LegacyGT.com

Post Ratings

MSB

I don't know if this is an option for this type of forum, and that in the past that it has ended up being a popularity contest on other forums, but.... With there being an influx of new users to the forum and the associated repition of questions could it be possible to score the best posts/threads that answer questions re HID, suspension, stereo etc, so that when a new member needs to find something, when they do a search these rated posts are highlighted. hopefully this should save people trawling through large threads, save the mods having to tidy things up to much and let the knowledge that is already on this forum more accessible to new members.

[quote name='Helfrick']Wouldn't that automatically downgrade any threads DriftMonkey has posted in?[/quote] No, he'd be quoted in the HID threads and how to quote and use smileys :D :D It should help differentiate the good posts from the "I agree type posts", and then let noobs get a better understanding of the site.

That sounds like an interesting idea. I'd like to see it in action. I'm a big fan of collecting the common questions/discussions into sticky threads ala Nasioc, but I can see how rating may help. Now if we could just get rid of all the jerks who post one word replys. :)

Not get rid of the one word replies, but get everyone to highlight the great posts, rather than have the mods do it, would maybe help get everyone up to speed and let everyone get involved in the discussions, rather than end up having a two tier system of those who know and those who don't know yet.

[quote name='Helfrick']Wouldn't that automatically downgrade any threads DriftMonkey has posted in?[/quote] ZING! Too funny :lol: On topic, I don't have an opinion either way. I never really look at the "ratings" in the other forums that I visit. If there is enough support then I say go for it. Put me down for a definite maybe. ;)

[quote name='MSB']Not get rid of the one word replies, but get everyone to highlight the great posts, rather than have the mods do it, would maybe help get everyone up to speed and let everyone get involved in the discussions, rather than end up having a two tier system of those who know and those who don't know yet.[/quote] I'm just yankin yer chain.

[quote name='Helfrick']Wouldn't that automatically downgrade any threads DriftMonkey has posted in?[/quote] [quote name='Helfirck']Now if we could just get rid of all the jerks who post one word replys.[/quote] :x Bah, another jealous n00b. At least MSB knows what's up! :wink: I think it's a good idea, but Tide has already stated that he doesn't want/have time to work on the site anymore. It'll be back to sifting the sand for gold for you!

I have an excellent idea! We can remove the post count under everyone's name (leads to whoring) and rate the member's based on thier contributions to threads and thier overall "contributions" to the community. Therefore people can trust content from people with higher ratings and people with lower ratings will have to prove thier worth a little more. Proving your worth and the weight of your contribution is not done by posting more than the other guy.. Prime example is Paul Hansen. It should be based on your attitude and how helpfull you are. Also can be based on the breadth of your knowledge.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I have an excellent idea! We can remove the post count under everyone's name (leads to whoring) and rate the member's based on thier contributions to threads and thier overall "contributions" to the community. Therefore people can trust content from people with higher ratings and people with lower ratings will have to prove thier worth a little more. Proving your worth and the weight of your contribution is not done by posting more than the other guy.. Prime example is Paul Hansen. It should be based on your attitude and how helpfull you are. Also can be based on the breadth of your knowledge.[/quote] Here here. Now I'm going to have to figure out who this Paul Hansen character is.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I have an excellent idea! We can remove the post count under everyone's name (leads to whoring) and rate the member's based on thier contributions to threads and thier overall "contributions" to the community.[/quote] We've been over this countless times, it ain't gonna happen. If want to remove the post count because of me (again) you must just feel the full wrath afterwards...:lol: Seriously, we voted on this a while ago, people appearently like the way things are going as is.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Don't be full of yourself, this board doesn't revolve around you. People said that they want some sort of system for tracking member contributions, this would be a way that would do that and not promote post whoring..[/quote] Don't be full of YOUR self. You obviously state that this will "fight" post whoring and consider me a "post whore." You do the math. If you really want to see what the people want, post a poll. It has always settled things in the past. Besides, Tide is happy with the way things are as of yet, and I stated earlier, he doesn't really have time/want to screw with things in a major way any time soon. He already said there will be a "karma mod" coming within the next time of forum upgrades, so just wait 'till then. Geez. :lol:

First of all Monkey, I never once said the word "fight" in any of my posts. Second. how am I full of myself? This last post, much like 3/4 of your posts make absolutely no sense at all. If you hove nothing usefull to add to this thread, then see yourself out of it. We don't need you commenting on every single post and every single thread that is made. The only thing that you said right was that I think you are a PW. Enough said. But again, this thread isn't about you so see yourself clear of it. I want to hear and speak with people who have something worthwhile to add.. One more thing DM, don't tell me what "Tide" said. I read his posts just like I read the rest of the posts around here.

[quote name='Tide']I'd would be rather easy to add a 'maximum post' mod limiting the number of replies in a 24 hour period.[/quote] I don't care if people post Tide, I just want to make sure that weight isn't put on someone's post count. The most valuable members could have just joined yesterday. That's my biggest beef with the post count.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']First of all Monkey, I never once said the word "fight" in any of my posts. Second. how am I full of myself? This last post, much like 3/4 of your posts make absolutely no sense at all. If you hove nothing usefull to add to this thread, then see yourself out of it. We don't need you commenting on every single post and every single thread that is made. The only thing that you said right was that I think you are a PW. Enough said. But again, this thread isn't about you so see yourself clear of it. I want to hear and speak with people who have something worthwhile to add.. One more thing DM, don't tell me what "Tide" said. I read his posts just like I read the rest of the posts around here.[/quote] "Fight,""not promote" - same thing. :P Second, things would make sense if you took the time and READ some of my posts....you haven't even been here for the last few days and come back screaming PW (just like in days of the past)! Why should I not post in the threads or even this one? I have an opinion, as you do, and will damn sure state it in my own defense. This thread involves me as well as any member here as, we are all equal. Just because you think some of my notions are "worthless", doesn't mean everyone else should agree with you, who knows, maybe some people actually READ what I posts and take them for what they are instead of crying PW all the time. Thinking that no one else cares about what I have to say just because you do is the DEFINITION of being "full of one's self" :lol: I'm glad you say you read the post around here, but it's appearent that you don't or else I wouldn't have had to bring it up. :P Geez, after all the smiley usage, I'm still misunderstood. All my comments are to to be read with much light-heartedness, and obviously you take them as "DM just trying to start up something again. Lighten up, what happened to the old Dr. Z? I miss him. :(

[quote name='Tide']Let's all just relax a bit. DM does post ALOT but the majority are actually useful posts. The problem is there are alot of un-useful posts as well. I think we'd be happy if he just trimmed the fat a little.[/quote] Thanks T-man....at least someone acknowleges that I DO give input, and that my "monkeying around" is usually to give threads more of a friendly feel, and to make users laugh a little. Face it, it wouldn't be the same w/o me. :D All this serious talk is boring at times, and I know other members realize this as well. I want this place to be more than just a place one goes to for knowlegde/information, I want it to be a place where one can go and "hang out" and feel "at home," joking with other members. I admit I can take it too far at times, but what can I say? :lol:

Archived