LegacyGT.com

Potential Buyer

STiNGER

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I hope you'll go easy on me. I'm a current 350z owner, and soon to be a non-350z owner. I've won a complete buyback of my 2003 Nissan 350z Enthusiast. I'm very happy, VERY. The car had lots of problems that wouldn't ever get fixed by the dealer. I've had the car at the dealer for 47 total days in just over 2 years. sigh!

OK, that being said, I'm very interested in the 05-06 LGT's, used or new. I have a few questions, that have probably been covered. I was hoping for some honest answers... TIA

1) Will I be experiencing a lot of small "issues" with this car? AKA build quality I know you'll all be answering from the vantage of loving your cars, but I can live with some small issues, that the dealer can possibly rectify.

2) In comparison to my Z's power and suspension, would a LGT "feel" as powerful, and perhaps handle close to it? Would a swap of the springs for something a bit more stiff be in order, and would that get the lateral grip close? I can tell you my z felt a whole lot quicker than how it looks on paper.

3) I'm in love with my HIDs, and want to convert any LGT I get. Any negatives to this, other than being technically illegal? Any quick and easy kits?

4) Will I miss my 6th gear, AKA can this car cruise comfortably at 80mph without eating gas? I averaged 32mpg at 70mph in the Z. I know that sounds crazy, but the Nissan VQ engine is very well built, and typically exceeds its numbers on paper.

5) My budget is 30k and under. I'd like to spend under 25, and I'd like a limited. I was reading the posts about the spec B.s coming down in price. Is getting that bad boy down to 31ish in the Pittsburgh area a dream? Generally what should an 06 LGT limited msrp'ing at 30k go for? 28? 25? I won't be trading in anything, but I will be putting down 10k; couldn this help me negotiate?

sorry about the newb questions, but these answers are going to basically be the weight that tips the scales either way. I forgot to mention, the other car being considerred is a new and/or used Infiniti G35 6MT. Manual is a MUST. Thanks guys!

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

1) Will I be experiencing a lot of small "issues" with this car? AKA build quality I know you'll all be answering from the vantage of loving your cars, but I can live with some small issues, that the dealer can possibly rectify. ---NO

2) In comparison to my Z's power and suspension, would a LGT "feel" as powerful, and perhaps handle close to it? Would a swap of the springs for something a bit more stiff be in order, and would that get the lateral grip close? I can tell you my z felt a whole lot quicker than how it looks on paper. -- Your Z has better handling if you go with a non spec b version, but a set of springs and sway bars can quickly change that. they also make the spec b suspension on here for about $1800 complete before installation costs.

3) I'm in love with my HIDs, and want to convert any LGT I get. Any negatives to this, other than being technically illegal? Any quick and easy kits? there are a few on here..check the vendors forum for info on those, who likes what, etc

4) Will I miss my 6th gear, AKA can this car cruise comfortably at 80mph without eating gas? I averaged 32mpg at 70mph in the Z. I know that sounds crazy, but the Nissan VQ engine is very well built, and typically exceeds its numbers on paper. yes. I got almost 30 mpg going from knoxville to cleveland and back for a steelers game recently (tickets were a christmas present from my wife) and drove 80-85 most of the way.

5) My budget is 30k and under. I'd like to spend under 25, and I'd like a limited. I was reading the posts about the spec B.s coming down in price. Is getting that bad boy down to 31ish in the Pittsburgh area a dream? Generally what should an 06 LGT limited msrp'ing at 30k go for? 28? 25? I won't be trading in anything, but I will be putting down 10k; couldn this help me negotiate? I wouldnt count on getting a spec be under $30k. If i net mine out, it is still about $32k. You can definitely get an LGT for that though....our LGT demo (black) with a bunch of option is on sale on the forum for $26,700 ish.

sorry about the newb questions, but these answers are going to basically be the weight that tips the scales either way. I forgot to mention, the other car being considerred is a new and/or used Infiniti G35 6MT. Manual is a MUST. Thanks guys!

no problem about the questions.... i work for a dealer and also am on my 3rd personal subaru (SVX LSI, 2005 WRX, and now 2005 LGT limited 5 speed)

i grew up in the pittsburgh area...belle vernon to be more exact (about 30 miles south of pittsburgh).

Great to hear from you, and great to know you're from da burgh! Hey, if Grayson wouldn't mind parting with a spec b for 31, I'd drive down to get it!

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

1. Alot less than the Nissan....Subarus are very reliable!

2. Stock the LGT will be quicker in a strait line....braking & cornering are a different story.

3. Can convert for less than 400.00...no problems...many users have done this.

4. You will miss the 6th gear....on the hwy @ 70 you will see no more than 24-25mpg....remember this is a AWD car.

5. Spec B's can be had for around 32k!

My suggestion....buy a leftover 05 limited MT... you should be able to walk away for under 26k:) Now with the $$ you have saved spend 2700 on a few upgrades...you will be amazed @ the performance.

Here is just a suggestion: These prices are for some of the more expensive items avail....

1. Purchase UP & DP 700.00

2. F&R sway bars 350.00

3. Springs 300.00

4. New brake pads & SS brake lines 300.00

**Wait 1000 miles for break in**

It is harder than you think to wait:eek:

5. Purchase AP & flash to Stage II 650.00

6. Protune w/ dyno time 400.00

The only other item that will make a HUGE difference is getting rid of the stock rubber.

