LegacyGT.com

Problem with my car after washing it.

I'm experiencing a problem with my car after i washed it yesterday. While breaking i hear a very smooth "scraping" sound. It sounds like its coming from the left front, and sounds similar to a tire scraping the chasis ever so slightly, or maybe a breakpad rubbing against something.

During washing i used soap on the entire body, including all 4 rims and windows. I used a wash mit to clean the rims and i followed by hosing down each rim thoroughly. Also while washing the windsheilds lots of water dripped down to the wiper area.

Could my cleaning approach of caused this funny noise? What do you think is wrong?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm...same thing happens to mine after washing it because the brake disc get a thin layer of rust on them..but that only lasts for 2 seconds, once I brake all the rust gets scraped away...same thing happens when I park out in the rain.

If the sound is still there longer than that I would pull the wheel and take a look.

Water "IN" the intercooler? Please explain...

on the intercooler is more of a problem than in it --- if water gets in it - usually it's hot enough to turn to steam right away and just pass through the engine..

water ON the intercooler -- thats trouble..... you get the aluminum heating up and shrinking and expanding at the same time leading to major problems - least of which is the engien seizing and the intercooler MELTING!

But if it melts completely then it's been proven (where's that old thread?) that a regular, house-hold mop can soak up the liquid metal pooling at the bottom of the engine bay quickly and efficiently.

on the intercooler is more of a problem than in it --- if water gets in it - usually it's hot enough to turn to steam right away and just pass through the engine..

water ON the intercooler -- thats trouble..... you get the aluminum heating up and shrinking and expanding at the same time leading to major problems - least of which is the engien seizing and the intercooler MELTING!

So... if your engine is cool there is no problem with detailing etc. correct.

So... if your engine is cool there is no problem with detailing etc. correct.

as long as you're really really carefull and dry the intercooler immediately afterwords -- for whatever reason, the alloy used in the oxidizes really quickly - leading to corrosion.

you also need to be carefull because the hood scoop opening provides a path for water to get into the rest of the engine bay -- you dont want water on all those other components -- especially all of the wiring.

one of the members on here developed a hood scoop plug to avoid the possibility of water and/or soap of getting into the engine bay and onto the intercooler. Looks like it would work well, however i use the cheaper aproach of stuffing towels and plastic bags into the hole to block it.

Isn't this the same issue addressed in SOA Service Bulletin #8675309? Have we determined whether the VIN ends in an even or odd number?

Whatever you do, do not attempt to dry the intercooler yourself; if the dealer detects tampering, it could void the warranty. Not even the Magneson-Moss Act will save you then.

If the dealer feigns ignorance, print out a copy of this thread from legacygt.com and show it to the Service Manager.

I had the same problem with my brake rotors rusting. My first attempt at solving it involved painting the rotors with high temp paint, the the damn pads kept scraping it off. Not very pretty. My last solution involved putting grease on the disks. Problem solved. My disks haven't rusted after 5 whole months of sitting in the wrecking yard! I must say that I am a GENIUS.

Archived