LegacyGT.com

I pooched my boost gauge install. help!

jholder

Ok, so i'm confused. I was out this afternoon, and stopped by the local performance shop. I thought, what the hell I'll buy a boost gauge while I'm here. Ended up picking up and Autometer. Fast forward.

So I read through several of the posts here, and I think I've got a pretty good idea of what to do. I locate the bypass valve, snip the line and insert my T connector. I run the vaccuum line into the interior by following the wheel well to the gromet that the hood release goes to. Tighten everything up, and I think I'm good to go.

So I start the car, not really 100% sure what to expect, the needle drops down to -20 (vacuum, and what ever the hell the measurement is for vaccuum). A little odd I think, but that is probably what it's supposed to do. I wait for a sec, then start to give it some gas, and the needle creeps up just a tad. I rev it up to ~4500 rpm, which should be well into boost territory....and nothing. It's still showing vaccuum...

Where did I go wrong, several posts suggested that this was the most common mounting location. Did I tap the wrong line?

If you were giving it gas while in neutral, that's your problem. You won't make boost unless you're in gear.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

It worked!

It looked like it only hit about 10psi ~5000, but of course then I had to look up real quick (in first).

Ok, two questions.

1) Does max boost change depending on gear?

2) Where can I get a longer length of that vacuum line? I dont see how people make it to the cubby with what the manufacturer provided.

Thanks alot guys. lgt.com ftw.

oh, on a side note. If the car is shifted into gear, and the clutch pedal is down, will it make boost?

What is being read to keep the turbo from spooling up? mph? some shifter based switch?

Thanks again.

--james

Max boost does vary by gear. You usually won't reach it in 1st or 2nd. Stock boost peak is supposed to be 13.4psi.

phoenix96

oh, on a side note. If the car is shifted into gear, and the clutch pedal is down, will it make boost?

What is being read to keep the turbo from spooling up? mph? some shifter based switch?

Thanks again.

--james

If the car is shifted into gear but you've got the clutch pedal in, it's the same as being in neutral.

There was a discussion about this a few days ago: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36467&highlight=boost+neutral

phoenix96

Brother mccorry gives the easy answers in post # 5 in the following thread, but if you're interested in knowing more, come along for the ride with me, through post # 4. ;)

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36572&highlight=boost

----

Yes, your boost level will vary by gear - and remember, even then, it's a boost "target," you may reach the target, or fall short, depending on many different factors, both ambient and vehicle-related.

Depending on the accessories you may be running and ambient conditions (as well as road-conditions, if you're, say, using engine-braking), your vac. will vary around the -20 PSI mark.

5EATs can build boost "while stationary." :)

Brother Keefe ("Xenonk") has described in past threads the technique of "neutral revving" to build a very limited amount of boost in 5MTs.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

In first through third, at about 62% throttle, I'm seeing the needle _jump_ to 10 psi and stay there.

It's funny, if the max boost (13.4psi) kicks in 4th, you've got to be doing well over 70 at that point. :D thats hauling ass.

I really can't wait for October, and brisk weather.

heh

In first through third, at about 62% throttle, I'm seeing the needle _jump_ to 10 psi and stay there.

It's funny, if the max boost (13.4psi) kicks in 4th, you've got to be doing well over 70 at that point. :D thats hauling ass.

I really can't wait for October, and brisk weather.

heh

Oh in the cold you will feel a differance belive me. Also if you are in higher altitudes you should have an advantage over NA cars.

Archived