LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2 npiece catted D/P install.

I installed my perrin downpipe last night. I was planning on taking more pictures but, i encountered a snag during install, sorry.

Vehicle Information:

2008 legacy GT 5mt, 3000 miles.

Tools Used:

1) 12 and 14mm and 19mm wrench

2) screw driver

3) 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm sockets. 3 inch extension

4) electric cutting wheel.

5) Car ramps

6) step stool, I am only 5'5

7) Pliers.

8) Pry bar

The Uninstall:

I prelubed every exhaust bolt with WD40

I first started by removing the engine cover, very easy phillips head screw driver. Next I removed the intercooler, 14mm socket and pliers.

The next ste was removing the turbo heatshield, 10mm socket.

I pre-lubed every exhaust bolt with Wd40. before i proceded to the next step.

I then proceded to remove the downpipe bolts that connect to the turbo. 2 bolts and 3 nuts, 14mm socket and wrench. This is where i ran into a problem. I got 3 nuts off and 1 bolt but the other bolt would not come off. the bolt would loosen, but would get to a point where it would not trun. i tried everything, wd40, pry bar, wouldn't budge. So i got the cutting wheel out and icut it off on the nuts end. It was a pain in the A.

Next i removed the tranny bolt that connects to the downpipe, which is not used during install of the new perrin D/P.

I then crawled underneath the car removed the mid pipe where it connects to the CBE. 14mm bolt and 12mm nut. Next unscrewed the O2 sensor 19mm wrench. Next was the Midpipe bracket, 14mm bolt. Pryed for on the bracket and down came the entire D/P and midpipe in one piece.

Installing the New Perrin D/P:

I first but the two pieces of the pipes together with a new gaskets.

Next slide the pipe under the car and put it in place. I had my cousin put a couple bolts in where the pipe connects to the turbo. I then attchted the mid pipe brasket, and put the bolts that connect the midpipe to the CBE. At this point every thing is is only finger tight. Next i put all the bolts that connect the D/P to the turbo and tightned them up. Next i but the O2 sensor in and tightned the other bolts on the midpipe.

There were firment issues. The midpipe rumbed against the heatshield underneath the car. I lossened all the bolts and readjusted the midpipe bracket and it's a very close fit. I might have to do a custom braket if the rattle returns. So far its fine.

I then trimmed the heatshield with the cuttin whell. The cutting wheel is not 100% necessary for this part but it was quick and conveniet. I had to cut and test fit it a couple of times. After cutting i reinstalled the heat shieled with only 5 bolts, the rest were removed by cutting the heatshield.

I then reinstalled the Intercoller and engine cover , and closed the hood.

Final Steps:

Flashed stage 2 with the AP and went for a test drive. Noticed a bit of smoke after the test drive, but after driving for about 30 minutes, no more smoke.

Final commets:

The car is much smoother and power is very nice. I do notice that when the car is cold, it makes a funny noise, alomst like a exhaust rattle, this was due to the mid pipe rumbing agaisnt the heatshield underneatht the car.

Hope this helps anyone interested in the Perrin 2 piece catted D/P.

786637231_thbolt.jpg.8693b2d170cb6bb60e5c2a11cd0ca8b6.jpg

443598864_after2.jpg.3180d82e8856e4542136f84cee97b970.jpg

2110055313_preperation1.jpg.9ddb176f082ce6e32abdd3faecc5abfa.jpg

270642089_thegoods.jpg.f0125b2db43f737bbe2125877aaeb591.jpg

after.jpg.137b2675eb2e2d645eaed42bb52088a9.jpg

695605671_thesnow.jpg.3f2db696f208faeaeca881379ba29360.jpg

Cool! Thanks for the review. I just installed the rear section of the catted downpipe with mid & y-pipes. Everything went smooth but I installed it by myself so it took a while, the exhaust was all nice & shiney and I didn't want to drop it. I'll be doing the front section of downpipe along with the uppipe next. I wasn't sure about how the Perrin was going to fit so I held off on doing the whole exhaust. From your review it looks like everything fits together well. Good luck on getting that rattle fix.

Cool! Thanks for the review. I just installed the rear section of the catted downpipe with mid & y-pipes. Everything went smooth but I installed it by myself so it took a while, the exhaust was all nice & shiney and I didn't want to drop it. I'll be doing the front section of downpipe along with the uppipe next. I wasn't sure about how the Perrin was going to fit so I held off on doing the whole exhaust. From your review it looks like everything fits together well. Good luck on getting that rattle fix.

I got the rattle fixed. I just had to loosen all the bolts that connect to the mid pipe and readjust the midpipe bracket. No more rattle.

Good luck with the upipe and top section D/P. I have been told you dont need to remove the intercoller for the top section D/P but it makes it much easier.

• 1 month later...
I got the rattle fixed. I just had to loosen all the bolts that connect to the mid pipe and readjust the midpipe bracket. No more rattle. quote]

It's funny I had the same situation with the rattle.

I guess mine is facing alittle more up that I probably have to do something with the heatshield.

I don't know why Perrin made that DP to angle up.....

I have had to readjust the D/P twice now, and tweak the heatshield with a pry bar, it is such a close fit! So i wouldn't be suprised if it comes back. If it does come back i might have to make some sort of extension for the midpipe braket so it will allow it to mount a bit lower.

Good luck with getting yours to quit rattling.

It seems like it is just the heatshield issue but have been lazy and haven't check it out yet.

If it is I probably will just extend the hole of the heatshield and give more clearance on the top.

I don't know, I only drive 2 miles to work so haven't really had the time to check the rattle under a long drive....

Call me lazy......too much business trips...

Did you get the Center and Y pipe as well or you are using the Perrin Unit?

• 1 month later...
Question #1

Will the 08 DP fit my 05? I have a MT as well

Question #2

Do you have any interest in selling your DP, given that the first question is yes...

It will fit an 05 no problem. I am not currently interestied in selling my stock downpipe.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm having lots of trouble with the rear O2 sensor, any suggestions?

What kind of problems are you having? I used a big crescent wrench to remove it. I also twisted it up counterclockwise before I reinstalled it. By twisting it before installing it prevent the wire from being twisted once it is screwed in.

It wont come out. Penetrating oil hasnt helped, i tried a 19mm wrench that didnt work, bought an 02 socket, that isnt working. Its just starting to strip it. I dont have a torch so heats out. I need to drive this to work tomorrow, not enjoying myself.
05 LGT Wagon STI powered

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have a Perrin Single piece downpipe that I want to install but I only have the downpipe, no gaskets. Do you know which ones I will need? I know there is one from the turbo to the downpipe but is there also one from the downpipe to the cat section?
^ n00bs below this line

Since I have the one piece cat I think I will need this one for connecting the downpipe to the intermediate cat section: http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/the-589/Subaru-Downpipe-to-Inter./cart_id/1380230/Detail?sfs=b3a6f779

And I will need this one for the turbo to the downpipe: http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/the-283/Subaru-Turbo-to-Downpipe/cart_id/1380230/Detail?sfs=b9fda5f8

Can someone confirm that for me before I order them?

^ n00bs below this line

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95645

It was way easier to install than I could have imagined. It took an hour and a half by myself without any walkthrough or anythign, just eyeballing it and removing one bolt at a time. It was a worthwhile project and my car sounds even more awesome!

^ n00bs below this line

Archived