LegacyGT.com

Planning a Trip to CO this summer - need help planning

twisted

Plan on driving from Dallas to Denver this summer.

Since we have no clue of the area and this will be a recreational trip I am looking to tap into your collective data bank for recommendations

1. Route

2. Sights (my wife's got a thing for mountains, I'm more of a beach person). Looking for places with great views and nice forests/rivers etc.

3. Stops (Not much for camping in tents but lodges/resorts are fine)

4. My wife also is crazy for adventure sports (whitewater, bungee, zip-lines, gliding) and theme-parks.

Time frame is 1 week.

Thx

My advise would be to pick a classic mountain town or two to visit...like Steamboat, Crested Butte, or Telluride....etc. Then start planning out your activities. Colorado has so many places to check out. Can't do them all in 1 week.

Plenty of white-water adventure out there. Check out some of the ones through the Royal Gorge out of Canon City.

If you are bringing the Suby, I'd also recommend the drive up Pikes Peak :D I'm not allowed to go anymore... I've scared the wife one-too-many-times. :(

Do what all the Texans do, go to Silverton/Ouray/Telluride. Beautiful in the San Juan Mountains.

Then head up to Montrose and do some WW in the Black Canyon. Serious water through there, not sure how "extreme" you guys are. I'm sure you can plan trips for any level though.

Those places are probably the closest to you and also relatively close to each other.

Silverton->Ouray is ~35 mins.

Ouray -> Telluride ~1 hour.

Ouray -> Montrose ~1 hour.

Glenwood Springs. Great scenery, rafting, hot springs, alpine slide, decent bars, shopping, cool historic hotel. Def worth seeing if you're looking for Colorado experiences.

Too much to list.

Buena Vista has quite a few rafting outfits along the Arkansas River, same river that goes under the Royal Gorge Bridge. They have 1/2 day, full day and possibly over night trips. But you'll have a great experience with a half day.

Glenwood Springs, raft the Colorado, stay at the hot springs resort. You'll see the pool right next to I-70. Check out hidden lake in the canyon and hike up to it.

From Denver to Durango, one day trip, million dollar highway to silverton. Southwest Colorado is very nice. hiways 160, 550, Independence Pass on 82 to go to Aspen and Glenwood Springs.

Get a real map or atlas where you see the whole state to see where all the roads and places that are listed in this thread.

Rocky mountain national park is also a great visit. Careful if you go fishing there as you might eat an endagered species and might have to pony up quite a bit of money.

If you want to go hiking I'd recommend cheeseman canyon. It's a beautiful hike if that's your thing and fishing ain't bad either although it can be very tough since there's a lot of fishing pressure.

If you pass through boulder I think you gotta eat at the Dark Horse for their wings.

If you stay in Steamboat Springs make sure to visit Strawberry hot springs. I believe it's a natural spring so you'll be stepping on dirt...although I think its optional nude at night so careful where step.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd highly recommend the trip from grand lake to estes park at some point...you get to drive over the highest paved highway in the country and its absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

The road's still under more than 20 feet of snow right now, but they're trying like hell to plow it. Should be okay later this summer, though.

From Dallas to Colorado, I would definitely take 287 through north west Texas. As you start getting close to New Mexico, the scenery gets very beautiful.

There are tons of great ideas already enumerated in this thread. Colorado is a big place chalk full of awesome. You can't get it all done in one trip. Pick an area and explore it! South West Colorado is breath taking, Ourary is an amazing hamlet, surrounded by awe inspiring mountains. You could check out our great sand dunes too. There is some good camping not to far out.

For the most part, in the Rockies there is white water and trails everywhere. Remember, we love tourists and there is a lot for you to do here.

If you want white water, do the Royal Gorge canon . Best white water experience of my life. Check w/ the guides. Depending on when in the season you get here, the water may be to high/fast for anything other then expert/bat $h!t inane people.

The road's still under more than 20 feet of snow right now, but they're trying like hell to plow it. Should be okay later this summer, though.

haha I just assumed summer because of his thread title ;)

he DOES have a subie though...maybe he should throw on the snow tires, come out early and give it a shot haha!

And btw, talk about a sketchy job, I know those plowtrucks have gps guides on them, but can you imagine having to plow that stretch up on top where the girl flew off years ago? No guardrail, 20 plus feet of snow, and thousands of feet down. No. Thank. You.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Production/Blogs/capital-weather-gang/Images/Trail_Ridge_Road_05729.jpg?uuid=60efLIJqEeCIDuzZ4S7bVg

http://www.estesparknews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/rockcut2may13.jpg

http://slaterphotography.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/trail-ridge-road.jpg

http://cycloclimbing.com/tour2007/images/67trailridge1.JPG

@ twisted, it really is one of the most breathtaking drives you'll ever have the pleasure of enjoying.

Side note: I lived in Grand lake for a LONG time, and one summer when I was 17, I was heading over to estes every weekend to help my grandma. Lemme tell you, some of the STUPIDEST journey's of my life happened that year. I had it down to where I could go gate to gate in a little over 40 minutes. 39 of the most white knuckle miles of my life. That was back when I had the ol' beater 85 gl station wagon. Talk about dumb.

• 3 months later...

