerances and you had better believe that I will be measuring to 0.0000".

This happened to a friend of mine. (Not a subaru...Audi i think) We were all standing around the car and then all of a sudden *crick* and the whole window looked like that.

It's stress in the glass, it happens sometimes

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

i did mine. But it was a XM antenna that had been taken off to wax the trunk...

Sux. Where ever you go. Make sure they dont use ppg herculine or whatever Royal used in my car. Its wavey at the top and really shitty. The company quoted me 380 for OEM glass. THen put this shit in. And is now trying to charge me another 170 to use subaru glass from a dealer. Stating if i want subaru glass they have to get it from a expencive dealer. WHen they originally told me they used OEM glass. Ensue ignorant ghetto call center worker and more polite but equally unhelpful manager.

So Buyer be Ware.... glass companies suck

This happened to a friend of mine. (Not a subaru...Audi i think) We were all standing around the car and then all of a sudden *crick* and the whole window looked like that.

It's stress in the glass, it happens sometimes

When you say that it happens sometimes are you implying that this is part of having glass and that I'm phukd or do you think this is a nonconforming issue with the fault resting on the manufacturer?

UPDATE!!!

Today I showed the car to the service manager at the local Subaru dealer. He told me that he had no idea why this happened and that he has never seen this before.

I called SOA and reported this issue (told the service manager) and he told SOA that he thought something hit the rear windshield (although he could not find any thing in his inspection and told me he has no way of knowing, "only God would know").

After I decided to order the parts regardless of the outcome (through the dealer) I called SOA and told them this. Gretchen told me that they would cover 1/2 the cost using a non OEM windshield and OEM gasket...Total cost is 360 before tax.

Would you guys bite and put an end to this even though you know that there was no impact (and remember the police report states this)? I have until Friday to decide (I'm pretty sure I know what I'll do).

Lets say for the sake of argument that nothing hit the window and some unrelieved stress in the car's structure finally shattered the glass. You are not covered under warranty for such a failure. I would see any willingness from SOA to offer some type of monetary assistance as a good thing and move forward with he repair.
ignore him, he'll go away.

UPDATE!!!

Today I showed the car to the service manager at the local Subaru dealer. He told me that he had no idea why this happened and that he has never seen this before.

I called SOA and reported this issue (told the service manager) and he told SOA that he thought something hit the rear windshield (although he could not find any thing in his inspection and told me he has no way of knowing, "only God would know").

After I decided to order the parts regardless of the outcome (through the dealer) I called SOA and told them this. Gretchen told me that they would cover 1/2 the cost using a non OEM windshield and OEM gasket...Total cost is 360 before tax.

Would you guys bite and put an end to this even though you know that there was no impact (and remember the police report states this)? I have until Friday to decide (I'm pretty sure I know what I'll do).

Nice gestere on their part, but it's hilarious for them to insist on non-OEM part :lol:

They know the OEM one has problems!

:lol:

Btw, nice thing about MA insurance is that all glass (not jut windshield) is covered deductible-free under comprehensive coverage.

Didn't someone here have a side window shatter under similar unexplained circumstances not all that long ago?

Tempered glass, by its nature, can shatter seemingly out of nowhere. A simple scratch can eventually cause a spontaneous shattering. Just do a quick search on tempered glass and you'll find reasons why. Everything from shower doors to tv stands suddenly blowing up......crazy and thankfully relatively rare.

Thing to note on tempered glass... you can bang on the stuff with a hammer all day long but tap the side edge with a butter knife and it shatters into tiny pieces...Also there is a thin layer of film on the inside and out. All are for safety reasons... The likelihood of something hitting the rear window and causing it to shatter like that is near impossible. More likely body flex or something sharp along the edge finally bore through the edge. Good luck on the repair and make sure all seams are inspected thoroughly...

• 4 years later...
Bumping an old thread - this just happened to me last week. About 20 degrees outside. Returned home in am. from dropping kids off at school. Parked car in garage. Returned to car at 11am and rear window was shattered. Thankfully, $50 deductible from insurance and all is well again. Really weird...

Archived