LegacyGT.com

Perrin Short Ram Intake

moviemadness

I've searched and read over 20 posts about this intake, yet there were no known solutions or definite issues with the product. All the posts just seemed to die out with no conclusion.

Does anyone have FACTS about this intake or PROVEN problems with it?

I know all the audible issues, but are there any proven facts that it will mess up my engine or cause potential damage?

I might have acted a lil too soon,

cuz I should be receiving it in the mail tomorrow.:icon_lol::icon_twis

btw - stock engine as of now.

plans: AP stg. 1

Sorry, my post was deleted before I finished - I'm reworking the post....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The logs taken by myself and Mccorry, and possibly others, prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that aftermarket intakes cause your AFR to run leaner than normal.

This has been proven to cause higher exhaust temps and the ECU pulling timing to prevent knock. So although the noise may make you feel like you're faster, it actually is probably robbing power.

Whether it will actually cause long term damage is not known yet, but I didn't want to risk that with a C$35,000 car, maybe some people do ?

This wasn't the big map intake, it was the standard one? Right?

Is the MAP housing a different size or configuration so that it's causing an invalid reading on the MAP sensor? Or is it just flowing more air?

Yep, I can vouch for this... untuned it can give problems.

I had a 'stage 1 equivalent' ecutek tune (helix uppipe), and went to my shop for the intake. I put it on, and drove the car to mcdonald's while waiting for my turn on the dyno. I got detonation within 100 feet of leaving the shop, and the advance multiplier went to .5. After a tune, I got significant power gains, especially hp on the top end.

This wasn't the big map intake, it was the standard one? Right?

Is the MAP housing a different size or configuration so that it's causing an invalid reading on the MAP sensor? Or is it just flowing more air?

MAF, not MAP. The MAP sensor isn't affected by the intake.

what do you mean by a tuned car?

how extensively tuned?

Good questions sir and I'm glad to respond. :)

Usually a Stage 1 ECU reflash can handle the CAI or the Short Ram. Usually though it's best to flash the car ECU, get an Up or Down pipe for your exhaust and THEN think about getting a CAI.

Now, the ideal situtation would be this:

Stage 2 ECU Flash

Up Pipe

Down Pipe with high flow cat

Full exhaust system from HFC back

Perrin Short Ram Intake or alike.

That's the ideal.

Indeed, the current consensus is that non-laminar flow seems to be the problem.

My LGT (currently UP, shorty DP) was custom-tuned with the Perrin in-place, and it seems to fare well with a comparable vehicle using the K&N Typhoon. Brother GTsleeper's '05 5EAT and my '05 5MT share the same wHP curve, but it is worth noting that he has about 70 more wTQ, on the same dyno, than me, at a significantly earlier point in the powerband - not sure if this is due to the way dyno reacts to the 5EAT, or if it is capable to be traced down to the intake, as I have not yet had a chance to "swap vehicles" with my good brother for a back-to-back test-drive.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived