LegacyGT.com

Potential buyer claims to have reported my VIN for modifications

Hey guys... so I'm trying to sell my car as some of you may know, and this guy emails me (pretty typical), asking for the VIN and if I will smog it for him. I say that I will and give him the VIN. He then goes into a long thing about how the modifications are illegal in California and how I shouldn't be trying to get the car smogged with them... Once I realize that he's not at all interested in buying the car I just ask him why he contacted me, to which he says that he's reported my VIN to the authorities and now that I've admitted to illegally modifying the car, if I try to smog it will be a felony. His email address is:

james.davey48@yahoo.com

Has anyone selling a car encountered this fellow or know anything about government officials snooping around craigslist to find modified cars and then sneakily reporting them to whoever the authorities are? Or maybe he's just a nut job? Thanks!

-Weston

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answer to this is: **** California.

He's probably just some crazy hippie who thinks he's saving the world by his one man mission to eliminate modified cars.

I would recommend removing the modifications. Anything beyond that would be basically having written proof of you committing a crime, so I personally wouldn't take the chances. Hopefully some Cali people can tell you how realistic it is.

here's what I got after doing a google search:

Girls with Sites #20080226-58447: Lana Is Drinking A Water

perfect in everyway the **** face *** and shaved *****; flag this post as inappropriateby james.davey48@yahoo.com on Sun 02 March 5:49pm: Lana, ...

- vnc.voyeurweb.com/comments.html?c=58447&n=58474-58477 - 21k - CachedSimilar pages

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 1 already displayed.

If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

LMAO, guys, you all need to google his email. Just copy and paste. The link that comes up is definitely NOT WORK SAFE. Let's just say our "traitor" is dumb enough to use his real email for pron sites. Either way, my next step would be to check white pages and get his address, then send a nice letter to his wife lol.

what a dumbass! :lol: I saw that and I'm like, WTF?? and he's telling YOU that he's turning you in for modding your car?? Email him a pic of some lotion and a sock! :lol:
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

even if he reported u, cops most likely will dismiss this or just a little remark in their comps with ur vin/plate# but won't really care. unless cops came to ur house/work u don't have to worry. as even what u typed in the email, u can just tell the cops the guy made it up. i mean its pretty easy to fake email texts. unless he got photos of ur car with the illegal mods then he is just a nutcase that wants to get u sweating

i mean if they did, u know how much havoc can be caused by just random ppl reporting vin # of the ppl they hate and lie that there is illegal mods on the car? cops would be buried with emailed/reports of those.

Archived