LegacyGT.com

Questions for those with Autometer Nexus gauges.

jim1969

Does anyone have any pics of these day/night mounted colored red? I think the white is off from our cluster so I wondered how the red looked. Could anyone snap day/night pics of them by temporarily switching them to red?

How noisy are they? I've read a couple of posts that these things make noticible noise.

Thanks

I'll get this done for you, bro, in the next day or two.... :)

The stepper motor is noticeable at-idle if the interior is completely silent otherwise - however, once you start moving, you should not notice the noise due to other ambient sound sources (i.e. engine, road, HVAC, radio, etc.).

Just a note - I belive that with both the all-red theme and the all-blue theme, you'd lose the full-dial warning feature, and will only see the "WARN" light illuminate. I'd have to check my manual to be sure about this, though.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

When the gauges are colored red, the full dial warn turns to blue, in all the other colors it stays red. I haven't tried it, but that's what the manual says :)

I also notice the noise, maybe a little bit more since I have the oil press gauge, which is moving even at idle. But, as TSi said, once you're moving you don't hear it. All I hear is my damn dash rattle :mad:

I'll try to get some pictures too, since my gauges are in the cubby hole, and closer to the rest of the red lights in the interior. That'll give you a couple of different angles between TSi and myself.

J.R. - Thanks for the update on the instructions! Looks like I'm just a little too forgetful for my own good! :lol:

Jim1969 - The pictures are now resident in my digicam - I'll upload them when I get home, I left the cable there! Doh! :(

As an early word, though, I do notice that the "red" on the NEXUS is slightly - but noticeably - more "orange" than the red ring surrounding our gauges..... This does not seem to get any better even if I dim the NEXUS gauge a little.

With the "white," yes, it is also of slightly but noticeably more "yellow/pink/orange" hue than our gauge's white - however, this can be corrected-for by simply dimming the NEXUS one level lower than that of the brightness of the gauge-cluster.

Of course, you'll then run in to some daylight visibility problems (which, in my experience, is common to all of these "LED-backlit" gauges), unless you either have the gauges in a cubby or well shielded.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Ok, here's the pic - sorry for the blurry/fuzzy take, but this was without my tripod.

As you can see, it's quite a bit more "pink/orange" than on our ring surround....

But what I failed to notice this AM was that, as the picture would suggest, it seems that the "red" of the NEXUS actually is spot-on for our gauge needle/pointer! :icon_excl

I'll verify this tomorrow AM.....

red1.thumb.jpg.a6fa3961a647f6adcf6864fd9d1eb1cb.jpg

^ I'm currently having the hardest time deciding if I want to pursue further NEXUS instrumentation - cost being the problem....

Sure, I like the full-dial warn as well as the recall/download ability, but honestly, the latter can be had with logging, and the former, well, the VEI gauges offer the same, at a fraction of the cost. I plan to tuck ancillary gauges (oil pressure and EGT) inside my cubby - and in this manner, actually, the VEI gauges may work out even better as they offer audible warning, which would come in handy as I would not normally drive around with all gauges exposed.

But truthfully, having the gauges in the cubby does go around one particular issue of concern for me, which is that of daytime visibility - if you can get the gauges recessed deep enough in the cubby, that would help things a lot in this respect.

I'll flip my NEXUS to "red" again this afternoon, to see how well it matches our console "red" illumination. :)

Hum....

The color match between the NEXUS "red" and the dash/console red backlighting seems somewhat closer-match to my eyes, but that's taking a lot of distance into account, as my gauge is all the way over on the A-pillar.

Sorry, bro, but that's as good as I get. :(

thanks for the pics. looks great. Is the red a good match with our red from the instrument console? It looks pretty close from the pics (closer than the whites are).

I think the gauges are a little brighter than the trim, but if you dim them it might look pretty close.

In my opinion, the gauges actually match very well at night. My oil press gauge is slighty more yellow than the other two for whatever reason. During the day the gauges have a reddish tint to them, especially with sunglasses on.

I guess that it's normal...but I haven't seen any other cars to really verify that. Once the engine gets above about 2000rpm, the press goes to about 85-90 and hovers right in that area.

• 7 years later...

Autometer gauges are available from virtually any large online retailer. The Nexus series, as of just a couple of years ago, could even be special-ordered by my local AutoZone/Advanced Auto/etc.

They're favorites in the domestic crowd, so check the popular domestic resources, first. Back in '05, I bought mine at Summit Racing (which is more or less "local" for me :)), but I now no longer know whether if they have the best pricing.

Archived