LegacyGT.com

perrin crank pulley

one bad bg

so i just got a 1 lb perrin crank pulley for my car. and i was just wondering. for the install is it really just taking off 1 bolt, sliding the old pully off and putting the new one on and bolting it in? it just seems too easy. everything performance ive done has turned into a major project. even my borla header was a project cause the bends werent exactly right.

thats exactli it lol. I just did the same thing for my car. But trust me getting that one bolt off is pretty hard in the sense that you really need to heave on it. Just spray some wd-40 on the bolt before you do anything and let it sit for 20 min. ur gonna have to take off the drivers side fan to get enough room and obviously the belts. Then just get a big wrench and turn the bolt, if it doesnt go right away put more weasel piss (WD-40) on it

helpful input. ok now some more advice.....what would help for low end torque.....thats reasonably priced. im not lookin to spend like 2k on a blockswap. just somthing simple......like a crank pulley...simple like that. but for low end. ive alread got full exhaust and partial intake

pulleys acually do make a difference, just not a huge noticable on eunless ur on the highway... heres an example. 2 of my freinds bought identicle (except for color) 95 or 96 acura legends v6.....their acually pretty quick lol. so anyway they did a highway roll at 40 and obviously they were rightnext to each other the whole way to 120. so one of them decided to do a 1.2 lb pulley, and then they both did the same intake. ok so time for another highway 40 roll. what do you know, the pulley car left the other in the dust. so in reality, on the quater its prolly not gonna do much but rolling starts it does make a difference even if the butt dyno doesnt think so. :lol:

I've read that the cam pulley will also give you a bit more fuel efficiency - maybe for the sake of testing it out drive out a tank of gas and then change the pulley so you can compare? you know.. in the mean time you can soak that bolt properly with wd-40 hehe... (I'm planning on doing the same thing so I'd love to know)

A lighter flywheel will give you a bit more rev-up but i've read it reduces fuel efficiency because the momentum of the flywheel keeps the motor from dorpping revs on the highway. Double check this statement.

yea thats correct with the flywheel. the oem flywheel is 23 pounds the ones u want to get are around 12 or 13 anything lighter is gettin a little flimsy. basically the stock flywheel has a large mass hence it has a lot of inertia. inertia=an objects resistance to change its state of motion and mass is directly proportional to inertia. It takes more energy to spin the heavyier flywheel, but once its spinning, its large mass and large inertia means it takes less energy to maintain rpm's. thats where the fuel efficiency comes into play. With a lightweight flywheel it takes less energy to spin the flywheel but more energy to keep it at the rpm's you want because it has a small mass and small intertia which decreases your fuel efficiency.

yea i got some pictures somewhere. it was kinda a pain to do it cause the coil is for a mitsubishi and the holes did not match up on my intake manifold so i had to make a stainless steel bracket that would screw onto the intake manifold and drill 3 more holes onto my bracket in order to attach the blaster coil. and i crimped the three wire sensor from my car onto a three wire mitsubishi sensor wire i found in a junkyard. and just plugged it onto coil

Crazy. Did you have access to a CNC mill / Machine shop for that bracket? It sounds like a much more elegant install than the cylindrical coils - I was asking because I thought you had to find mount locations in the bay.

Now I definitely want to see the pictures.

Is this what you have?

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Coils/Stock_Replacement/8229_-_Mitsubishi_4_Tower_Coil.aspx

i just put the pics in an album check em out. and yea thats the coil. na i did all the bracketwork myself, i just used a cutter and cut out a small stainless square, tapped threads into that were for the intake manifold then tapped the threads for the coil onto the bracket. i didnt do that elegant of a job, im not a machinst or mechanic lol but it works nice

so i installed the pulley today. and ive heard you have to take out the fan and if the bolt is really tough you have to take out the radiator to fit an impact wrench in there. well my install could not have gotten easier. no fan pulling, and a nice breaker bar and the bolt came right out i didnt even have to spray it wd40. hurray for easyness

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/kelesez/2009-11-11150921.jpg?t=1257972588

Archived