LegacyGT.com

Power & Manual button on Autos?

What does the Power button do on Automatic Legacys? The car is a 1992 2.0, it also has a manual button near the centre console which lights up in the instrument cluster when switched on, but again what does this do?

The only reason I am asking is because we never got a owners manual with the car, I need to find one on the bay. Just curious to see what these buttons do.

In the American cars the Power button doesn't exist, but it does still have the power light in the dash that lights up when you stomp on the gas. Power mode raises the shift points of the car. I think it might slightly advance timing as well, but I'm not sure.

Manual mode is an early, primitive form of traction control. If you have manual mode engaged and throw the shifter into third the car will accelerate in second gear, totally skipping first. The car WILL NOT shift into first. In addition to skipping first, the car will also shift into third VERY early. Mine with the 2.2L shifts from second to third at about 15MPH regardless of throttle input. It also WILL NOT shift into fourth. This is done as an attempt to improve traction in rain or snow. If you leave manual mode engaged and throw the shifter into second, the car still WILL NOT use first gear. It also WILL NOT use third gear. It will just stay in second regardless of speed or throttle position.

Note that if engine speed reaches about 6,750 RPM the car WILL shift into the next gear regardless of what the gear lever is in as an attempt to prevent the engine from redlining.

I wish. I would cause some serious carnage in the future if that were the case. Then I'd go back in time and use the Legacy to run over George W. Bush's ancestors, then come back to present day to a version of America that still has money.

Then I'd go back in time to the year 1988 and show off my concept car. :lol:

Then I'd go to the year 1994, travel to Japan and tell Subaru to postpone the EJ25 until they can figure out how to make a version that doesn't eat head gaskets. That way the EJ22 would have still been in production until 2005 when they finally got the EJ25 right. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Hey there,

On my new '90 Legacy LS wagon there is a power button, but it doesn't seem to do anything when pressed. I understand some don't have the button and "power mode" is engaged just by accelerating, but how do I use the button??

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to perusing this forum further.

Archived