LegacyGT.com

Perrin Endlinks snap, crackle & pop

LandShark

If reading this for the first time, please jump to post 21 to see that this was not a Perrin problem. The end links were installed incorrect and that was the root cause.

I don't care for bashing specific brand of aftermarket parts, but I feel that since I personally invested over $2 grand in Perrin performance parts, I get the right to bitch & moan!

I've had my new Perrin front & rear swaybars on for about a month now. When I had them installed, only the Perrin front endlinks were available. My rear endlinks were on back-order. So my rear swaybar is installed but with the whimpy-ass stock end links.

Well, in the past several days, my front end started making unpleasant noises. The squeking soon turned into clunking. The clunking has now matured into shitty sounding snaps & pops.

I took it into the dealer who is cool with aftermarket mods. He put it up on the lift and quickly determined that the Perrin front endlink bearings were worn out from road dirt & debris. A picture of the Perrin endlinks is attached. Notice the exposed bearing housings.

Based on the parts manager's experience, he feels that the "open bearings" design lends itself to quick deterioration. Oscar strongly recommends sealed bearing housings preferably with Zerk fittings for maintenance lubrication. Funny thing is that I already had a set of AVO adjustable front endlinks. I plan to put those on (it was too late and I did not have them with me at the dealership).

I'd be interested in hearing from any other Legacy drivers with the Perrin front and/or rear endlinks on, especially with the Perrin swaybars. Is anybody else experience a premature breakdown and clunky noises?

Perrinfrontlinks.jpg.87d2b27d124b5ba5fc810edf7d1becc2.jpg

Have you contacted Perrin yet? Is it all of the bearings or just one? I assume that the bearings are the same as they use on the WRX and STi endlinks and I know some people that have been running those for quite some time with no issues.

Nope, no probs. But I don't care what perrin told you when they said your fronts were fine they way they were. Agreeing with me that they were installed wrong. With the degree angle you had on your fronts...you were already putting to much pre-tension on the bar. That may be why your bearings are kaka. Also, have you checked to make sure there is still grease on the bushings?

I have had no probs, but I will definetly check now when I install my catback, which should be here this week.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Boxer,

Your points are well taken. It's true that Jeff at Perrin looked at my posted pics and agreed that the install was acceptable. He said that the only error was the "extra" spacer that was on the nut-side. But he said that as long as the nut had full thread engagement (and it did) then it was acceptable. He said the extra spacer is for the wagon install only.

As for your question on grease, the short answer is NO. The Subaru tech said they looked bone-dry to him. They were greased when they were installed 4 weeks ago. We have had almost constant rain in SoCal for the past month. So they have been washed hard with road water and may have had the grease scrubbed away. Even so, I dont think that's a very robust design when the bearing housings are exposed like that.

Take a look at the AVO endlinks: http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_66&products_id=112

Notice that the bearings are fully enclosed in rubber booties. I was shown a set made by Hotchkis at the dealership (but for the WRX) that were enclosed with rubber booties and had Zerk fittings for easy relubing. Even the damn bushing mounts had Zerk fittings and really cool lube grooves to distribute it evenly around the swaybar.

I don't want to harp on Perrin's design without merit to my argument. But I do feel it could be much improved. I plan to return my Perrin rear endlinks and buy the AVO rear links instead.

Boxer,

Your points are well taken. It's true that Jeff at Perrin looked at my posted pics and agreed that the install was acceptable. He said that the only error was the "extra" spacer that was on the nut-side. But he said that as long as the nut had full thread engagement (and it did) then it was acceptable. He said the extra spacer is for the wagon install only.

As for your question on grease, the short answer is NO. The Subaru tech said they looked bone-dry to him. They were greased when they were installed 4 weeks ago. We have had almost constant rain in SoCal for the past month. So they have been washed hard with road water and may have had the grease scrubbed away. Even so, I dont think that's a very robust design when the bearing housings are exposed like that.

Take a look at the AVO endlinks: http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_66&products_id=112

Notice that the bearings are fully enclosed in rubber booties. I was shown a set made by Hotchkis at the dealership (but for the WRX) that were enclosed with rubber booties and had Zerk fittings for easy relubing. Even the damn bushing mounts had Zerk fittings and really cool lube grooves to distribute it evenly around the swaybar.

