LegacyGT.com

Possible to read ROM from Cobb chipped ECU?

Aex1

Another noob question: is it possible to read (download) ROM from Cobb chipped ECU? (Stage 2, in my case.)

I tryed to read ROM by EcuFlash with the latest definitions, with and without green connectors, but still no luck. I guess is due to the fact that ECU is already protected (locked) someway by Cobb.

Any suggestions, please?

Well, actually, my "last" map is not a Cobb Stage 2 map, this one was reflashed by TA protuned map. And the last one IS of the hard access: I can't open it at Access Tuner Race (OTS Cobb's maps yes, I can), nor read its ROM.

I think the only way to prove it is unmarry completely Accessport from my car and then try again, right?

Yes, horse of a different color. I thought you meant the OTS Cobb map.

Tuning Alliance now has the possibility (right?) to tune there own maps on basis of the Cobb OTS maps. It uses the same file format. But obviuosly this map has some kind of locking, because I can't access it! (Well, I am quite satisfyed with the TA map, it's only case of learning.)

From what I understand, Dom doesn't do e-tunes anymore. Running a basemap and r/t map with extreme differences in timing/fuel (which would be the case in his example) is IMHO not a wise approach. I think if you are happy with your TA map, stick with it and (if you haven't already) send them logs to refine your tune. You could post the logs here and get feedback, but without the map, problem areas could not be pinpointed.

This may or may not apply, but I have read the ROM from a TDC Stg2+ APv1 map(.ptb/.prt). The only problem is that when you read the ROM; you only get the BASE map portion of the image and not the RealTime data. This can be very misleading since many values in the Basemap are over-ridden by RealTime values that don't transfer with the ROM read.

I know you can pull the ROM from a Cobb APv1 map, but don't know about APv2 maps.

Let's kick this pig!

From what I understand, Dom doesn't do e-tunes anymore. Running a basemap and r/t map with extreme differences in timing/fuel (which would be the case in his example) is IMHO not a wise approach. I think if you are happy with your TA map, stick with it and (if you haven't already) send them logs to refine your tune. You could post the logs here and get feedback, but without the map, problem areas could not be pinpointed.

Thank you, dudeondacouch. I got a kind of KKL-USB cable only recently and didn't have the possibility to drive WOT. But this cable works perfectly with RomRaider and EcuExplorer, except for EcuFlash! So I was just curious why.

I want to make another attempt doing everything step by step as it was wrote here:

http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/RomRaiderFAQ

I don't see why viewing a map you have already paid for would be "frowned upon"

becasue 98% of the maps that get pulled end up on the internet because the person that pulled the map had no idea what they were looking at. Once it's posted online, it's free game.

So if you can stop it from being read in the first place....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The latest update to Cobb's APV2 locks out ecuflash even with the OTS maps.

In any case, it is not necessary. Just ask your tuner for RACE compatible maps.

Also, you should be aware that romraider is no longer compatible with Cobb roms (notice that I said rom and not map). Cobb roms are slightly different than stock roms because they had to make room for the realtime tuning capability. In the past, merchgod made it so that you can see all the boost tables so people with APV1 could use romraider to tune their cars. However, that is no longer the case.

The latest update to Cobb's APV2 locks out ecuflash even with the OTS maps.

In any case, it is not necessary. Just ask your tuner for RACE compatible maps.

Also, you should be aware that romraider is no longer compatible with Cobb roms (notice that I said rom and not map). Cobb roms are slightly different than stock roms because they had to make room for the realtime tuning capability. In the past, merchgod made it so that you can see all the boost tables so people with APV1 could use romraider to tune their cars. However, that is no longer the case.

Thank you, mickeyd2005. Professional answer, as always. Yes, I finally got the idea that the last AP v2 firmware locked something in my ECU.:rolleyes:(I flased with it.) But no problem with TA, Mike already sent me a slightly refined map.

I guess my behaviour is due to the itch of investigating everything in a new car.:p Later the things will calm down, but I'm afraid, only a little.:lol:

Archived