LegacyGT.com

Plan B9 From Outer Space

'Interesting' article about the B9 in the NY Times:

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca: Plan B9 From Outer Space

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/automobiles/11AUTO.html

I like this line:

'To wit: not only is its grille design as unfamiliar as it is ugly, but the way in which the gaping maw has also attached itself to the 2006 Subaru Impreza could only be the work of body snatchers.'

I didn't know SOA was trying to market the Leg as a BMW 5:

'And even if the styling is your idea of futuristic and cutting edge, the B9 Tribeca is no more a BMW than the Legacy is a 5 Series.'

how the hell do u compare a compact to a mid-size sedan...even if the moron had said "3 series", i could have come to terms...but to compare to a 5 series just shows how deprived they are of car knowledge.....sheer idiots!!!!!

that right there dis-qualifies their review on grounds of 'credibility'...so who cares..let the street dogs bark...thats what they do!!!

how the hell do u compare a compact to a mid-size sedan...even if the moron had said "3 series", i could have come to terms...but to compare to a 5 series just shows how deprived they are of car knowledge.....sheer idiots!!!!!

that right there dis-qualifies their review on grounds of 'credibility'...so who cares..let the street dogs bark...thats what they do!!!

Where was a compact compared to a midsize? Are you calling the Legacy a compact? That's silly.

Comparing the Legacy with the BMW 5 series would be like comparing the author of that article with an actual compentent writer.

Comparing the Legacy with the BMW 5 series would be like comparing the author of that article with an actual compentent writer.

Actually the legacy and 5 series are close in size. 5 series has a better proportioned interior though depending on which revision (I haven't test sat the latest).

I find the fact that reviewers get all pissy and insist on comparing a $25k car from a quirky japanese nameplate to what they constantly insist on calling the best car in the world over and over to say a lot. It's mostly complementary to subaru and a warning to BMW the way I see it. It may not be intended that way, but if you think about it a minute or two it's obvious. Do you hear the same thing said of the camry, impala, etc quite so often as you have heard it of the legacy of late?

Would you have the same reaction if the comparison of the Leg vs. the 5 series were favorable? :icon_tong
Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

I have a very good comparision, my business partner has a brand new BMW 530xi wagon (AWD)

My LGT wagon = $27,000, his BMW 5 wagon = $59,000 (these are actual paid prices)

In terms of looks - for me the Leg wins. The last 5 series was really beautiful, the new Bangleized 5 looks like shit to me. I will say this, I think the 5 wagon looks much better than the C-Dan.

Exterior quality - The 5 series has much better sheet metal, paint, fit and finish, although there was a small paint blemish. The 5 series pays for it in weight - a much heavier car. The LGT has light thin sheet metal and cheep paint - makes the car handle better and is quicker, but the metal dents easy and the paint chips if you breath on it.

Performance - the Leg is quicker and a little more fun to drive. The 5 series has one of the best Auto trans I have ever driven, and the power is smooth and steady. The 5 Engine is sweet - but not quiet the thril ride of the Leg.

Handling - the Leg is a little more 'choppier' or less fluild, but it is lighter and more responsive to steering input during hard cornering. It feels to me (very subjective), that the Leg has better/more responsive 4 wheel drive, but the 530xi has better suspension. For my style, I like the Leg better, and with some good rubber and coilovers should be equal or better than the 530xi.

Interior - no comparison, the 530xi wins hands down. Not even the same league. The Leg has a high quality and clean interior, but it is missing a lot of little details and extra features found in the 3 series, VW's and hondas. Still, although the Leg interior is good, fit and finish is nowhere close to the 5, so is that where the extra 32k comes in? Oh, i-drive sucks, but after a while you can live with it. I can also use my bluetooth phone and i-pod with the 5 series - NOT with the Leg :icon_evil

So, I am happy with my Leg, if I was going to spend 60k on a car, the 5 would be at the top of my list if it didn't look so ugly.

For the Leg to come this close to a 5 series for 30k less, is a significent achievement for Subi, but it is not in the same league - like apples and oranges.

iyamdaman... That's exactly my point. A bunch of car critics have tried out the legacy, and find that if they put it up against a 3 series, it has to jsutify a higher price without much more performance, less space, and less practicality. You bump it up to the 5, and although the 5 clearly is the better car, you now have to justify a $32k price gap.

