LegacyGT.com

Quick question regarding STi Rear Caliper conversion

rnstein69

OK, I have everything that I need to do the STi brembo brake conversion on my 2005 LGT:

2007 sti ltd calipers

2004 sti rotors

sti pads

legacy brake lines

custom parking brake shoes (thanks to unclemat)

All I need now is the relocation bracket for the rear calipers (and wheels that will clear them, and those are on the way :))

so I was looking on fastwrx.com and the obvious choice was these for $249

Rear Brembo Adapters ONLY (no rotors)http://us.st1.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/Img/trans_1x1.gif

http://www.fastwrx.com/rebradkit.html

I noticed these for $195, thinking maybe I can save 55 bucks

Rear Two-Pot Caliper Adapters

http://www.fastwrx.com/retwcaad.html

So both Adapters seem to fit the 02-05 WRX, therefore I am assuming that both would bolt up to the 05+ LGT, correct? I have a feeling that the second one that I posted is only to upgrade an 02-05 WRX to the newer caliper design of the 06+ WRX? I am not sure. If no one knows I guess I will play it safe and get the first one in the first link that I posted. I would really hate to pull everything apart and have to do it all over again just because I bought the wrong adapter. Thanks!!

My parts list:

2007 sti limited calipers

DBA4000 slotted rotors (front and rear) - 2004 sti

Hawk HPS pads (sti)

StopTech ss braided lines (Legacy GT)

Motul dot5 fluid

custom parking brake shoes (so that a stock 2004 sti rotor can be used for the rear rather than paying more for a heavier, more expensive "custom" dba one)

I got the Rotors, Pads, and Lines from Gripforce-Brakes (ebay store) he has the best prices by far.

The Legacy has a total of 6 lines where the sti has 4. You have to go with Legacy lines if you are doing this conversion.

For the custom parking brake, check this thread out, he may have some left, I am not sure:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98966

Otherwise you would need to go with these if you wanted to use the LGT parking brake shoes:

http://www.fastwrx.com/dbastiadro.html

(or also sold as a kit including the rear caliper adapter bracket):

http://www.fastwrx.com/rebradkit.html

My question as stated in my first post is if I can go with the other bracket that cost $195 and is specified for use only on the WRX, I am wondering if it the same thing as the bracket that costs $249.

I am almost 100% sure that you have to go with the LGT brake lines, so since you have upgrades to ss lines; those should be ok to use with this conversion according to the research that I have done.

Rnstein69 - I used the first kit and it works wonderfully! Make sure you have a grinder that workd on metal though. You will need to take some material off the rear trailing arm for the bracket to fit. You will also need to remove the rear dust sheild from both sides.

PhilT - You can use LGT SS lines. When you mount the SS lines in the rear they Don't quite fit correctly. There is a little too much slack which makes the line bend funny. There are two | | guides on the caliper where you put the line between as a place holder. You will have to mount the line outside of those guides so as not to have too much slack and have the line bend funkily. I'll try to take pictures of what I'm takling about.

Thanks peterjmc..

I guess I will be purchasing the first kit then!! I remember you mentioning it taking about 6 weeks for delivery from fastwrx. Any reason for that? do they only make them per order?

And pics of how you ran the rear brake lines would be great!!

Yes, you have to use the sti bolts to mount the sti calipers. The bolts thread into the caliper itself. To my understanding the thread pitch or size of some sorts is different on the sti than that of the Legacy. If you try to use the Legacy caliper bolts on the sti caliper then you will damage the caliper (where the bolt should thread into).

You need front calipers bolts out of any year STI but MY05. Part # 901120103.

KNSBrake's rear brackets come with appropriate bolts so nothing extra needed.

Since there seems to be some Brembo inexperience in this thread, search for the proper torque specs on the front caliper mounting bolts. I believe fweasel made a post with the corrected numbers that are MUCH lower than those from the misprinted service manual. Aluminum threads don't take kind to over torquing. Antiseize is you friend as well.:)

Yes, correct torque spec is 80 ft/lbs (ask peterjmc :lol: j/k). Anti-sieze is a must there, too. Remember to lower the torque spec when using anti-sieze. Rule of thumb is supposedly to use 30% less torque. I usually use 10-15% less...

Thanks peterjmc..

I guess I will be purchasing the first kit then!! I remember you mentioning it taking about 6 weeks for delivery from fastwrx. Any reason for that? do they only make them per order?

And pics of how you ran the rear brake lines would be great!!

From what I understood FastWRX was switching suppliers of the bracket. I'm pretty sure that they should have them in stock now or should be able to source them quicker than I got them. Their supplier is a member here, brakeguru.

I'll take a picture or two of the lines tomorrow for you when it's light outside.

Yes, correct torque spec is 80 ft/lbs (ask peterjmc :lol: j/k). Anti-sieze is a must there, too. Remember to lower the torque spec when using anti-sieze. Rule of thumb is supposedly to use 30% less torque. I usually use 10-15% less...

Yes, use anti-sieze! If you don't here is a walk through how to fix what will break. :lol:http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106626&highlight=brembo+caliper+thread

Well, I went ahead and ordered the $250 bracket from fastwrx last week. Hopefully it wont take 6 weeks to get here. The only other thing that I am waiting on is my wheels to clear these brembos. They have taken long enough so far. If they come in soon looks like I will be doing this all in the beginning of April. I will be sure to get some pics up when it is all done.

Kind of ironic, but I just got the bracket in the mail yesterday afternoon!! It looks to be very well made with a nice finish on it. All I need now are my wheels.

nice! i got two sets of wheels that fit but no brackets :lol:

one day...

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived