LegacyGT.com

Pray for Hogmeat - he is doing a mod tomorrow...

OK - I've gotten sick of my LGT's "short" shifter. Ever since new, it's been hard to get into 2nd and especially 4th when really pushing it. I mean, it'll come out of 3rd, and hit the 4th gate and just stick - and I have to try again to get it to go. That = total loss of boost and fun.

In addition, my 3rd gear has a tendency to shake the shift lever...

So, overall, I can't take the notchiness (in every gear) of the factory STI short shifter anymore.

About a year ago, I purchased a "regular shifter" from a memeber, but then decided to see if it would work it's self out - but hasnt....

SO - I'm going from STI short throw -> regular shifter.

I don't think it looks that hard, but I can usually manage to break a trim piece or two. Following MUD's writeup, it shouldn't be hard.

One question for those who might know - the guy sent me the gold "linkage" bar with the shifter - do I need to replace that too, or just the "shifter" part? Are they the same? It was factory installed.

I've done a bit of research, and I think I have an answer, but wonder what others may say.

I'll let you know my impressions...

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Very simple install, you may want to first consult with the dealer about your shifting troubles. Your troubles seem to be more of adjustment issue. The only difference between the STI STS and the regular shifter is the pivot's position on the stick. Therefore changing the stick will not help your engagement problems.

Well, all done...I'm not sure if I like it all that much.

I mean, after using the "sti sts" and going to the OEM stocker - it's like rowing through goo, with rubber gates....vs the STI's notchiness and catching.

I wish there were a happy medium.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

Very simple install, you may want to first consult with the dealer about your shifting troubles. Your troubles seem to be more of adjustment issue. The only difference between the STI STS and the regular shifter is the pivot's position on the stick. Therefore changing the stick will not help your engagement problems.

After installing the stocker - it appears my 4th gear catching is gone.

yay.

Well, all done...I'm not sure if I like it all that much.

I mean, after using the "sti sts" and going to the OEM stocker - it's like rowing through goo, with rubber gates....vs the STI's notchiness and catching.

I wish there were a happy medium.

I've never tried the STi sts, but I don't think I would describe my cobb sts as "notchy." It's much "clearer" or "sharper" than stock, but I wouldn't say I have trouble getting the car into any gear, except reverse, and that's no different than it was with the stock shifter. If anyone near you has one, I recommend you try it and see what you think.

1 for snap ring pliers. knew ahead of time though. Didn't know the pliers were reversable though. Sure was a bitch getting the snap ring off with backwards pliers...

till i figured it out when i put it back on...

My newly installed Cobb is doing the same thing. 1,3,5 are easy to get into and have a crisp notchy-ness to them

2nd and 4th, however, are hard to get into and feel like I am shifting into rubber. I also notice that that shifter is very much towards the back of the opening - when in 1,3,5 it is almost in the middle, while in 2,4 its almost touching the back trim.

Is there a way I can adjust it "forward" somehow? I have a feeling I am running into the rubber boot cover, hence the rubberyness and difficulty getting into 2nd and 4th.

Archived