Subaru took a nice shot at the a4 and 3 series, and you have a bunch of car snobs turning up their noses and declaring how crass it is of subaru to consider themselves a competitor to the 5 series.

It sounds to me like the auto critics are drawing the conclusion just to knock it down. They also did it to bash on the B9.

To be honest, I don't like the tribeca either, but then again, I am not an "open minded" reviewer, and have no desire for a car-biased suv. But I don't need to use the 'holy grail' of BMW to club subaru in the head. Petty and crass, really. c'mon. If anything, Subaru is filling the market that BMW has moved onward and upward from, certainly not directly competing with them.

the only reference I have heard supposedly from FHI's mouth, is that Subaru took aim at the lower end of the A4 in the design of the Legacy. (probably Pilot and Highlander with the B9, not x3 or x5) AWD, turbo, handsome styling, and clean interior. a slight price increase for the Audi, but not more than about $5k, which the Spec B promptly more than erases.

Comparing it to their "market heavyweights" like the 5-series is rediculous. As they say, size doesn't matter. comparing those two on size is like saying a casio and a rolex are similar because the both fit on your wrist.

It is no wonder I have become increasingly skeptical and dismissive of the automotive press, short of perhaps Jeremy Clarkson and columns by Rowan Atkinson and Jay Leno.

BTW, aside from maybe the M5, I would probably get an E-series Mercedes, or Jag S-Type R, before getting a 5-series BMW, if I had to get one sedan in that price range.

Either that, or a modified Legacy AND a sexy little FD RX7 like one I saw the other day in Des Moines. A 99 JDM facelift, and a glass moonroof(most were steel moonroofs, or plain, VERY few had glass) and a set of rims...that's about it, and all it really needed. Aside from some mis-matched-color paint on the new bumper and headlight doors, it looked HAAAAAWT. Two cars are better than one!

Everyone knows that stripped down euro cars are generally unavailable and the options cost a fortune. Reasonably speced 5 series are 50K.

You used to be able to get a stripped down A4 for like $25k a couple of years ago but it didn't come with anything.

"Oh! You vanted seats and oon steering veel in dat, da? Ve hab dem. Yep. Dey are an option, Herr Kustomer! Veels too!"

I saw that review...was pretty harsh.

the line 'And even if the styling is your idea of futuristic and cutting edge, the B9 Tribeca is no more a BMW than the Legacy is a 5 Series.' is completely moronic. The legacy isnt trying to be a 5 series, as it costs approximately HALF the cost!

The people who write the reviews for the auto section on sunday are generally idiots and not knowledgable..they are most definitely not "car people."

+1234. The people who write for the local Auto's section in the weekend Vancouver Sun are complete assclowns. Either that or they write their articles so dumbed down that it hurts to read.

haha i compared the B9 to the pilot b4 i bought my b9 on sat. test drove the pilot for a few hours... haha 1st of all it looks like an oversized forester. second the interrior is cheap and it doesnt have nav.. it had a dvd player tho.. so i went with the fully loaded tribeca.. well worth the 40k. kinda makes me not wanna drive my lgt.

I find the fact that reviewers get all pissy and insist on comparing a $25k car from a quirky japanese nameplate to what they constantly insist on calling the best car in the world over and over to say a lot. It's mostly complementary to subaru and a warning to BMW the way I see it. It may not be intended that way, but if you think about it a minute or two it's obvious. Do you hear the same thing said of the camry, impala, etc quite so often as you have heard it of the legacy of late?

I agree that it could be on the plus side for Subaru. However it would be better if they mentioned the Subaru in a review of the BMW. What they do is constantly find things to bitch about on the Subaru and all they can come up with is the fit and finish isn't up to standards with a car that cost over twice as much. I would love to see someone take a 30,000 dollar legacy and invest 20,000 dollars into the suspension, engine, and interior and I am sure that fit and finish would be well up to par or better than a BMW.

I do see your point.

Archived