LegacyGT.com

Politics on replacement keys

The idiot Democrats actually did something right, well sort of, for once in California. Most of the laws they write up are just stupid feel good laws that don't do anything. Effective Jan 1, 2008, manufacturers must provide a way for registered car owners to obtain a replacement key 24/7/365. Companies like BMW and Merc have till 2013 to comply, but in the mean time must supply keys within 24 hours of request.

So this raises an interesting problem. How is Subaru going to supply keys when all of them are coded and programmed into the car?:icon_conf

The reason why I said sort of, is because there's the possibility that manufacturers will just stop using coded keys on cars destined for California. Good for theives, bad for consumers.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good call.

Will they be offering 24 hour roadside ECU re-programming to match up to the immobilizor keys...?

In my province we get insurance discounts if we have immobilizors in our cars, OEM or aftermarket. And a 2 or 3 point immobilizor has really only been the only thing that prevented theives from jacking my parked car over the last 10 years...

3 times with no success. They are absolutely the best anti-theft device IMHO.

The idiot Democrats actually did something right, well sort of, for once in California. Most of the laws they write up are just stupid feel good laws that don't do anything. Effective Jan 1, 2008, manufacturers must provide a way for registered car owners to obtain a replacement key 24/7/365. Companies like BMW and Merc have till 2013 to comply, but in the mean time must supply keys within 24 hours of request.

How is this not a feel good law? You californians are all nuts. :lol:

I forgot to add, this only applies to new car purchased or leased after Jan. 1, 2008.

What's the easiest way for manufacturers to comply with the law, leave out the immobilizers and coded keys on California cars, or just stop selling that model, ie. California only gets the 2.5i and not the GT.

i dont see how they can offer roadside assistance with programmers. thats gonna be expensive. the scan tool that programs the keys is not cheap. but then again no locksmithing tool is either. they gotta have a way they can tap into subaru to get the security code too. the way we do it here at our dealership is we call the subaru tech line.

When i purchased my car they lost one key/fob for the car. They had a new one with in a couple of days and they reprogrammed the ECU/BCU with the new keys right there at the dealership.

I don't think this has any impact on subaru.

When i purchased my car they lost one key/fob for the car. They had a new one with in a couple of days and they reprogrammed the ECU/BCU with the new keys right there at the dealership.

I don't think this has any impact on subaru.

The problem is it says (according to the OP) that customers must have a way to obtain a key 24/7/365. That's where the problem lies in my opinion. This law is ludicrous. Thank god I'll never live in CA.

True, True, I want more laws taking away my rights. This will enable car theives to be caught and summarily executed. We need more politicians with balls. I'd give anything to keep even one car from being stolen.

While you don't live in California, it may affect you too. As it is, most car companies build cars to meet California emissions to send to the other states.

This does affect Subaru if they intend to sell cars in California if they spec them with a coded key like they do right now with the LGT.

The intent of the law is to allow a way for a consumer to get a key in case it gets lost or stolen without having to deal with an unreasonable wait, try getting a replacement key for a Merc. Let's say you lost your keys right now. It's 3pm on Saturday as I'm typing this. Guess what, you can't get a replacement key for your LGT until Monday, after you tow the car to the dealership. Only Subaru dealers can get you a new key. They can only do so with the car present and they have to call Subaru's Tech Line during normal business hours. So if you are on vacation or driving long distances, you are pretty much f-ed till Monday morning if there's a dealership nearby. Then your keys at home no longer works either, so that's another trip back to the dealership to get all the keys reprogrammed.

So the intent is good, but it really screws with the manufacturers and in the end screws the consumers. Like I said, odds are everyone will go back to a conventional non-encoded keys to get around this law.

Like I said they are idiot Democrats who love writing feel good laws. It's the same idiots that believe 50 cal rifles are dangerouse to society. Sarcasm on: everyone's got a 35+ lbs, 5 feet long, $5000+ rifle that shoots a round that cost $5+ per shot.

The problem is it says (according to the OP) that customers must have a way to obtain a key 24/7/365. That's where the problem lies in my opinion. This law is ludicrous. Thank god I'll never live in CA.

I wouldn't speek too soon. I said that all the way up till I found out my Wife got a job out here. I really miss my home state (wa). Yes, CA is backwards in most things and they try to go forwards but make things impossible. The problem with this state is it is to F'in big and diverse. Things that work for say LA, don't work for places like San Fran.

And it is just the Decomocrats that are idiots, it is all politians, dems and republicans alike. They both create crazy laws and inane things just to make themselves feel confortable. It is just a differance of prespectives.

And Yes in my opionion as an independent, a 50 cal rifle is dangorious to secoity and should be at worst controlled if not baned.

I can see the law makers reasoning on this type of law, they are looking to make things easier for customers, most of them drive BMW's and Mercadies anyway, Fat over paid under worked sob's. My mom has a '00 C230 kompressor and only has 1 key for it and a additional key would cost $200 + 3 weeks to get it sent from Germany and then Labor charges of 2 hours to get it coded to the car. I think that is a little rediculous.

ok rant off

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Like I said they are idiot Democrats who love writing feel good laws. It's the same idiots that believe 50 cal rifles are dangerouse to society. Sarcasm on: everyone's got a 35+ lbs, 5 feet long, $5000+ rifle that shoots a round that cost $5+ per shot.
Yeah the idiot democrats created the TSA and the p.a.t.r.i.o.t. act. They also eat republican babies for their health, stems cells, you know.

