LegacyGT.com

Rear Vents/ defroster connection

Please feel free to move this if its in the wrong section, but does anyone know what the rear vents by the back windshield are for? They are located on both sides next to the back center tail light on that platform right behind the rear seats. Is air supposed to blow out of them or anything? I've tried every option to get air to come out of it and nothing seems to work. I have a 2008 subaru legacy btw.

I am just a little concerned because I just recently had body work done to the side of my car and they had to remove the back windshield and reinstall it and I have a feeling my back defroster is not working, and whether or not those vents are supposed to push out air.

Also, does anyone know where to locate the connection wires for the rear defroster? I was curious if I would be able to check it myself to see if they just completely forgot to hook it up. All of the condensation on the inside does not seem to go away even after a half an hour of running the rear defroster. I also think it is not clearing the outside of my window either...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

The vents are for circulation of air in the car, they dont have any activated function they are just there to keep the pressure between the trunk and the rest of the car. No air will blow through those vents ever. Also your rear defroster is a button on your dash.

The vents are for circulation of air in the car, they dont have any activated function they are just there to keep the pressure between the trunk and the rest of the car. No air will blow through those vents ever. Also your rear defroster is a button on your dash.

+1 on this answer.

Those vents have no function but that. Passive air pressure equilization. They are on all the rear decks, subwoofer equipped or not, and aside from that would be MUCH to small to benifit either sound quality or sound pressure from the subwoofer.

thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I know my rear defroster button is on my front console, however isn't there a wire that connects the rear window to the car, which then allows the actual defroster grid to work? I know on most cars you can see the connection wire which is usually accessable through the trunk. I am just curious to see if they actually hooked it up, because it seems like its not working at all, or if it is very very slowly. Like I said I waited a half an hour and nothing happened..

Archived