LegacyGT.com

Question on Sub Amp Wiring

Francis

A few months back I had a set of JL speakers installed in the front doors with a JL e2150 amp under the front driver seat. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a JL Stealthbox sub and a JL e1400 amp. These were installed by a local Tweeter with the amp for the sub mounted under the rear wagon floor.

I was unclear where the speaker inputs for the sub amp came from. I thought they might have come from the pre-outs of the front speaker amp but I checked and they are not in use.

I discovered that when I turn down the gain for the front amp that it reduces the sound for both the front speakers and the rear sub. It seems that they must have spliced the inputs for the sub to the already amped front speaker wires.

Does this make sense as the outputs from the front speakers incorporate a crossover that is set for the mids and tweeters?

Any comments or suggestions would be great.

I partially pulled up the trim panel on the driver door threshold. The wires going to the sub amp appear to be spliced into the wires for the front speakers.

I could not tell if these front speaker wires were coming from the front amp or coming from the radio.

It would seem that they must be coming from the front amp on the way to the front speakers due to the fact that when I change the gain on the front amp it changes the volume of the front speakers and the rear sub?

sounds like tweeter treated it like a stock setup and grabbed the high level inputs off your front speakers. Take it back and tell them they did it wrong and you want the pre-amp line level RCA outs from the 4 channel amp routed to the RCA line level input on the 2 channel sub amp. And tell them they're a bunch of morons while you're at it.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I spoke with Tweeter and they did use the amplified, crossed over signal from the front speaker amp for the inputs for the sub amp. They adjusted the crossover on the front amp so that all of the signal would go through.

They have agreed to run RCA's from the unamplified outputs on the front amp to the sub amp tomorrow night.

Manville - I will let you know when the issue is resolved.

I spoke with Tweeter and they did use the amplified, crossed over signal from the front speaker amp for the inputs for the sub amp. They adjusted the crossover on the front amp so that all of the signal would go through.

They have agreed to run RCA's from the unamplified outputs on the front amp to the sub amp tomorrow night.

Manville - I will let you know when the issue is resolved.

Unfrickingbelievable...

I will need to know the specific Tweeter location, name of installer and name of salesperson.

Tweeter fixed the wiring issue for me last night. They ran RCA's from the Pre-Out on the amp for the front speakers to the speaker inputs on the sub amp.

Took them a little while as they had to remove the front driver seat to access the amp for the front seakers.

Definitely has a bit more sound now. Still need to fine tune the amp settings.

Despite the initial issue with the incorrect wiring, they fixed the issue quickly. The total charge for installing the Stealthbox and sub amp came to just a little over $300 including the wiring.

Archived