LegacyGT.com

Plastic LGT Intake Manifold Problems? Anyone? Anyone?

Sebaru

Has anyone had any Plastic LGT Intake Manifold Problems? Anyone? Anyone?

Just wondering about swapping it for an aluminum one in the future for better turbo choices (i.e. rotated or sube conventional). Also for brittleness issues too.

Like every other non-metal piece under the hood of a turbo sube I wonder how long it will last before it starts becoming brittle. I remember my older turbo legacies plastic parts would crack if I looked at them wrong :rolleyes:

I know the plastic insulates better from the heat whereas the aluminum conducts the heat better.

Just wondering...

and YES I did a "thread search" and didn't find anything....

Thanks in advance!

For once rao is not being sarcastic. Not only will the damn thing out live all of us, it is more efficient than the metal ones. Have you noticed many race teams are now using the plastic manifold? Yes the TB position causes a restriction, but the runners are soooo smooth and the heat absorption properties of the plastic are so much better. In the end it makes up for the TB position.

I posted these for Mike. MWeiner2, so I might as well share them here too. You want a reverse manifold made of plastic? Here you go. Its easier than the metal version and I think it is cleaner too.

Oh, and Rob... I know your serious.

Elliotmockup1.jpg.9f752b1e40cf0570c5f321ffe66403f9.jpg

elliotmockup3.jpg.fe22afc2cb118b7f84919545ff500485.jpg

Elliotsblock2.jpg.c0ce63e840a0a5973775cd4887d929d8.jpg

Elliotsblock3.jpg.5e12a3cb00c25423b511ee5ebb64de38.jpg

FinalmockupA.jpg.1daf40692ecc27c6aa5c610af5152891.jpg

FinalmockupC.jpg.23cb2779d3e1518b94cdd6599da75c09.jpg

P1010011.jpg.43642dcc372431cdf59a0c9f27a40b63.jpg

I posted these for Mike. MWeiner2, so I might as well share them here too. You want a reverse manifold made of plastic? Here you go. Its easier than the metal version and I think it is cleaner too.

Oh, and Rob... I know your serious.

That setup looks well done, however i thought most of the reason for reversing the manifold was to reduce the length of intercooler piping. The setup here looks like he might have lost a foot of piping. If the turbo was clocked and both pipes went down the passenger side you could lose alot more piping.

That setup looks well done, however i thought most of the reason for reversing the manifold was to reduce the length of intercooler piping. The setup here looks like he might have lost a foot of piping. If the turbo was clocked and both pipes went down the passenger side you could lose alot more piping.

Bingo. Clock the turbo 180 degrees, and rotate it 90 degrees. Let the air filter sit where the stock TMIC sat, and run the charge pipe down the passenger fender.

I know APS makes a bunch of same-side in/out intercoolers.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived