LegacyGT.com

Purchasing out of state

hlin

yoohoo, my first post. I need advice and experience for those who purchased new cars out of state. I live in the state of TN. After receiving several quotes from dealers, the cheapest came from MS about 70 miles away. I quickly jump to DMV of TN and read that if I purchase the vehicle out of state, in order to register and title the vehicle, I have to pay the tax, registration fee, and title fee again in TN. The tax in TN is 9.25% and I'm trying my best to avoid the fee. I spoke with one of my friend and he said just let the Mississippi dealer title the vehicle and just pay registration fee when I receive the vehicle in TN. The title remains in Mississippi. Registration cost about $25 which not a big deal. Is my friend correct? Thank you for your expert advice.

don't know much about the laws down there, but here, in NY, if I were to buy a car in NJ, or CT/Mass, I would have to register the car in NY, and pay the sales tax for my city code, in NY. So, there is no apparent way to beat the taxes here, unless of course, I knew someone in Jersey/CT/MA that would let me use his/her address for 'purchasing' the car. Then, once that is all done, I could re-register the car in NY, and save on the taxes that way, since I would have paid the taxes in another state already. Probably not the wisest thing for me to do, cause it would be too much of a hassle...especially with Insurance and all... Hope that helps, i.

In: Thanks for the response. I hate hearing the truth. I use to live in NJ. Jersey have more deals and selection than TN due port of Elizabeth/Newark. Axis: The dealer in TN won't match the pricing. I guess the demand high and he knows the cars will sell. Thanks-I will keep trying...

Haven't had to deal w/ this yet for the Legacy -- haven't bought one yet, and still comparing to the Accord and TSX -- but I did do an out-of-state purchase for our Odyssey. November 2002, nobody was dealing off MSRP on the Odyssey in New England, so after finding the best Odyssey board around ([url]www.odyclub.com[/url]), I found a dealer in Chicago that was discounting them enough to make the trip well worthwhile. The whole deal was handled over the phone and email. Basically, you don't pay any taxes or registration to the dealer in this case. Once I got the van, I had to pay my local sales tax when I registered it. For me, it worked out especially well because MA is only 5% where Chicago was almost 8 I think. For you, it sounds like you're getting stuck w/ the reverse. Sadly, I don't believe there's a good, legal way around that. So, I'd encourage you to look around -- for me, it was well worth the trip in the savings I had off the price of the van. The tax, you're stuck w/ either way so might as well get the best price you can on the car... Stefan

Archived