LegacyGT.com

Questions on fixing dash rattle myself

mmm def

Hey I have that annoying vibration under the drivers side dash, I was playing around last week and took off the side panel of the dash. There is a metal bar with a few bolts which goes from the frame of the car to the dash, looks pretty strong, however I think I need to take this off to get to the side of the dash near the A-pillar. Does anybody know if it is safe to unscrew this part? I'll try to take pics of what I'm talking about when I get home from work. Thx.

yup it's the same rattle. try 2nd or 3rd gear around 2500 -3500 rpms accelerating about 1/2 throttle. That and the 5th gear 50-60 mph is where I get it the worst, and I hate it!!!! I am having my oil changed this Sat at Subaru and I asked to have a Tech take a ride with me to hear it. I'm going to wait until Sat before I start pulling things apart.

You could try adding some foam and/or felt tape to silence the offending piece. As an example, take a look at this link- it's for the new Mini, but it might give you an idea on how to fix your rattle. [url]http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61947&highlight=fixing+rattles[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='il collaudatore'][url]http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61947&highlight=fixing+rattles[/url][/QUOTE] Nice, now if some come up with that for our car. I have been getting rattles here and there. I was only able to fix one by myself and the dealer "can't find" the other ones.

anyone able to find out where this annoying rattle/buz is? I have it, and it drives me nuts....Luckily, this is my wife's car, and I dont drive it much, but when I do, Im totally bothered by it. It seems to be prevalent during cold driving, accelerating, and decelerating, coming from behind the air vent on the drivers side. I cant seem to get my arm up there to find it....

I actually just got the car back from getting that "fixed". They said that the fuel lines were rubbing agains the fire wall. Nonetheless, I got the car back and it still has the buzzing. Anyway, I'm bringing the car back on the 19th.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Mine sounds like it is coming from the upper door panel as well on the driver's side, plus over the last few hundred miles, my car has developed one on the passenger side somewhere near the glove box that has been driving me absolutely batty, since it seems to happen all the time, whenever I hit a bump or am under moderate acceleration at any speed/gear. I need to take time this weekend to find it so I can drive again without having to blare the radio.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bump a 3+ y.o. thread, but I'm trying to solve the infamous creaky dash issue myself.

I found a tech bulletin off the L7.com site, but damn, it means taking apart the whole dash, shaving away the tips of two plastic «pins» that clip the dash onto the body, and putting non-woven material in lieu of those tips.

Is there any way to get to the insides of the dash by removing, say, the cluster? I'm able to reproduce the noise by pressing down on the dash where it meets the windshield, and even on the top vent (the one that blows on the side window).

Removing the A-pillar was a surprisingly uneventful procedure. In other words, the trim came out with absolutely no hiccups or issues. Removing the dash is more time consuming and tedious than it is difficult.

I finally managed to eliminate nearly all of my dash rattles. Ensure that your review mirror is secured, as that generated a rattle that seemed to come from the dash. The windshield plays acoustical games on you. Once that was tightened up along with dampening the dash plugs, all is well!

Archived