I don't want to harp on Perrin's design without merit to my argument. But I do feel it could be much improved. I plan to return my Perrin rear endlinks and buy the AVO rear links instead.

Acceptable and correct are two different things. The front endlinks were at too severe an angle. At the same time I would agree with you that you should return the endlinks and get the AVO. I installed some on rclarks car, very nice!

Open bearing designs are used by many other companies (Whiteline, Agency Power, Noltec, ect ect ect) Bottom line, you either got crappy endlinks or were given sh!tty advice from their tech.

On the bushings, use Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Won't wash away and is very durable.

i just got my avo endlinks today and had my perrin rear swaybar for a couple of weeks.

i'm installing them this weekend.

the swaybars will get a good slathering of grease to stop the noise.

i choose the avo endlinks over the perrins because of the adjustability, this way i can slightly rotate the bar if it interferes with anything.

Just watch'n this tread, as I just installed my Perrin sways and endlinks (front/rear) two weekends ago....def wanna know the outcome. I have no other adjustments to my suspension.

So if I get springs, it will put the endlinks at more of an angle and put me at more risk for what landsharks seeing - is that a correct statment?

Just watch'n this tread, as I just installed my Perrin sways and endlinks (front/rear) two weekends ago....def wanna know the outcome. I have no other adjustments to my suspension.

So if I get springs, it will put the endlinks at more of an angle and put me at more risk for what landsharks seeing - is that a correct statment?

He had the fronts installed incorrectly. Acceptable by Perrins standards, but incorrect nonetheless.

and the calm smile resides on my face again......=)

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7079

Please refer to the above link to see correct installation. I posted this a long time ago regarding the Perrin Fronts.

This is the aformentioned thread that you can see his front endlinks installed:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8109

i had perrin endlinks and swaybars installed a month ago and they have been a nightmare,, first off they preformed great! but now the negatives, they creakede clunked and moaned and made my ride very uncomfortable, then i had a subie shop take a look at it and they reinstalled em and regreased,, great first day but 2 days after it all came back! yuck..ive had problems with perrin products before on my wrx so this not the first time.. the bushings they give us r crap,, im now riding back to stock and lovin it,, its amazing how rough the car rides with the swaybars and endlinks on. yuck

so which ends should i get if i plan on getting sti legacy springs????and what sways????

People are being critical of the Perrin endlinks (although I am curious to know who else has them installed with the extra spacer) and apparently their bushings. Go AVO endlinks, as far as the sways, it depends on how you want the car to behave. Whiteline, progress, cusco all have them out in different sizes. Whiteline and Progress are adjustable.

Wanted to pipe in again since I started this thread. I was able to replace the Perrin front end links with the AVO links and in the process discovered the problem. Yes, indeed the Perrin end links were installed incorrectly. It wasn't the "extra" spacer that was used in the lower attachment to the control arm but rather the fact that the top spacer was placed on the WRONG SIDE of the sway bar. It is supposed to go between the link and the bar.

That explains the crunch sounds that I was getting. The end link was rubbing abusively against the sway bar. The sway bar took chuncks out of the top of the end link due to the rubbing. This is not a Perrin problem. :)

Here are some pics that I took before & after the Perrin front end links were removed.

IM000307.JPG.ca520705b9e7f7a064f5a16b236a7eef.JPG

IM000308.JPG.6e0f152ed3f59479d23d6d42f0f1c594.JPG

IM000312.JPG.49e0670d4cd630a6241587ac0d9c808b.JPG

IM000318.JPG.936849e0ea21ade62b1dbb421d069378.JPG

If anyone cares to see, here are pics of the AVO end links on the front & rear perrin sway bars. Even though perrin is not to blame for the incorrect installation, I must point out that the AVO end links are idiot-proof to install. There's only a single locking nut that goes on the threaded post. The tapered spacer is built into the rubber bootie that encloses the bearing in a pre-lubed housing. A pretty slick arrangement if you ask me.

IM000324.JPG.b418dfdd7d6a2d5d6d96dd3847340030.JPG

IM000327.JPG.0181eb7b891c04d470e7e3ebcb8e1cb0.JPG

IM000328.JPG.2095a8e1c2f9c59706933e71f568efee.JPG

IM000331.JPG.67a3b47412796d473bf435d5e801fae6.JPG

Archived