LegacyGT.com

Popping noise while cornering

I have a new 07 spec b and I took it on a nice windy mountain road the other nite to see what she could do and WTF! When I would make a sharp right turn I would hear a weird pop noise or a clunk. It would only happen once during the corner and it was only on right turns usually when followed by a left turn. Anyone have this. I would love to not have to deal with the dealership. It sounds like it's coming from the right front area or even near the center of the car near the trans.

CV boot:confused:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

yeah either of those would make more sense.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I get a clunking noise while turning (let's say 90 deg. turn) and going over small bumps or road imperfections while in turn (i.e., the car goes over the bumps while engaged in the turn)... It's not the H-brace clunk, but something felt through the steering wheel and heard as if coming from both suspension conrners...

Any thoughts? Could something be lose? CV boots? Sways? Everything is stock. thanks

I get a clunking noise while turning (let's say 90 deg. turn) and going over small bumps or road imperfections while in turn (i.e., the car goes over the bumps while engaged in the turn)... It's not the H-brace clunk, but something felt through the steering wheel and heard as if coming from both suspension conrners...

Any thoughts? Could something be lose? CV boots? Sways? Everything is stock. thanks

http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~dwhite/pages/subnoises.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Saw this when somebody posted the link in regards to piston slap. I thought it was interesting, despite talking about 95-2000 legacies, it sounds exactly like what I too experience.

Whiteline makes bits to stop this problem.

what do you mean by this?

It's not the glovebox and it occurs while going around 40mph. I guess I should just take it in the the dealership but I really don't want to. How could I fix the top hat if that's what it is?

If you feel it in the steering wheel I would say that it has to do with steering linkage. My 03 Dakota had the periodic klunk when turning. Had a friend (ex Lead mech. at a Dodge dealership) look at it and he found that it was the rack doing its death rattle. Said that sometimes they last the life of the car, sometimes 30k and its done.

If it was suspension then it would do it all the time and be louder the greater the sus movement.

But it could also be something as simple as the glove box like Opie said. It could even be something as simple as the hood prop rod bouncing around. Anything possible.

Sway bar is moving side to side.

ding ding!

I just fixed the same issue, with the same symptoms.

Pull the wheel off and check the nuts on the sway bar end link.

I bet one side is loose.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

ding ding!

I just fixed the same issue, with the same symptoms.

Pull the wheel off and check the nuts on the sway bar end link.

I bet one side is loose.

What are the torque specs for the stock sways? Cna these bolts be tightned without removing the wheel (ie, by turning to one side)?

thanks

What are the torque specs for the stock sways? Cna these bolts be tightned without removing the wheel (ie, by turning to one side)?

thanks

IIRC you want the wheels straight so that there is no pitch on the control arms.

pull the wheel off and hand tighten it, not gorilla :lol:

Also, check your rubber grommets and make sure they are not mush.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

• 11 months later...

Okay, I've noticed this same symptom recently after completing my suspension mods. (Reference this post, about halfway thru) On the last round of installs (the cusco lower arm bars) I noticed that the swaybar was kinda shifted to one side, or at least, the passenger side endlink was at a more extreme angle than the driver side. I reset the bar and torqued everything down per the vaca pix.

The sound occurs during "aggressive" cornering, which is sharp turns at speeds >30mph. It seems to occur more consistently on roads where there is a quick switchback leading to a corner. The sound is something like taking a ratchet and giving the firewall a solid tap.

I would like to upgrade to whiteline sways (or another mild sway combo) possibly with Kartboy endlinks, at Racecomp's suggestion, and I'm wondering if I will need to investigate "lateral locks" to help solve this problem. After the first time it happened it seems to happen more frequently, or I'm more keenly aware of it. Does this sound like the same problem Robinlsb and BDII are describing?

I'm also going to be installing the whiteline steering rack bushings as soon as I purchase the rest of the transmission/engine/pitch stopper/shifter bushings. The steering rack was my first thought, but this thread (and the previously observed swaybar shift) seems to indicate otherwise.

Okay, I've noticed this same symptom recently after completing my suspension mods.

Funny seeing you here, I've also just started noticing a loud thunk/clunk/pop that I believe is coming from the rear on a sharp corner that involves any up or down pitch to it. Guess the endlinks are my first stop.

Not that it's getting worse, but I'm noticing it more often. Taking a 90 degree left from a stop I had the pop and pop-back, and the same 30mph sharp left yielded the usual pop. It feels like there is some feedback in the steering, but I may be imagining that.

Endlinks and walking front swaybar are definitely my primary suspects...

Archived