LegacyGT.com

Question: High RPM Shift - Smooth or Hesitation

I have been waiting a while before posting this since it may sound a bit strange, but I really need to know the answer. For those with 5MT 05 Legacy GTs (or any model WRX), I have a question. If you quickly shift from 1st to 2nd at 4,500+ RPMs (such as if you were accelerating onto a freeway from a dead stop or were trying to get the best 0-60 time), does the power pick-up seamlessly right after the shift or is there a little hesitation? The reason I ask is that I have been having what I call throttle-response issues (which I am trying to work out with Subaru) with my WRX, where the scenario above causes a severe bucking/jerking as if the car hesitates when 2nd gear is engaged. This occurs if I try to shift fairly quickly - if I take my time (2-3 seconds) and feather the throttle, it does not occur (I have tried many variations of the amount of throttle and duration of the shift to try to eliminate this). When I test drove the 05 Legacy GT 5MT, it did not appear to seamlessly pickup the power in 2nd gear in this same scenario (i.e., it had a slight hesitation). I am just trying to figure out if this is something that should or should not occur, especially in the 05 GT. I would think that Subaru would set the gearing where a 1-2 shift at high RPMs would be in the optimal point of the powerband in 2nd gear (and seamless acceleration, no hesitation). It may be my driving, but I have been driving manuals for 20 years and even the recent cars I have driven (BMW 330, G35, TSX) I have not had this occur. As for my WRX, I believe it is ECU related since the problem is slight when the ECU is reset (both by the dealer and myself) and gets progressively worse as the weeks go by after the reset (along with the other issues). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim

Sounds like a problem that won't be fixed by the "grounding mod," which is unmitigated voodoo. Generally, you should be able to grab second as quickly as the gearbox will let you, and there shouldn't be any bucking or hesitation. Something isn't right. Now, with a turbo car, if you miss the shift point and fall out of boost, you will get that lack of seamlessness that you describe. That's a technique thing. Generally, the best way to shift turbo Scoobies is to rev, breathe, shift, throttle. The syncros don't like to be rushed, and that slight pause will help this matter. Kevin

Archived