LegacyGT.com

The REAL scoop on the '06 legacy improvements

Hello All,

Many of you I know consider this to be a dead topic - talked about endlessly and for little purpose, but I wanted to let you guys know that I've gotten some information on the differences between the '05 and '06 Legacy that resulted in the improved IIHS score.

The ONLY difference is the side airbags. Here's my official response from Subaru below:

Hello Mr. _______:

Thank you for your patience. I apologize for the delay in responding

to

your message below. I was out of the office unexpectedly for the past

few

days.

Researching through our Vehicle Regulations Department and our

manufacturer,

the only change from the 2005 to 2006 Legacy Sedans with regards to the

crash testing was a change in the seat-mounted side airbag to include a

section at the pelvis level ("pelvic pusher.") The structural changes

that

we previously advised you of were not made. The structure of the 2005

and

2006 Legacy Sedans are the same. Upon researching and testing, it was

determined to change the side-impact airbags.

Your intention has always been to modify your 2005 Legacy Sedan to be

the 2006 Legacy Sedans with regards to these crash tests. As

previously

advised, Subaru of America would not recommend that you modify your

Legacy with the side-impact airbags equipped on the 2006 Legacy Sedans.

However, if you wish to make this modification and take responsibility

of

this modification, please contact your local Subaru dealer to check on

the

cost and availability of the side-impact airbags equipped on the 2006

Legacy

Sedans.

I am very sorry for the delays in providing you with the information

that

you have been seeking.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America

**Footnote: I AM going to make the modification. My wife drives the car and I want her to be as safe as possible **

Large waste of time and money,,hopefully one of the bags doesnt go off when you do the switch.

Annnd,,next year, suppose Subaru changes the bumper some and makes it 2% safer,you gonna switch out again??

Rudy:rolleyes:

+1 .... I wouldn't sweat it.

Yeah...and when was the last time you were T-boned? Plan on blowing thru some red lights do you?

If you're that paranoid about it, (since most serious injuries from vehicular accidents involve trauma to the head) just buy a matching set of Bell's for you and the wife.

I'm not sure I buy this.

The IIHS pages are:

2005: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=259

2006: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=602

If you look at the IIHS test results, the differences were for not just pelvis (went from M to G) but also torso (P to A) and structure/safety cage (A to G). I could be willing to believe the pelvis air bag improved the torso result (due to proximity, note the pelvis air bag in the pictures right below the torso air bag). But I don't think that explains the structure/safety cage improvement.

So the question remains, did Subaru make a structural change that this Subaru rep didn't mention, or is the difference due to a testing fluke (normal variation between units)? For the record, I've seen corporate reps be wrong on details before in correspondence like that, so I wouldn't necessarily take this guy's response as gospel. On the other hand, the structure/safety cage score difference was only one notch, so maybe it was unit variation.

Either way, there's still the improved rear test score to consider, too.

Take the money and send the wife to a defensive driving course. I guarantee she will be safer for the money spent than switch to the 2006 airbags. This would apply for almost every driver on here, not just her.

Who knows, she might even have fun doing it to :)

SO TRUE.

And yes, i do wear a helmet on trips to the mailbox. I also wear one to bed, just in case a passenger jet crashes into the side of my house that the bedroom is on while i'm sleeping.

dR

how much would the modification be? i mean 1 you have the extra air bags, over headers, sensors, etc...i would rather trade the car in if you really want those new safety features... if these things doesn't come with the car stock, i would feel safe in it even

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Hello Mr. _______:

Thank you for your patience. I apologize for the delay in responding to your message below. I was out of the office unexpectedly for the past few days.

Researching through our Vehicle Regulations Department and our

manufacturer, the only change from the 2005 to 2006 Legacy Sedans with regards to the crash testing was a change in the seat-mounted side airbag to include a section at the pelvis level ("pelvic pusher.") The structural changes that we previously advised you of were not made. The structure of the 2005 and 2006 Legacy Sedans are the same. Upon researching and testing, it was determined to change the side-impact airbags.

Your intention has always been to modify your 2005 Legacy Sedan to be

like the 2006 Legacy Sedans with regards to these crash tests. As previously advised, Subaru of America would not recommend that you modify your 2005 Legacy with the side-impact airbags equipped on the 2006 Legacy Sedans.

However, if you wish to make this modification and take responsibility of this modification, please contact your local Subaru dealer to check on the cost and availability of the side-impact airbags equipped on the 2006 Legacy Sedans.

I am very sorry for the delays in providing you with the information that you have been seeking.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America

so there WAS a second shooter behind the fence on the grassy knoll! i KNEW subaru was behind the cover-up!

Whenever the issue of safety comes up, this "you'll be fine", nonchalant, "stop being so paranoid" is received.

All I'm doing is providing information. Take it for what it's worth. Should all of you go out and do what I'm doing by replacing the side airbags? No, not if safety isn't your top priority. But it's the first thing on my mind, so why that bothers anyone or provokes mocking is beyond me. Some of you care mostly about performance; I care about safety. Different strokes for different folks.

By the way, I don't see how putting in the new airbags would somehow disrupt the integrity of the airbag system. Subaru would have no reason for changing the sensors/wiring because the only improvement is to the shape of the airbag. It should be a direct swap. If it's not, then I may have to reconsider.

As previously advised, Subaru of America would not recommend that you modify your 2005 Legacy with the side-impact airbags equipped on the 2006 Legacy Sedans. However, if you wish to make this modification and take responsibility of this modification, please contact your local Subaru dealer to check on the cost and availability of the side-impact airbags equipped on the 2006 Legacy Sedans.

did you actually read the reply?

I would imagine you'd be taking some risk upon yourself in changing the bags. Will they actually work after you attempt your install? And what if you sent one of them off, plus have you considered how much these bags REALLY cost? Airbags are not cheap and you might just be better off trading your 05 in for an 06 if you really are that paranoid about this.

IIRC, the side airbags are part of the SEAT.

Good luck uninstalling the old and installing the new, it's gonna be nasty.

Maybe you can just replace the 05 seat with the 06 one that has the bettAr side impact airbag.

I keed I keeed

YAh.

Replace whole front seats. Unplug. Unbolt. Lift out. Put new seat in, re-bolt, re-plug-in...

mod done... lots of money spent.

I am not one to complain, though. I have thought about changing out the seats and door panels just to get the Spec B red interior in a non-spec B car, then re-selling the black seats, someday down the road, when I actually do get a Legacy... If ya wanna wait that long, I'll make ya a deal!

Archived