LegacyGT.com

problems at 5K miles...

Hi all,

I bought my '06 LGT back in late March, brand new. It had 60 or so miles on the odometer, build date of the car is Jan '06. Now that I'm nearing 5000 miles (currently around 4.5K and change) I just thought I'd post the problems that I've experienced so far.

1) The liner on the top of the sunshade began peeling from the adhesive. At one point, it got jammed in the sunroof and the glass wouldn't close.

2) One of my rear splash guards [bold]fell off[/bold] while I was driving down the highway. When it happened, I thought I had just driven over some debris on the road -- it wasn't until later I noticed that the splash guard fell off.

3) My front bumper cover has popped loose, leaving a gap with the other panels.

4) Paint discoloration problems -- I started a separate thread about this issue. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=680266

I took my car to Suburban Subaru in Troy, MI to have 1 - 3 looked at. They were very cool about the sunshade and the splash guard, replacing both under warranty. I'm still waiting for their underwriter to have a look at the bumper -- even though there is absolutely no damage, they service guys weren't sure they could warranty it. Apparently there is a clip missing, and they have to have their body shop take a look at it.

Photos of everything are attached below, so you can check it out for yourself.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Legacy in spite of these "growing pains", but it just seems like this is a lot of stuff to go wrong within the first few months of ownership. This is the first new vehicle I've ever owned, and the little problems are starting to get annoying.

060806_17391.jpg.9ac1a49339b93245da9c55ddf93e07f8.jpg

060806_17401.jpg.ca7d131c94e48ed5f7ee1dce9d52e05b.jpg

DSC02316.jpg.a77f056856c67361aaf800ff0ba231b0.jpg

DSC02324.jpg.0167f397b0c450fbfd3c2f7cd179f095.jpg

DSC02325.jpg.08467a6288fe2b97d7d12634cc46c20e.jpg

The missing clip/displaced bumper (this latter, improper assembly) seems to have affected at least a few members here. I believe all were covered under warranty (parts and adjustment).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

we are taking ours to the dealer on monday for the bumper clips replacement. The dealer said they have did 5 or 6 of them this year already. It must be a problem, if the little dealer here in toledo has did that many. He said they contated SOA and they do not know what they are talking about. I will let you know how my turns out on Monday.

Know this....Poppits SUCK!

Try this for the bumper cover...the result is nice tight seams...

Get a 12mm bolt & nut & washers....bumper issue is solved, just did it & it works great:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

we are taking ours to the dealer on monday for the bumper clips replacement. The dealer said they have did 5 or 6 of them this year already. It must be a problem, if the little dealer here in toledo has did that many. He said they contated SOA and they do not know what they are talking about. I will let you know how my turns out on Monday.

^ Holy cow! I had no idea that the fault was that extensive in terms of numbers affected! :eek: Thanks for the update/info!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Don't forget to look at your rears, my car is having that problem. Just this week. I wonder if the extreme heat made an already weak part of the car weaker, and it just couldn't hold it together anymore. I know it wasn't hit, as it sits in my driveway. Don't drive it but much due to the rattles haha.

Wow, that's amazing. I thought this would be an isolated problem. What is the name of the dealership in Toledo? I might have my dealer contact them if they give me any trouble.

Get a 12mm bolt & nut & washers....bumper issue is solved, just did it & it works great:)

That's not a bad idea, but I'm still going to let the dealer have a crack at it first. That way if anything else goes wrong later, there will at least be a paper trail. If the dealer doesn't work out though, I'll try it!

Drywall screws will work too. :icon_bigg

Don't feel bad about the issues as practically every car has some...the ones that don't just have unobservant owners. I have had to have the following issues attended to in the first couple of months: replace weatherstripping on the left rear door (malformed), replace left side B pillar trim (car wash blew it off, but it was probably damaged duing the weatherstripping replacement), replace right rear door window (dealer's PDR guy scratched it), replace radio volume knob (was scratched, most likely not SOA's fault), one rear license grommet stripped out (most likely by the dealer gorilla), replace left rear door interior panel (was malformed)...I think that's everything.

It is still ugly.

Don't forget to look at your rears, my car is having that problem. Just this week. I wonder if the extreme heat made an already weak part of the car weaker, and it just couldn't hold it together anymore. I know it wasn't hit, as it sits in my driveway. Don't drive it but much due to the rattles haha.

I have a difficult time looking at my rear without a mirror :lol:

Actually that part of the rear bumper is (supposed to be) held on with a short 6 mm x 1.00 bolt, not a clip. I went through the same crap with my dealer, ya ya, musta been hit, never saw one warp there, clips must be broken ya ya ya. I popped the access plugs off inside the trunk, and discovered that both retaining bolts were missing.

HTH

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I should update this -- the dealership ordered the molding, and it came in last week. I took my car in on Friday, and it was back the same day. They put the new molding on, and popped the bumper back in. Everything worked out.

Time to look for more stuff to complain about... ;)

Archived