LegacyGT.com

RE92 stupid question thread

stedler

Ok, just wandered out to my Legacy to see what tires it has on it... (never really looked before)

What's the deal with RE92's... Why does everybody hate them... are they like bridgestone "maypops" or something?:eek:

Do the souls of a thousand virgins go straight to hell each time you drive on them? :(

Are you risking death in a fiery explosion of fuel, rubber, and transmission fluid every time it rains?:spin:

Inquiring minds want to know.....:icon_chee

Seriously... we want to know...:cool:

thanx

They are okay tires. I have 45K on mine and it'll probably last another 20K. My only complaint is snow. They have a high pucker factor when the car starts drifting sideways due to the very slight camber on the road when you are still driving straight at 20 mph.

Chances are most of these guys are overdriving and then blaming the tires.

From what I understand, that's pretty much it. But the issue is, once you have overdriven the tires are nearly impossible to regain grip.

The tires suck. Really old design/material and very expensive. Track day, rain, autocross, snow, rallycross... Not an excuse for overdriving though, especially with everybody bitching about them so much, hehe.

I'd say they are at their best in the dry on public roads.

They are at their worst in the rain. Like I can't believe they are so bad suck. Takes a lot to make a 3300 pounds 50/50 torque split AWD car feel skittish in the rain, but these tires rise to the challenge.

They certainly aren't as bad as most people say, they're just a mediocre tire compared to many others in their class.

Will I buy another set? Nope, especially considering the price - but I'll keep them until they're worn out.

Guest JessterCPA

+1 on the expensive. No doubt I would not buy them new, but I have had zero problems with them in almost 30k miles and in 2 NJ winters.

Just my .02

Jesse

I have no problem with the tires either. 17k on them now and only a bubble on the sidewall that was caused by a pothole the size of a swimming pool (Thanks, NJDoT). I have blown through 10" of snow with the RE92's on, and driven in nasty rainstorms without much problem.

There are plenty of better tires out there, but I can't justify spending more money to remove perfectly good tires.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

So far I haven't had any complaints with my tires, of course I am a rather sedate driver. $2100 traffic fine in Seattle 17 years ago changed my driving habbits. (Highway Patrol took a rather dimview at me doing 150mph in a 73' Thunderbird with a 427CJ Dual Holley's w/ram air, supercharger, hooker headers, y pipes with muffler cutoffs, dual exhaust.....:icon_twis) was on I-5 between Seattle and Everette Wa. at 2am..... Not my smartest moment...:rolleyes::cool:

aren't you supposed to put tires on this thing is sets.... because of the AWD:confused:

Yea, but it's no difference to the differential then driving with one tire a few lbs less than the others. If you continually replace one tire at a time you may have problems. So it's probably best to do at least an axel at a time.

^^^according to to Xenonk, you can throw one new tire on...throw it on the front and let the open diff. take care of the difference.

That's good to know..

It was explained to me by the dealer that because of the new Symmetrical AWD... which splits power 45% to the front and 55% to the rear... and because that power is now constant to all wheels at all times, a tire that is new, (let's say that the old tires are worn 1/8 an inch or so) will cause binding in the driveline... just the same as if one tire is a little low on pressure..:eek:

Now I know the dealers can some times exaggerate things... and I've never owned a sube before... so I don't know... With my 99' Ford Ranger XLT Offroad, when one tire went you replaced all four, because of the locking front and rear diffs... but on the 05' Legacy, I don't know.. :iam:

Could we possibly get clarification??

Not that I doubt your answer... but would like to get a consensus on this...

^^^I don't think that you will get one. Subaru's official position is that the circumference of all tires must measure within 1/4" of each other. Keefe (Xenonk) believes that this is unnecessary. He has proved it through experience, and he is the tire guy around here. :lol:
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

If by overdriving, you mean the tires hydroplaning and not giving traction at speeds way under 60mph in wet conditions, and having little to no traction on snow and ice than I guess you are right :rolleyes:

Believe what you want to believe, and good luck with the hydroplaning!

Does pulling out of the driveway qualify as overdriving? :lol:

I would never run these tires in snow with less than about 2/3 tread depth from original. They just don't have much grip.

You guys have simply got to experiment with a good set of rubber on this car, whether it's summer or winter rubber.

You'll be very impressed with how good your car really is. =)

Chances are most of these guys are overdriving and then blaming the tires.

i broke loose on the freeway in stock tires trying to avoid an accident at about 55 mph in evening traffic, scared the sh*t outa me.

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

I always thought they were decent tires.... but then I realized how much they sucked when I changed to better tires, a world of a difference in dry, cold, and wet weather. Biggest difference was in the wet weather.

GT models should definitely get better tires than the re-92's... in fact all subaru's should if they are trying to be known as a "safe" car company.

Archived