Time to bring this back from the Dead:

Trip didnt exactly happen in Summer but we are doing this Sept 15-24th

-Wont bring the Subaru but we are flying-in and renting a car for the week (unless one of you wanna loan me ur spare subaru for a week ;) for a nominal fee of course...lol)

ROUTE

-Land in Denver 15th noon > Drive Straight to Colorado Springs.

-Stay in Colorado Springs 2 nights ...local attractions then hit canon city do the railroad , bridge and a half day whitewater.

-Drive to Aspen stay a night (Snowmass really)

-Drive to Glenwood Springs (stay 2 nights) do the activities and local attractions.

-Drive to Estes Park (2 nights)

-back to Denver and stay 2 nights then fly back to DFW

Questions:

1-How many days are enough for Glenwood Springs(1, 2, 3) and how many for Estes Park (1,2)?

2- Best/safe/fun neighborhood/reasonable hotel to stay in Denver? Best things to do in Denver?

3-What to pack weather wise and activity wise...?

Of course I plan on doing a tour of Stranahan's!!!! ;)

Thx in advance yet again!!!Quick responses are appreciated as time is fast approaching!!!

ROUTE

-Land in Denver 15th noon > Drive Straight to Colorado Springs.

-Stay in Colorado Springs 2 nights ...local attractions then hit canon city do the railroad , bridge and a half day whitewater.

-Drive to Aspen stay a night (Snowmass really)

-Drive to Glenwood Springs (stay 2 nights) do the activities and local attractions.

-Drive to Estes Park (2 nights)

-back to Denver and stay 2 nights then fly back to DFW

Questions:

1-How many days are enough for Glenwood Springs(1, 2, 3) and how many for Estes Park (1,2)?

2- Best/safe/fun neighborhood/reasonable hotel to stay in Denver? Best things to do in Denver?

3-What to pack weather wise and activity wise...?

Of course I plan on doing a tour of Stranahan's!!!! ;)

Thx in advance yet again!!!Quick responses are appreciated as time is fast approaching!!!

Hey, I have lived in Colorado my whole life...

1. Glenwood Springs - 2 nights is good. Try to stay at the Colorado Hotel, I stayed there a long time ago and they claim it is haunted. Ask for a tour of the hotel. It is just a couple minute walk from the gigantic hot springs pool. Bring your nose plugs though because it smells like some serious sulfur.

2. If you stay Downtown make sure to stay near 16th street mall. Lots of good bars there and on Larimer / Market street. Do not stay anywhere north of 23rd. Starts to get rough. If you are looking for a nice area to stay outside of the city limits go to Denver Tech Center. Around Belleview and I-25. Very upscale and safe neighborhoods.

3. Weather can be 40 one day and 80 the next. Very crazy weather. Just pack prepared.

Another good idea for you to do while staying in Colorado Springs is to head south to the Royal Gorge. They have a park similar to an amusement park up there that has the steepest decline railway in the states. You need to see the Royal Gorge once in your life. I would assume it is within 1 hour driving of Colorado Springs.

Hopefully this helped! Have fun on your trip! Colorado is awesome. I would never live anywhere else.

Anyone see a problem with projected Route

Denver > Colorado Springs > Canon City > Aspen > Glenwood Springs > Estes > Denver

PRIMARY CONCERN IS 82 WEST conditons.

(outline of route looks like Toms' head from Tom n Jerry)

CO-Route.thumb.JPG.1f03416e0fc81e86a3bf08d5d6846945.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back yesterday and all we can say is WOW!!!

What a nice state with so much to see and do.

First and foremost....Great smooth roads (traffic laden around Denver)

We went to:

CO SPRINGS > CANON CITY > GLENWOOD SPRINGS > ASPEN & SNOWMASS > ESTES PARK & RMNP > DENVER.

Denver is a great city so clean, new infrastructure, walk-able downtown, well-lit, great architecture, parks, breweries, restaurants.......thinking about moving there in the future........anyone wanna recommend good companies in the area? The Enterprise size companies that have a decent IT department, preferably Healthcare, Banking/Financial, Insurance, Transportation/Logistics.

Highlights of the trip were - Pikes Peak, Maroon Bells, Drive from Canon City to Glenwood Springs, Rafting @ Glenwood, Hiking half-way to Hanging lake (could nto complete due to time-constraint) Cherry Creek, Larimer Square/!6th St Mall.

Will post pics in a few days. Thx you all for your inputs!!!!

^^ Really fantastic loop - great planning! The only thing I would have done different is spend a day in Boulder (b/w Estes park and Denver). Personally I like Boulder better than Denver, and lived in each place for ~5 years or so... now live half way in between so 15 minutes to either place.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

anyone wanna recommend good companies in the area? The Enterprise size companies that have a decent IT department, preferably Healthcare, Banking/Financial, Insurance, Transportation/Logistics.

My former employer in the Denver Tech Center seems to frequently have openings:

www.jackson.com

Glad you had a great time in Colorado! I've been here 27 years and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

anyone wanna recommend good companies in the area? The Enterprise size companies that have a decent IT department, preferably Healthcare, Banking/Financial, Insurance, Transportation/Logistics.

What specifically do you do in IT? Denver/Boulder/Foco/CS has a ton of IT, there is aerospace, biotech, software companies, etc... But depending on what your specialty is, it may be a slam dunk, or well a pita...

Archived