And Yes in my opionion as an independent, a 50 cal rifle is dangorious to secoity and should be at worst controlled if not baned.

A California Independant is a Liberal Democrat in any other state. Whatever you do, don't visit Wyoming, because these are legal here. No permit required:

Boys .55 anti-tank rifle (Don't knock it until you've shot one -- IF YOUR WIFE GIVES YOU PERMISSION.)

With late WWII ammunition, able to penetrate 20mm of amour inclined 20 degrees from vertical.

I agree, it can be a bitch to control in the back of a Pinzgauer (OK to license for road use in Wyoming) without being strapped down.

It's great for times when other rifles like the AR15M2, Steyr SSG 69, AK47, AK74 with 100 round drum magazine and SKS aren't enough.

I'm glad I left California. (Oh my, I lost my car key. It costs $90? Let's pass a law!!!!)

California, Land-0-Weenies.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/Boys1.jpeg

You can't buy a LGT in California?

Hypothetical possiblity in working around the law. Easiest way to not have to deal with conforming to the law is to not bring cars with coded keys into the state.

Not importing a model because of a law has been done before. Volkswagen had TDI in California for a while. Then California changed the emissions law for diesel passenger cars. VW basically couldn't meet the emissions requirement so they stopped. Only recently have they started bringing the TDI back because California changed the law again.

California - Better Living Through Legislation

:rolleyes:

Maybe one day automakers will tell California "Fine, you don't get any more cars." Guess who'll back down first? All the automakers would have to do is not make California-specific models for a week and consumers would demand the laws be repealed.

I can see it now. "What, no more BMWs? Call the governor!"

Whatever you do, don't visit Wyoming, because these are legal here.

Better not leave the states since all of California's surrounding states allow 50 cal and also machine guns and silencers, might get caught in all that cross fire.

Wyoming is just not a safe place to go. Heaven forbid, those irresponsible politicians allow them to drive, OMG 75 mph.

California - Better Living Through Legislation

:rolleyes:

Maybe one day automakers will tell California "Fine, you don't get any more cars." Guess who'll back down first? All the automakers would have to do is not make California-specific models for a week and consumers would demand the laws be repealed.

I can see it now. "What, no more BMWs? Call the governor!"

It almost happened. The California Air Resources Board has tried to mandate 2% ZERO EMMISSIONS new vehicles sold in the state as early as 1998. The regulation was pushed back several times and car manufacturers successfully sued California over this in 2002.

Funny how nobody wants a car with a real world range of 75 miles for $50,000. The battery technology isn't good enough and the vehicles would have to be subsidized to sell. GM's lease deal on EV-1s was heavily subsidized and they only put a few hundred on the road.

If the law stayed in place, only manufacturers that sold two (and later five) percent zero emmission cars of their total California sales would be allowed to do do business in California.

Car makers estimated having to increase prices on the other 98% of the cars sold in California $2,000 to $3,500 to subsidize the other 2% (zero emmission cars) to a price at which people would actually buy them.

Think about it. Jack up the price of 98 Legacy GTs by $2,000 so that 2 Hollywood Greenies can buy an electric Imprezza for $15,999.

With the latest proposition on the ballet for Nov., we won't have to worry about cars, even worse, we just won't get any gasoline. They want to tax oil companies about $485M per year on oil from California, but they can't charge higher prices with that tax.:icon_conf Which just means, they'll import gas from other states and charge higher prices. :icon_mad: This tax is suppose to reduce gas usage, how I don't know. And to pay for the $4 BILLION, over 10 years, they want to spend on research into alternative energy for cars. Somehow I don't think the oil companies will absorb the $4B tax.

Hypothetical possiblity in working around the law. Easiest way to not have to deal with conforming to the law is to not bring cars with coded keys into the state.

Not importing a model because of a law has been done before. Volkswagen had TDI in California for a while. Then California changed the emissions law for diesel passenger cars. VW basically couldn't meet the emissions requirement so they stopped. Only recently have they started bringing the TDI back because California changed the law again.

10-4

I am sorry but i have to raise the B*ll Sh*t flag here. Anyone who is going to spend 7700.00 (without the nessary 1200.00 scope) for a 5 ft long 37 pound rifle, is not going to rob the local quicky mart or shoot his wife. This uneducated liberal attitude toward high end firearms is insane. 99.9% of all violent crime is comitted by guns which cost less then 300.00. High horsepower vehicales are more dangerous to society then guns. More teenagers are killed each year by high speed then firearms. In addition, banning weapons from one state but not all states does nothing to keep bad guys from obtaining them legally and using them in crimes in other states. The ban on assault weapons in Kalifornia is a sham and does NOTHING to prevent crime.

Oh, automaker will just require dealers to keep an extra key for all the vehicales it sells and fedex them in case of need

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Archived