LegacyGT.com

Poor MPG - Where to start?

2004 JDM BP 5EAT 100,000km

Eco mode only (no hard accelerating) came back with 17.64mpg (filled the tank, drove til empty, then refilled)

Sport mode without manual changing and I got 16.23mpg using the same method

Where do I start with trying to improve MPG? Just got 4 new tires and alignment done, as well as changing the belts and tensioners, and oil and filter.

JP

sell your car and buy a honda

/end thread

x2 lol

Make sure you are doing what you can to keep your MPG "OK"

Tire pressure makes a HUGE difference, make sure you aren't low at all. Think of the energy of walking across pavement as a stiff sidewall VS walking through mud as having under inflated sidewalls, it makes a huge difference on how much energy is needed to move.

I barely ever get more than 18.5 during winter and 20 during summer with my 08 stock gt...

1 way to trick ppl, reset your trip clock, take the car on highway, and do 2.5k rpm cruising for 5-10miles or so. You will get 33mpg, take a picture and post it here :lol:

in town i average 22-23mpg. which is 95% of my driving. the bit of highway that i do, i average about 30-37mpg depending on how fast im going.

I'd have to agree with the tire inflation and air filter. also don't be carrying around a bunch of stuff in the car if you don't need to. a buddy of mine always carried around a 50lb tool box in his trunk that he never used. he killed his gas mileage when he couldve just taken it out.

downpipe and tune....

I went from 20mpg mixed to 23-24mpg mixed after switching to a downpipe and stage 2 reflash.

honestly though do a stage 1 tune. Target AFR for factory map is 9.5 AFR which is pig rich.

• 3 weeks later...
Tire pressure is a big one..I keep mine about 40psi..and almost always average 24mpg..when I drop to like 21mpg I check and usually my one tire is a pretty low..stupid leak :(..pump it back to 40psi and my mileage goes right back up..best I've ever gotten was 28mpg on a road trip with a buddy of mine

Wow, and I thought my mileage wasn't so great. I average about 19-20 in town driving, and about 26-27 on the highway. And I'm not always easy on the throttle... I don't really speed, but I like to get up to speed quickly. :) I do have a tune, cold air intake, downpipe, and full exhaust.

The thing is, I should be getting even better mileage than I am. I am constantly running really rich. I have an AFR gauge and just idling while parked I am sometimes down to 12.9. Cruising, no load, I'll be mid to low 13's. I should be at 14.7. So if I ever get a chance to get a new tune (the tune was installed by the previous owner) I will try to remedy that situation.

Oh, and I really want a 6-speed from the Spec. B! That would help out a lot too.

I don't really speed, but I like to get up to speed quickly. :)

This. Cruising speed seems to matter tremendously especially with the 5MT. If I'm behaving myself at the speed limit, gas mileage is near 25mpg. If I'm not... well... it goes down quick. :)

Archived