LegacyGT.com

Pull the motor?

• Moderators

Got under the car the other day and found a couple of new issues--namely a coolant leak towards the drivers rear (pretty sure it's coolant...) and a leaky passenger VCG. I have a number of other items that are still on my list as well. The full list would be:

• Timing belt, all idlers, water pump, cam seal replacement
  • New radiator--old one will come out anyway for TB stuff
  • Front banjo bolt removal
  • Oil cooler gasket
  • Passenger VCG
  • Motor mounts
  • Up pipe bracket replacement / repair--pretty sure I cross threaded it into the block last time and one of the heat shield bolts broke of in it as well
  • Passenger cam sensor seal (drivers side as well?)
  • New OCVs
  • Heat blanket for up pipe

Other things that I could do "while I'm there" or while there is extra room:

• replacement hoses as needed (heater hoses, breathers) [freerangeracig kit?]
  • Drive belts
  • 1/2 moon seals
  • A bit of a wire "tuck" with the new fuel line setup
  • Install oil pressure setup in the main galley plug
  • Driver's side VCG as preventative maintenance

I'm seriously considering pulling the motor. I feel like it would certainly take some time to do it up front, but then everything else should be a cake walk, especially having access to the cam bolts so I can use an impact wrench. Anything else? Is this completely crazy? Do I dare touch headgaskets, rear main seal, or anything else while I'm there?

Other driving factor is that I think I can borrow a car for at least a couple or few weeks to do this.

I know that I can do everything with the motor in the car, I just think pulling it might actually reduce the overall stress, backache, etc.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If it was my car I would pull the motor to knock out that list and do a general inspection of anything else that may pop up. On a customers car it would not be so clear cut and would depend on their plans for the car longer-term, and how risk-tolerant they are.

That being said, the timing belt and VCG are about as easy of a job you can do in-bay as any. The motor mounts and uppipe/thread repair are going to be tougher with the engine in the car.

• Moderators

Thanks, Rick. The driving factors for me are really the access to cam bolts with an impact and the ability to do a full once-over while it's out. Car is 10 years old and it would be nice to get a really good look.

I can't speak to the up-pipe repair, but the motor mounts aren't that difficult. They are fiddly / there is a risk of getting your fingers crushed, but I was able to do it in an afternoon.

Nothing on the list is particularly difficult or anything that I'm particularly uncomfortable with doing on it's own. Pulling the motor would really just mean less time leaning over the bay or lying on my back and easier access overall for everything.

Plus it might be fun :)

Having done 2/3rds of that list without taking out the motor I would recommend removal. I've helped pull two motors out now and it is not really that bad. Just don't forget the 14 mm Allen and 10mm bolt needed for the clutch fork!

Clutch

intake to TGV o-rings

1/2 moons

clean the grounds on the back of drivers side head

heater hoses

drive belts

breather hoses from VC's, check them for age cracks

oil return hose from turbo

new turbo inlet hose

bolt turbo to up pipe

do not touch HG's unless your going all the way and rebuild them and lower end of block.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators

Clutch [NEW]

intake to TGV o-rings

1/2 moons

clean the grounds on the back of drivers side head

heater hoses

drive belts

breather hoses from VC's, check them for age cracks

oil return hose from turbo

new turbo inlet hose

bolt turbo to up pipe

do not touch HG's unless your going all the way and rebuild them and lower end of block.

Clutch has 10k miles on it, intake orings are new. Oil return hose is new, turbo inlet is new. I may go ahead and bolt the turbot to the up pipe, but maybe not.

Will add in 1/2 moons, grounds, heater hoses, drive belts, breather hoses.

I wonder if I should just by an entire silicon hose kit from the freerange guy...I've been disappointed with a number of silicon hoses in the past due to fitment.

You should buy hoses from msprank -- I have the Venair and, other than the funny fitment of the BPV hose, they're great. That said, the BPV hose is formed to be a bit more compatible with an aftermarket BPV/BOV on a wider TMIC, like the GSTMIC. It might fit that better.

I have a samco BPV that currently fits well with my Samco inlet, so no worries there.

Have yo uinstalled all of the venair hoses? Do they all actually fit?

Other than a 5/8th" 90-bend to connect a breather hose to the PCV, they fit just fine and I've no complaints.

Well screw it. I guess I'll learn to pull the motor then.

Only think left is to decide what color to paint the valve covers right? Isn't that supposed to be the hardest part? :spin:

Unless you're me or Boxkita, no. Pink, Gold, Black, Red are really the only options.

Well screw it. I guess I'll learn to pull the motor then.

Only think left is to decide what color to paint the valve covers right? Isn't that supposed to be the hardest part? :spin:

Really, who ever see's them. Mine look great, last time I saw them. You can see them in my click here link....That's the last time I saw them.

Let's not clutter this thread up with dumb ideas. You have enough stress coming your way.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators

In all seriousness I may actually paint them red. My TGV deletes are powdercoated red (bought them that way), nameless heatshield is red, car is red--would just tie in nicely. Honestly I don't care much tho :)

I'm hoping that things won't be too stressful. Trans was separated about 1.5yrs ago so hopefully shouldn't be too much of a PITA. Luckily a lot of parts are already on the shelf as well--new Koyo radiator, timing belt kit, OEM cast waterpump, motor mounts. Just need to pick up some VCGs and various hoses I think.

Pull it! I had never pulled an engine before when I started my rebuild. It wasn't the easiest thing I had ever done, but it was less arduous than expected. Most of the things you mentioned can be done in-car but with all those on the list I would think the time spent removing the engine would almost be offset by the time saved on said repairs/mods. After you paint those VCs careful putting the engine back in, I scraped some paint off mine. And get those company 23 tools back!

Archived