LegacyGT.com

Plug and play HID kit?

Zac88

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some argue that the heat produced by the 55w bulb is too much and can damage the headlight housing.

Not for the BL/BP ('05-'09) - many have used and are using the 55W units for low-beam headlamp application, with no reported issues AFAIK.

With the BL/BP's fogs there's been about a half-dozen who've confirmed no concerns on the '05-'07 setup with a 55W HID plug-in. The story remains an unknown with the latter-revision '08/'09's fogs.

There have been perhaps a small handful of truly freak occurrences of, for example, a 65W standard halogen-incandescent H7 (i.e. Osram Hyper, etc.) melting/distorting the headlamp assembly or of wiring that's melted (likely direct-contact heat issues), but again, these are truly singular occurrences, and are overwhelmed by the vast majority of those who used such setups with no reported issues.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Some argue that the heat produced by the 55w bulb is too much and can damage the headlight housing.

This is a null argument as the heat is only ~6-10º more (a guy on hidplanet tested this it before and came up with around 10 degrees difference). I run 55w in my retro and have 0 effects. My cousin ran 55w for over a year in his stock setup with 0 effects as well.

^ Man, now that I'm finally starting to look at really playing with the lighting (after all these years! :redface:), I really should register on the hidplanet Forums and get active....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Do I need to take out the headlights to install HIDs without drilling the holes?

^ yes. but replacement caps are like only $8-$10 to replace.

I believe that F-WDC meant "no." That you do *not* need to remove the headlamp unit from the rest of the vehicle. ;) That only the moisture/dust-cover for the low-beam element needs to come off, to be drilled.

This is a great walk-through:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/plug-and-play-hid-install-walkthrough-69506.html?t=69506&highlight=HID

Ballast size is considerably smaller, now, but the mechanics of the install are still the same.

Also, this walk-through does not feature a how-to for a typical add-on wiring harness hook-up. I have that bookmarked on another computer and will return to this thread to redirect. :)

^yea sorry i was way to concise.

Yes you have to remove the headlights to do a drill-less install.

But drilling is easy and to save from the hassel of removing the bumper to remove the lights to install the hids and then reinstall everything and align the headlights when you can just drill into $8 headlight moisture/dust caps.

^ Yep, that's it - and I also must say that I didn't read Woodstock's post correctly, either :redface: ... for he mentioned "without drilling!" My bad! :redface:

Looks like we're both reading and typing way too fast today, bruddah. :lol:

I personally never take the easy way out so I spend to much $$$ and time on mine.. :lol:

^ :wub::lol::lol:

Hey, speaking of money and time - did you get those LED DRLs? How's that project coming?

Archived