LegacyGT.com

How to properly adjust your side mirrors

I can't take credit for this information, as it's been repeated many times to me, from many different sources. Simply put, if you see the side of your car in the side mirrors (assuming you're dealing with a vehicle that has a rearview mirror)... then you probably have blind-spots on the side of your car... there's a better way to set up your side mirrors.

Rather than detail the process myself, this webpage provides an excellent pictorial for how to do this, and picture-examples of why to do it this way. Check it out:

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

It takes a little getting used to, but once you have it setup this way, you feel "blind" when the mirrors are set "narrow"...

The only surefire way is to look over your shoulder
Yes, at first, no doubt... but with the mirrors adjusted this way, you will quickly see that looking over the shoulder isn't really required, as (in my case at least) there are ZERO blind spots to deal with.

I'd rather have no blind spots, and look over the shoulder as a "backup" than have a blind spot and have to depend on a quick look as my only indication.

This setup is useful for me, particularly when you're in heavy traffic, since you can keep your eyes ahead, and not have to look over your shoulder, only to find that the person in front just jammed on their brakes for no reason.

I remember us talking about this quite some time ago and although skeptic, I tried it.

It took about 3-4 dayd to get used to it but now I cannot go back.

Imagine seeing a car one lane over come up on you on the freeway. You first see him in the center rear view mirror. As he gets closer you notice that as his fron bumper is about to leave your view in that mirror, it's also becoming visible in the side view mirror. Then as it's about halfway in your side mirror you start to pick it up in your peripheral vision out of the side window.

Bottom line is you never lost sight of it, Awesome... just takes a bit to get used to. If you are one that cannot change then this isn't for you. If you are already nervous of fast traffic then this isn't for you (you need to stick with what you know).

For the rest, it only helps.

There is one situation that it doesn't help and that's when you need to see far down the lane next to you maybe to keep an eye out for motorcycles splitting lanes or to know when to change lanes in stopped traffic. For this you need to see way back so not to pull out in front of a fast moving Semi.

A bit more than 3-4 days and you learn around this as well.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Thanks for the update, Drew888... I know if people try it and get used to it, it's a better setup.

For those that still doubt it, do a quick search in google for "adjust side mirrors" and you'll see most of the links indicating this is the better way to do it. Auto groups suggesting this setup include the National Motorists Association, AAA (Michigan, in this example), Cartalk, NYS DMV, as well as other state DMVs...

meier - yeah, not like that! :)... though different seating positions can affect what different people see in the mirrors, too...

EDIT: NMA bolded: You ARE a member of the NMA, AREN'T YOU? :)

http://www.motorists.org/

funny thing i've been doing this format for years since that is how my dad drove. never realized that as a kid but when i got older i asked my dad why he hardly looks over his shoulder, and he told me this same thing. just thought this was the norm.

side benefit is when an idiot is behind you with brights, the side mirrors dont blind you too boot.

but that leads me to my other issue, i wish my 2010 had a manual flip in addition to the automatic mode. i missed that from my 2004 4runner that had both.

The only surefire way is to look over your shoulder

+1. I have been doing that for over 10 years and it has saved me from many, many collisions that I am not sure that a mirror image would have done the same.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been using this since I learned to drive... as this is the actual correct way to adjust it... regarding to the people who think that they will have a 0 blind spot with shoulder check, you are wrong.. you have the C + D Pillars..

but if you adjust your mirrors correctly, you will have no blind spot..

the golden rule****** Look at your center rear view mirror, if it discontinues at the sides, that's where your side mirrors should start seeing... and not look at your own car for "who knows what" reason...

BUT!!! All in all, if you tried it and don't feel comfortable or, feel insecure as some people may describe it, you should stick to what works best for you; since you've been taught that way and you've gotten used to it

Once you reach a certain age you don't have to use your mirrors OR look over your shoulder. That's why Buicks and Mercurys exist...so the rest of us can recognize and watch out for the elderly and they don't have to pay any attention to the rest of the world.
It is still ugly.

Good post!

My sister used to borrow my 4x4 and would ALWAYS change my mirrors - mirrors that are only adjustable from the OUTSIDE of the truck. :spin:

It bugged the HELL out of me that I could not see what was in the next lane after she drove it. I felt like the side mirrors were showing me what my rearview does.

I am emailing her the link. Can't wait for her smartass response. Maybe I'll post it.:lol:

It took about 3-4 dayd to get used to it but now I cannot go back.

^

...with the mirrors adjusted this way, you will quickly see that looking over the shoulder isn't really required, as (in my case at least) there are ZERO blind spots to deal with..

This is not "the force" or "spider sense" but it does add the ability to watch the "flow" of traffic not only in front, but behind. Looking over the shoulder is the only thing that gives you ZERO chance not to hit something you missed (like a quick, little bike in the daytime).

I did this this weekend. I find it to be a huge improvement once you learn to trust your mirrors. I've never really trusted other than to track cars that are around me, but I've always looked over my shoulder. The rear view mirror is much more useful now because it doesn't just show the same thing the side mirrors did. Two thumbs up!

Archived