LegacyGT.com

Power Steering Fluid....

I probably wouldn't worry to much about it as long as the pump is quiet. the transmission fluid may have more conditioners that help keep things clean and the seals from leaking. If your worried about it just drain as much out as possible add trans fluid start your engine turn the steering wheel back and forth shut the engine off and repeat until the fluid is red in color. Power steering systems typically hold 3-4 quarts of fluid, shouldn't be too hard to flush out if needed to.

You say "it won't hurt" but surely there is a benefit to using the thinner, less viscous ATF, rather than PSF (and there must be a reason that's what I'm supposed to use.) I'm wondering now if putting the correct fluid in might lighten up the steering a bit. Not that there is anything noticeably wrong with it... but in colder weather the pump can sometimes sound a bit strained.

Curious about this too....I never considered a car actually wanting atf instead of ps fluid...most of the time the mfg. is putting 20 stickers on saying not to use atf. So i've been running psf for two years....if it makes a difference, then the next time mine decides to empty out of the Oring i'm too lazy to fight with I'll have to throw atf in it and see if there is anything noticeable.

ya, ive got two cars with chattery PS pumps and psf in them. i am replacing one pump (it knocks a ton, sounds like it will blow up at any given time, the pulley wobbles a bunch) and the other has a bad O ring that needs replaced.

Even the 4th gen uses tranny fluid (Dextron) for the P/S. It's best to drain the system and use what's recommended. It could cause long term damage to the system if not using the recommended fluid.
My wife's balls are delicious.

the best way to change the fliud,

disconnect the return hose from the pump,

attach a tube and run it to a catch basin.

then crank the pump by hand.

the fluid should pump out of the return line into the bucket.

keep adding new fluid as the level gets low,

and keep pumping until the new fluid is coming out the hoes.

the easy way, is to just disconnect the return line and start the car.

as it runs out of fluid, add more.

at some point the fluid will be new.

the pump is self bleeding if you turn the wheel from lock to lock.

don't let the pump run dry for too long.

John, you beat me to it. The first way, turning the pump by hand, is is the way I do all of mine when I want to replace the fluid.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Even the 4th gen uses tranny fluid (Dextron) for the P/S. It's best to drain the system and use what's recommended. It could cause long term damage to the system if not using the recommended fluid.

My question is, at this point, am I asking for trouble by changing the fluid in the system? I've been topping it off with Prestone Power Steering fluid for YEARS. I'm just worried that using the wrong fluid might have damaged the seals, and that changing the fluid might do something to cause things to start leaking.

Kind of like how you don't do a transmission flush on an old car because it could make things worse. Think it's a good idea to flush this and change the fluid, or since it is all working, should I just leave well enough alone?

Stang - If you want peace of mind, and you have some Dexron III, follow johnegg's process above to drain and refill the system. This will "push" the old out and "pull" the new in behind it without compromising your PS system. As I mentioned, I prefer to do it by hand, to better monitor the progress, but either way works equally well. One's just faster than the other once you start. ;)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived