LegacyGT.com

Put my gauges in the ashtray

CwhillVT

I decided that the steering column was not a very aesthetically pleasing mounting location(to me) for my gauges (boost and oil pressure). Additionally I felt that the A-pillar gauge pod was, for lack of a better word, Ricetastic. Also, my cubby was out because it houses my sirius tuner. So here is my install:

I removed my ashtray and cig lighter. Made my own mounting brackets from some metal i had laying around. I then cut a piece of lexan to fit between the opening and the gauges. I found that the gauges were too bright so I used tinting film on the lexan. I wired them such that in the dayime they light up white(close match to the dash gauges) then when the headlights are turned on they switch red(matches the red button illumination). I accomplished this switching action using a single pole double throw relay(SPDT).

I'll try to post some daytime pics tomorrow so you can see "daytime mode" when it is actually daylight outside. With the tinted lexan it also looks stealth when the car is off- looks like the info center or the radio display when those are off.

I was unable to find pics of other people using this location for gauges- I'm sure that im not the first- I'd love to see how other did it.

See pics below.

133_3356.thumb.jpg.dff8b9b5a2e2d92102e6cd3849b35307.jpg

133_3350.thumb.jpg.7666f9d61eeccd1d01a052870500b7fe.jpg

133_3357.thumb.jpg.cbc3a7e650b87a03594f426930aef440.jpg

133_3355.thumb.jpg.8452347e94df0cac91ea2678cb335cdb.jpg

I'll post a few pics with the shifter surround off tomorrow or the next day as well as some day time photos.

how do you have your sirius mounted, by the way?

Here are some pics of my sirius reciever(pre-gauge install). And yes- the cubby door still closes ftw.

129_3000.thumb.jpg.f1b75beedb66368f0bfc94597ffc86d2.jpg

130_3005.thumb.jpg.ee31369f6a5b92457b00d69af4284b3b.jpg

No so easy to glance at

I'm with MW on this one.

I'll say it is original at the very least.

I placed my boost on the steering column, right next to my knocklite. Only thing it blocks is the Eco Gauge, not something I pay terrible attention to :lol:.

I will agree with you CwhillVT, however, on the A-pillar location for gauges. I've resorted to killing my cup holder option and placing my next 3 gauges in there. And I'm designing it so the sliding door still closes.

Yeah, I know, those will be even harder to glance at, but, for the Oil Temp, Pressure and EGT, once the car is tuned, I'll barely use those, save the Oil Temp to see when the motor is ready to really scream; but that one can be looked at while at a light. And since the gauges have a warning LED, I can see that in my peripheral vision if its flashing like crazy if there is an issue.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 1 month later...

Not so easy but it's where most muscle cars have theirs. I miss the ones on my marauder. Marauder basicly took spot of ashtray.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/Marauder/e8226a6a.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/Marauder/7ff0d15a.jpg

BTW OP, did you have any day time picts of the gauges?

Nice idea... I've been playing around with putting my OmniFi DMP1 mp3 player in there... it's an in-dash and I really miss it... matches Legacy interior as well.. except I know I'd have to get the dang dremel out..

• 1 year later...
Guest thelosmos
I decided that the steering column was not a very aesthetically pleasing mounting location(to me) for my gauges (boost and oil pressure). Additionally I felt that the A-pillar gauge pod was, for lack of a better word, Ricetastic. Also, my cubby was out because it houses my sirius tuner. So here is my install:

I removed my ashtray and cig lighter. Made my own mounting brackets from some metal i had laying around. I then cut a piece of lexan to fit between the opening and the gauges. I found that the gauges were too bright so I used tinting film on the lexan. I wired them such that in the dayime they light up white(close match to the dash gauges) then when the headlights are turned on they switch red(matches the red button illumination). I accomplished this switching action using a single pole double throw relay(SPDT).

I'll try to post some daytime pics tomorrow so you can see "daytime mode" when it is actually daylight outside. With the tinted lexan it also looks stealth when the car is off- looks like the info center or the radio display when those are off.

I was unable to find pics of other people using this location for gauges- I'm sure that im not the first- I'd love to see how other did it.

See pics below.

What shift knob is that?

I completely removed the ashtray assembly and cigarette lighter. So no- the ability to close it is lost as there is no more door.

OK - thanks, I think I'm gonna try to keep the door if at all possible, I really like this gauge location...

...is that even possible?

With the size of the gauges and the way that the ashtray door is integrated into the assembly I think it would be hard to do. I thought about trying but you would need to do some major hacking and modifying. also, the door only opens at maybe 45degrees which would make viewing the gauges difficult. but if you attempt it I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

Archived