LegacyGT.com

pls help newbie with catless dp questions

smitty69

Hello-

I just bought 05 LGT limited three weeks ago. I just installed XO2 racing catless dp 11/15 and have several questions/concerns which I hope someone can help me with.

First, I could not remove the O2 sensor from the stock dp. I was thinking about purchasing a new one, but since the new dp is catless, won't I just get the check engine light anyway?

Second, with the aftermarket dp, do I need to remove the entire heat shield that surrounded the stock dp and install it? Right now it is off, and I have not felt any excessive heat on the floorboards. Also, the heat shield at the connection to the turbo will not go on due to the larger aftermarket dp. Is it necessary? If so, I have already tried to cut the old one, but would pretty much have to remove the entire part that protects the sidewalls on the passanger side. Is there an aftermarket heatshield that will fit?

Lastly, and I don't know how this is related at all, but since installing the dp, my cruise control will not work, the light on the dash just constantly is bliniking. Any ideas?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

If you put in a DP you need to get tuned. You either need to go see a tuner, or buy an access port.

The blinking cruize is from your missing O2 sensor :spin: You need to reattach it and get tuned.

You can cut your stock heat sheild... or you can buy the COBB one that many of the vendors on this site sell.

Your best bet is to contact a Vendor for all of your needs.

http://legacygt.com/index.php?page=vendors&

^^^click that link for a list of major site vendors

or this link for all of them :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showgroups.php

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

1. You do not need a tune for a DP (if it doesn't add air or fuel, a tune is not necessary).

2. The blinking cruise control light is the CEL for the missing rear O2

3. WTF is in the bung of the XO2 DP if the O2 sensor isn't.

4. You don't need a heat shield around the DP and if the Turbo heat shield won't fit, cut it to make it fit.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

You absolutely need the access port. This will take care of 1) flashing cruise 2) error readings from you new O2 sensor due to catless 3) allow you to enjoy the benefits of the new DP

I too had trouble getting that O2 out of the stocker. I got it out, but it was stripped by that time ... $127 later I got a new one. Try and soak it with PB Blaster.

Get a Cobb heat shield or cut the stock one. I ran with the stock one cut out for over a year and just recently put a Cobb one on. You need a turbo heat shield to combat heat soak.

Also a mesh grill wouldn't hurt either...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74767

;)

I beg to differ :rolleyes: your chances of getting a CEL are HUGE ;)

A tune is not the only way to eliminate a CEL. You can run a DP without a tune for as long as you want, there will be no detrimental effects, just a flashing cruise light. Eliminating a CEL and a tune are two different things.

A tune is not the only way to eliminate a CEL. You can run a DP without a tune for as long as you want, there will be no detrimental effects, just a flashing cruise light. Eliminating a CEL and a tune are two different things.

I never said it was the only way to get rid of a CEL :lol:

who seriously want's to drive around with a blinking cruise?:confused:

I never said it was the only way to get rid of a CEL :lol:

who seriously want's to drive around with a blinking cruise?:confused:

Ever own a car with TPMS and swap wheels? :lol:

When someone says "You need a tune", you imply that the car will assplode if he/she doesn't. You need a tune for a intake, injectors, or a turbo. Exhaust related changes do not require a tune (just live with the CEL or find a mechanical fix or go to Casper Electronics).

Ever own a car with TPMS and swap wheels? :lol:

When someone says "You need a tune", you imply that the car will assplode if he/she doesn't. You need a tune for a intake, injectors, or a turbo. Exhaust related changes do not require a tune (just live with the CEL or find a mechanical fix or go to Casper Electronics).

I said "need a tune" only because it appears to me that the OP has no experience with this and wants the CEL to go away.

Sure he can get a resistor or something of that nature but it doesn't help him any if wants gains.

Thanks to all. What is this mesh grill, anyway? I'm planning on a dyno tune and ap once I complete the entire exhaust system, but since I only have funds to replace one piece a month it doesn't make sense to get a dyno after each installation.

I did get the O2 sensor out of the old dp, let you all know what happens after I install (car is up on jack stands right now). If the CEL continues to flash, I guess I'll just live with it for a couple more months!

It depends how picky you are. When you drop the post turbo restriction, spool up gets faster. You "should" retune the PID loop to keep things in check. You can get away without a tune because stock tuning has pretty low boost + conservative fueling but to say there is no change is a little misleading. I wouldn't immediately say one needs or doesn't need a tune. The end user has to decide what they are comfortable with given the effect their modification.

As for getting the O2 sensor out, just apply fire to the bung. When it is glowing, the sensor should come loose. Just use a proper o2 sensor socket and a breaker bar. IMHO, pentrating lubes are a bad idea on an o2 sensor....

Archived