LegacyGT.com

Question: How restrictive are Stock Cans?

acooper5

How restricted are the stock cans, not modified? I have a 3" set up now and my tuner said I can go down to 2.5" pipes without a problem. I just want to quiet the exhaust down so I think I am going to go with this option, meaning perrin mid and y pipes. I am wondering though if I really need to modifiy the stock cans or can I get away without...

Any thoughts?

Semper Fi.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
interesting, thanks for letting me know. I suppose it will be a little bit better if I moddify them then? I am more worried about the back pressure issue, since the car was tuned with a 3 inch exhaust, Greddy EVO 2, and I put perrin mid and y's on with stock cans, will I run into a major problem with back pressure for the stock mufflers?
Semper Fi.

my main reason for getting them would be for the sound.

the power/$$ ratio for exhausts is pretty low.

might as well save the money for other things like a dyno tune.

But i think the leggy is quite a bit too quiet for me. i cant hear anything. I would rather hear exhaust than road noise from my hankooks (and there is TONS of road noise)

car for sale. PM me!

my main reason for getting them would be for the sound.

+1 on the Perrin mid/Y (performance and sound)...I also threw on AVO Mufflers -- very nice, deep. It was great at the track to actually be able to hear the engine a little bit for a change. It's sooo quiet stock.

acooper, Have you added the stock cans to your car yet?

Anyone else - I have a perrin up/dp and cobb exaust all the way back from there. I am looking at putting stock cans back on because I am feeling sleepy. From what I see here, I will not need to re-tune for the stock cans? Also, I assume that stock 07 LGT cans will fit an 05 LGT?

acooper, Have you added the stock cans to your car yet?

Anyone else - I have a perrin up/dp and cobb exaust all the way back from there. I am looking at putting stock cans back on because I am feeling sleepy. From what I see here, I will not need to re-tune for the stock cans? Also, I assume that stock 07 LGT cans will fit an 05 LGT?

You will not need a retune for stock cans. The 07 cans will fit on an 05. If you are looking to quiet down your exhaust like me, stock cans on an aftermarket mid/y is the way to go. I'm tired of getting tickets from the police.

Ok! This may have been discussed before but like others I don't have time to search all the threads. You speak of modifying stock cans. What is involved?

I fyou don't have teh time to search for how to do it then I guess you don't have the time to do the mod so nevermind it :lol:

Thanks!

You will not need a retune for stock cans. The 07 cans will fit on an 05. If you are looking to quiet down your exhaust like me, stock cans on an aftermarket mid/y is the way to go. I'm tired of getting tickets from the police.

There is no back pressure issue. The exhaust has cooled down substantially by the time it gets back there so it does not need as much volume. That is also why just adding cans or open pipes doesn't make a difference.
How many seconds does it take exhaust to flow from piston to tailpipe at max flow?

Archived