LegacyGT.com

Quick door unlock question

j-rock

I couldn't find anything by searching yet, so I'll just ask.

I've done the keyless remote sequence to turn off the infernal beeping, but what about the lock/unlock function itself? Is there a way to change that? I can't stand the way they decided to design the unlock sequence: Press once for driver door unlock only, wait one second and press button again to unlock other doors. But if you press too soon it doesn't work. If you wait too long, it doesn't work.

I want all doors to unlock with one push of the button (the way it should). Any place I can find out about changing this settings with the keyless remote? (2005 2.5GT manual)

no wires are needed to be messed with. Go to the dealer, it's a setting in the Subaru Select Monitor Tool.

It's also not really that big of a deal, you'll get over it before you get it set the way you like it. Almost all newcars do this now, it's a safety and security feature. I happen to like it.

Moved to Interior

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Meh... I've had the car over 6 months now, and it still pisses me off every time I go to unlock the passenger door.

Press twice, but not too fast! Not too slow!! Oops, darn. Try again... okay now the doors are open! BS if you ask me. Over-engineering, actually.

Not to mention when you have a passenger trying to get in the car while it's pouring out, and the door isn't unlocked yet because you didn't press the second time at the right millisecond.

press, pause, press

that's all it takes

you have almost 5 seconds to hit it the second time

But what about pressing it too early? Then you have to start the whole sequence over again. It just becomes a pain if you're in a hurry, and when I want my car to unlock, it should un-friggin lock with no pause whatsoever. It's too fancy, and if there is ever a situation where my passenger needs to immediately get in the car I don't want this "feature" to screw them.

My '97 Maxima used to have this feature, but without the dreaded pause between pressing the button. That way, it was very useful and convenient. Now, you're right, it's a PITA.
That would be perfect. Hit it once to unlock driver, twice with no pause needed to open passenger. I could live with that.

Well, of course... but you'd have to wait the right amount of time again too. I don't want to make it sound like I still can't get my passenger doors unlocked after having the car for six months :icon_bigg It's just those several times a week when I try to unlock the door for someone and it's not unlocked, or I'm in a real hurry and it's a total irritation to have to wait (yes for even one second). And of course I would hate for something bad to happen because I couldn't let someone in fast enough because I pushed the button too quickly four times in a row because an 18 wheeler is coming and there's no time! Shite! My friend is dead! All because Subaru over-designed what should be a simple function.

Yah I would have preferred it to unlock all doors with one click. But oh well.

As far as timing:

1) Press unlock

2) Wait until your lights are done flashing or are *nearly* done

3) Press unlock again

That should work 100% of the time. That is, of course, assuming you can see your lights :)

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I've tried the dealer before, they told me at 2 diff ones that their tool cannot change this. I have one more where i have a buddy that works that I'm gonna check out soon, but I assume the answer is no. (if you are gonna try your dealer, don't forget to bring BOTH remotes)

So, I think the only way is to play with wires.....someone did a writeup on it

(PS, I hate it too......it should be click once (short) to unlock drivers side only, and click and hold for 3 secs to unlock all doors or something. I find myself clicking 2 - 4 times to make sure the door is open for passengers.....I think I'll just stop'n driving people :D)

Here you go:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2972&highlight=click+unlock

for some reason, centerpunch did not want it in the HOW TO Forums... :confused:

I don't think they make a car that you don't have to click twice from the factory, it is a safety feature.

Do what I do and start unlocking BEFORE you get to the car, you can hear the beeps to know when you got the other door open for the passenger...

Working in the computer industry, I see this type of thing all the time. People don't like to change their habits, even for something as trivial as slowing down your clicking of a remote...

Plus, I think that people are used to double clicking quickly on a mouse button all day so they get out to their cars and click really fast, and with Subaru, that won't work...

Thanks for digging that up again! I never realized that *problem* had been solved even before I bought the car. Last summer, I asked my dealer about having them reprogram to unlock all the doors at once, and they suggested they'd charge to plug the monitor tool in and I let it go then. But I've had the car over a year now and this still bugs me a lot. I'm going to try the dealer again, along with trying to get him to swap my key fobs for the new less-sensitive model, but it's nice to know that if that doesn't work I've got the DIY option.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

no wires are needed to be messed with. Go to the dealer, it's a setting in the Subaru Select Monitor Tool.

It's also not really that big of a deal, you'll get over it before you get it set the way you like it. Almost all newcars do this now, it's a safety and security feature. I happen to like it.

Moved to Interior

OK this is really old and NO ONE has ever proven up that it can be done with the Select Monitor.

So Mr. Wiener. Cite real proof or stop spreading manure. As a matter of fact I think Mr. Wiener has spread this manure previously without substantiation.

Real proof is a manual citation or verifiable instance of anyone actually having this done at a dealer.

I connected the wires and never thought about it again until this BS about programming the car resurfaced.

Sorry if I sound like a troll but never ending urban myths about the car are very irritating in light of all the great and correct info that people post here.

Well, I'll report back after I talk to my dealer... but it might not be for a couple of weeks. The downside is that my Subie dealer is pretty small, and has a combined service shop with a bunch of other makes, so even if it IS possible, they might not know about it. Aren't there a couple actual Dealer's on this forum that we could ask?

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I don't think they make a car that you don't have to click twice from the factory, it is a safety feature.

I rented a Volvo V50 wagon this past weekend, and you can change a bunch of settings pretty easily on the car's multi-function (mostly stereo and HVAC) display, inluding this setting. Much of the stuff that can be set with the Subaru Select Monitor can be done by the driver.

As an aside, you can also set the A/C to off. Just plain off. Never comes on until you hit on again (unless, I think, you choose to defrost the front window, which I could live with). Nice.

Working in the computer industry, I see this type of thing all the time. People don't like to change their habits, even for something as trivial as slowing down your clicking of a remote...

I don't want to change my habits, I'm the consumer, so my habits are correct. I know how to open the doors, but I don't like it. Trivial would be fixing many of the niggling details that bother many about the car (most could be fixed for little or no cost).

Andy

OK this is really old and NO ONE has ever proven up that it can be done with the Select Monitor.

So Mr. Wiener. Cite real proof or stop spreading manure. As a matter of fact I think Mr. Wiener has spread this manure previously without substantiation.

Real proof is a manual citation or verifiable instance of anyone actually having this done at a dealer.

I connected the wires and never thought about it again until this BS about programming the car resurfaced.

Sorry if I sound like a troll but never ending urban myths about the car are very irritating in light of all the great and correct info that people post here.

I've been to the dealer and they said that they could not reprogram my '06...

PolarDog

Here you go:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2972&highlight=click+unlock

for some reason, centerpunch did not want it in the HOW TO Forums... :confused:

Do what I do and start unlocking BEFORE you get to the car, you can hear the beeps to know when you got the other door open for the passenger...

Plus, I think that people are used to double clicking quickly on a mouse button all day so they get out to their cars and click really fast, and with Subaru, that won't work...

My 2001.5 VW Passat wagon had all doors open on one press of the key fob. Don't know if the newer ones do.

• 2 weeks later...

While revisiting this question, my service guy indicated that there was a tool that they use to make certain adjustments. He said to check the owners manual for a list of adjustments they could make. I did find a list on page 21 in the front of the manual, but it did not list any door unlocking options. I am wondering if there is a total list of "dealer mods" out there...

MWiener2 did point to this thread some time ago...: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4071&highlight=ecu+smart

PolarDog

Archived