You will have a car that in EVERY aspect **Excluding Braking** is better than the Z!

Oh & buy the way you can carry 3 other passengers plus luggage:)

Good Luck

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

awesome info guys! Thanks for the upgrade list wukindada. I plan on doing a lot of that. Keep it coming, the scales are a tippin!

I forgot to mention I'm still waiting to complete the buy back. It should be within a couple months, but no definitive time. I doubt there will be any 05s left.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

My suggestion....buy a leftover 05 limited MT... you should be able to walk away for under 26k:) Now with the $$ you have saved spend 2700 on a few upgrades...you will be amazed @ the performance.

How about a new demo (2006) for $26,700?? I think MSRP is just under $31k

There you go... an 06 demo for under 27k....as long as it has very low miles 2-3k I would not hesitate in buying the car.

I am in the minority though, many on the site would not purchase a demo...I did:)

I am sure you could get the car for 26K....that's a deal:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I wouldn't go with an 05 or a demo.

Critical safety imrpovements have been made and many bugs have been fixed in the 06 and a demo is just asking for trouble.

why asking for trouble in a demo? they have been dealer serviced, not wrecked, and still have factory warranty plus you get huge savings. some people dont like others putting miles on their car, but if it saves me a bunch of money on something like for miles i am going to put on it anyway...im game.

I got a brand new 06 LGT with 15 miles on it for 26500 with all the options except the spoiler, so you can definetely get a 06 way below 30K and spend the extra 3K on all the upgrades listed above and you will have a car that can smoke just about anything on the road.

You don't know how it was broken in and especially if it's a manual, fuggetaboutit.

mine was a 5 speed demo -- no issues in 7000 + miles. :) 2nd demo in a row -- first one was a 5 speed 2005 WRX. nothing in 11000 miles before it was sold and the people driving it now love it and have only been in for an oil change.

im not scared of a demo. warranty coverage still applies.

Thanks for all the feedback. I wish the legacy could smoke the Z. I'll just have to make it that fast, although it's close. In the weather around these parts, the Z can't compete with a legacy 8 months of the year.

As for the buy back, I don't really want 3 car payments right now. I still have to pay for the Z until i sign the paperwork and they take the car. The spec. B price is tempting, but unfortunately I'll have to wait.

I will not buy a demo. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I'm the kind of person that will become so anal about every engine problem on a demo, thinking it was broken in wrong. It would fester in my head, when in reality there most likely wouldn't be a problem. That being said, a deal you can't pass up might be presented to me, so never say never I guess.

Does anyone think there will be a higher resale value (considerably) for a spec b. say in 5 years? Is this thing gonna be anything close to a collectors item? I kind of doubt it but I don't know that much about limited runs. I'd also be hesitant to mod it if it did become a collectors item.

Again, thanks for the input. Any trouble spots I should look out for in a used/demo?

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Remember that you wouldnt have a payment on the Subaru for 45-60 days depending on the lender.

Out of the legacy gt models, the spec b will probably retain the highest % of it original value.

as for looking at a demo -- check the tire edges..you can see if it has been driven really hard or not by how the tires are worn on the edges. look at the interior closely for tears or stains from something spilling. that is about it on the things to look at on a demo...look for dings and scrapes under the front bumper, under the side under the door and rear tailpipes.

if you look at used, be sure to do a car fax and you can also have a dealership pull the warranty history with the VIN so you can see what types of things it was in for under warranty --

Again,thanks for the great info. That's a great starting point for accessing a demo. I never thought to look at the front end and tailpipes. Will a dealer pull a warranty history on a vin, even though I don't own the vehicle nor was it purchased at that dealer?

Also, concerning the Spec. B, you have me interested. What's the going interest rate for 60 mos at a decent to great credit score? I generally qualify for the best rates.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Will a dealer pull a warranty history on a vin, even though I don't own the vehicle nor was it purchased at that dealer? --probably not, but if you find one you are interested in, just send me the VIN. I will look it up (although I'd rather be the one selling it to you too :) )

Also, concerning the Spec. B, you have me interested. What's the going interest rate for 60 mos at a decent to great credit score? I generally qualify for the best rates -- low 5% range dependig on actual credit score. most programs are almost entirely dependant on credit score so actual rate will depend on that.... 700 and above should be fine.

just looked up the spec B. there is about $1260 in holdback and everything (about $140 more than i thought) I can do $31,845 before getting into some trouble from the powers that be. invoice is $32,745. it has the armrest extension, security upgrade, auto dimming mirror and spoiler. MSRP is $35,476

Very interesting offer about the spec b. What's the tax rate in TN? I think I'd actually give you my business, even on a LGT perhaps too. I have my own financing at 4.5% for 60 if that would be fine. I'll see what my options are around here, and I'll definitely keep you in mind; if you're really serious. If I chose to have it shipped, what are we talkin about roughly?

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

HAHAHA. lemon law buyback. been there done that. VW Jetta 1.8T... worse mistake i have ever made. Subaru Legacy GT Limited - Best car purchase ever.... i have never had a car that after 3 months owning i still was completely in love with and couldnt imagine driving anything else in reason (under 50K)

Archived