LegacyGT.com

pot holes=new wheels

rainman

So after a couple lovely pot holes, decided I need a new set of wheels vs replacing 2.

currently have 18x7.5 +42most xxr 006 wheels, but was looking to get the drag dr-31 in either 18x8 +35 or 18x9 +38. Car is lowered about an inch and was planning on rolling the fenders. Suggestions on tires and anything else appreciated!

Psh! 17's r weak. Running 225/40 now. Pot holes just sneak up at night...so maybe better headlights too!

Riiight. And you're replacing your current 18s because...? :rolleyes:

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I think he's referring to what some call "weak sauce"; meaning "lame", or "uncool"

... Man, that Malibu rum is weak sauce compared to Sailor Jerry.

Common expression among certain generations, not in direct reference to structural integrity, yield strength, or structural deformations.

Psh! 17's r weak. Running 225/40 now. Pot holes just sneak up at night...so maybe better headlights too!
:rolleyes: I had a pothole bend one of my spec.B 18s running a 225/40R18 (which is not much sidewall). I promptly went to a Forged 17 for slightly taller sidewalls to give me some peace of mind living in an area that is plagued by potholes in the spring.

In a function over form mentality, the 17 wins hands down for me! Love the handling of the 225/45R17 wrapped around my CE28Ns, and I'm weighing in at roughly 37lbs a corner vs. the cast 18 that was seriously heavier.

Nasioc you mean? Go with a 17. If you have shitty roads youll have less tire wear, better handling and hugely decrease the risk of bending wheels.

Too much tire for my liking running 17's...

so does anyone have any useful advise/info or has this turned into NASIAC?

You're insistent on a set of 18 inch wheels with low profile tires driving around on less-than-stellar roads to replace your current set of 18 inch wheels which (I'm assuming) are damaged from said roads.

It's been suggested that you go down to 17 inch wheels with taller tires to help prevent wheel damage but you brush it off.

But if money is of no concern and you don't mind getting new sets of wheels every so often, go with the 18x9s with 215, 225, or maybe even 235/40 if it's not too much tire for you. You may need to roll your fenders. This guy has the Drags in 18x9 specs (see post #3).

That, or move to Southern California. Significantly less potholes.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

"as the limit of the diameter of your wheel increases, the structural integrity of the wheel decrease" ?

Actually if you think about it this is likely to be true... granted the thickness of the walls doesnt increase along with the diameter. Same amount of pressure acting on a larger surface (acually more pressure because less energy is absorbed by the tire, which is smaller).

Too much tire for my liking running 17's...

so does anyone have any useful advise/info or has this turned into NASIAC?

Several people gave you useful advice, which you're rejecting based on your preference in style. If you want someone to say going with a wider cheap knock off wheel to stretch your tires is going to help you keep from damaging wheels with potholes - well maybe you should be on NASIOC, or even better, some other stance addict type site. The whole point of a taller sidewall is for the protection from incidents like you experienced.

Otherwise, just go with your warped sense of reality, go wider, stretch out them sidewalls more, and see if some brighter headlights will keep you from hitting potholes. :spin:

Sounds like your wanting justification not useful advice... :rolleyes:

Actually if you think about it this is likely to be true... granted the thickness of the walls doesnt increase along with the diameter. Same amount of pressure acting on a larger surface (acually more pressure because less energy is absorbed by the tire, which is smaller).

but that's still the tire tho

not the wheels

but that's still the tire tho

not the wheels

This is speculation but I would think that If you take two surfaces, and apply an identical force to each the larger surface will fail first. Any engineers/physicists?!

Take two pieces of 8.5 x 11 paper, roll one end to end lengthwise, one widthwise. Tape into cylinders. Exert similar force on each, use known force if necessary, pennies for example. Make another smaller paper roll. Try again.

A piece of paper rolled lengthwise (about 10 inches circumference) will deform under the force of gravity alone.

Several people gave you useful advice, which you're rejecting based on your preference in style. If you want someone to say going with a wider cheap knock off wheel to stretch your tires is going to help you keep from damaging wheels with potholes - well maybe you should be on NASIOC, or even better, some other stance addict type site. The whole point of a taller sidewall is for the protection from incidents like you experienced.

Otherwise, just go with your warped sense of reality, go wider, stretch out them sidewalls more, and see if some brighter headlights will keep you from hitting potholes. :spin:

Sounds like your wanting justification not useful advice... :rolleyes:

Not a fan of a lot of stretch or poke, y i asked if they would fit...good try though

hate headlights above 5-6K. So good try again

Not a fan of a lot of stretch or poke, y i asked if they would fit...good try though

hate headlights above 5-6K. So good try again

Higher color temperature DOES NOT EQUAL brighter, it Equals Whiter/Bluer.

Sooooo your question is... what sort of wheels can you get that are 18 inches and/or a set of tires to go with them that will protect the rim?

Get stronger rims. Get ready to pay out of the butt for them. Get tires that have a rim protector too if possible. The tiny extra bit of rubber would help.

Most importantly, watch where you're driving. I've driven/drive on these in shitty ghetto Brooklyn roads and I have yet to pop a tire, cause a bubble or dent/crack a rim.

17x7 stock with stock Bridgestone RE92 215/45

17x7 stock with Yokohama W4S 225/45

17x7 stock with Dunlop Wintersport M3 215/45

18x7.5 Volk CE28N with General Exclaim UHP 225/40

Archived