LegacyGT.com

Radiator fan issue ::FIX::

It would appear that Subaru is aware of the problem with the radiator fan and have a solution in place for it. I sent my dealership an email about the problem and I just got this response:

On 3/2/06, nate wade subaru <parts@natewade.com> wrote:

Anthony

There is a fix for the car, we have been able to fix a few of the

cars with putting in some new relays and ECM. I have ordered the parts that

SHOULD fix the car. All e-mail when they are in.

Jason

I replied asking them if the new ECM would have the same fix installed on it that SOA loaded on my other one to fix the stutter issue. Hopefully it doesn't come back...

Anyway, if you are having the fan issue where it is always on, then email your dealership. The problem is known and they know what to do about it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after waiting for them to get back to me I finally called to set up the appointment. They have the parts there, they just don't know for sure that it will fix the problem. They know it has fixed the problem in the past, so they will give it a shot. They also said that the ECM has the latest programing from SOA, so I guess that means the stutter caused by it should still be fixed. Wouldn't that be great if they screwed up and I got a nice tuned ECM instead....? lol

I drop the car off tomorrow morning and they say it will take at least a day. They even are giving me a loaner, so I guess it isn't a total loss. I'll let you all know if it actually fixes the problem or if it was yet another waste of time at the Subaru dealership.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Just don't forget to have them reprogram all your keys (immobilizer).
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Yeah, it didn't take them long. I dropped the car off at about 8:00 this morning and they called me at 4:30 to tell me it was done. I'll pick it up in the morning and see how it goes.

What I don't understand is why they had to keep my car for 3 days to reflash the ECM for the stuttering thing. If replacing it only takes a couple hours, then why not do that instead?

OCDETAILS BLOG

Got the car back this morning. It works great now! Actually, it drives better than it did before too. Whatever was left of the stutter is totally gone. I am also feeling way more power when I'm cruising at 80 mph. Hitting the gas before never produced the pickup that I'm getting right now. I'm trying to remember how it felt before, but I never got from 80 to 100 that quick before.

What RPM are you guys at when you are cruising at 80 usually? Mine is bouncing around 3200 today.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I figured that. It just seemed odd. It was even idling a little higher than it normally does. It's probably just my imagination after driving around all day in an automatic Outback.

OCDETAILS BLOG

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stock motor. seriously. ;)

the techs were bitching about having to undo all the Cusco bracing to get the transmission dropped. :lol: Tough noogies....should have replaced the clutch back in Dec '04 when the car was new and I told you it wasn't right. :icon_tong

Eh, wish I could just email them. Called the dealer by my house, and called the one where I bought the car. Both need the car for diagnosis...
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

They might not have had any experience getting it fixed. My dealership said that they were just doing what has fixed other LGTs with this problem in the past. I'm sure the first few that reported the problem had to be diagnosed too.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Here are the part numbers and copy of the invoice the dealership gave me. All I can say is that my car is finally driving like the car I thought I was buying should drive. No stutter and no annoying cooling fan on all the time. Hopefully these part numbers will help your dealerships know what fixes the problem.

http://i1.tinypic.com/rlm8go.jpg

http://tinypic.com/rlm7mv.jpg

OCDETAILS BLOG

i know that at least one person in the old "fan club" thread had an AP and had to send it in to cobb to re-program in order to re-flash his new ecm to stg2.

anybody else have this happen? or is un-marrying the ap sufficient?

What I'd like to know is if I have an 06 now or an 05 for when I buy an AP. They said it had the latest programming that Subaru uses, so does that make in an 06?

OCDETAILS BLOG

it should still be an 05, by them saying that it has the lastest software it means that they did the reflashes to the ecu allrdy to fix the stutter and radiator fan fix.

one question: why the hell did you have them do the ecu replace if your just going to reflash over it and get rid of everything they just did?

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

They didn't reflash it again to fix the fan issue. They replaced it entirely. So flashing it with an AP shouldn't undo anything since the ECM that is in there right now is the way all ECMs from SOA for the Legacy are being programmed.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'd like to know that also.

Will COBB willingly take it back and re-program, and how do they know if your legitemate?

i emailed cobb regarding this and they said that it is un-necessary to update it as long as uou un-marry it. but i know at least one person CLAIMED to un-marry it and still had to send it(the AP) in for an "update"

i will start a thread about this. to see how many people with AP have done the fan fix and what was necessary to complete it without problems

They didn't reflash it again to fix the fan issue. They replaced it entirely. So flashing it with an AP shouldn't undo anything since the ECM that is in there right now is the way all ECMs from SOA for the Legacy are being programmed.
I doubt that's true. Hook up an OBD-II scan tool and read the Cal-ID.

Archived