LegacyGT.com

performance questions for the 2.5i

now i know you guys will say just buy a lgt, but i dont want a whole lot of power... i have a couple questions about parts.

i like the sound of a subaru with an exhaust, but my problem seems to be that im only finding exhausts for the lgt. now am i able to use a catback exhaust for the lgt, or what should I be looking for?

Also, Im interested in a CAI. what application should i be looking for? or dont they have a specific CAI for just the 2.5i? again, im only finding parts for the lgt.

im not really doing this for much power gain, i just like modifying to modify. haha

thanks in advance for any help/advice!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im gonna help you out.

next time search though because topics like these piss people off.

best things for your 2.5i

-injen cai, its for the 2000-04 impreza rs, just search this forum for it. theres a big topic.

-lightweight crank pulley

-sway bars, rallitek has sets for the 2.5i but rear sways fit both gt and i

-for your exhaust i know some gt set ups fit the i but sound much louder on the i, you also wont get the boxer rumble since your car has equal length headers. you can either do a custom set up or buy a set of any mufflers that fit the lgt.

-ecu, i think theres maps out or coming out for the i

ive been doing things to the i for a little bit of time now, the intake is a nice, decently simple thing to do first. and youll love the sound.

have fun

you also wont get the boxer rumble since your car has equal length headers. you can either do a custom set up or buy a set of any mufflers that fit the lgt.

unequal lenght headers/ manifold will give the boxer rumble. the mufflers themselves dont do all that much for the rumble, they just pronounce it a little more.

headers

custom exhaust

intake

pulley

ecu tune

After that your pretty much done, and that goes with just about any car, unless you have boost, or wanna count the little nit picky things that barely give you any power. Im actually doing an NA build myself, just started today. Shooting for 250 crank horse power.

headers

custom exhaust

intake

pulley

ecu tune

After that your pretty much done, and that goes with just about any car, unless you have boost, or wanna count the little nit picky things that barely give you any power. Im actually doing an NA build myself, just started today. Shooting for 250 crank horse power.

cams, headwork, intake manifold p&p, there is actually quite a bit you can do to a na car but in the end is it really worth it, propably not when with the money you are tossing away youd basically be as a stock lgt as far as power numbers.

cams, headwork, intake manifold p&p, there is actually quite a bit you can do to a na car but in the end is it really worth it, propably not when with the money you are tossing away youd basically be as a stock lgt as far as power numbers.

I realize that, im doing all of that in my NA build but it doesnt look like hes trying to get too in depth with it.

headers

custom exhaust

intake

pulley

ecu tune

I think you are going to fall short.

The Subaru Legacy is not a popular car for modifications simply because they don't sell that many of them. To add to that, the fact that a turbo version exists, us NA folk get screwed over because any mods that do exist were only designed for the GT.

yeaahh... that sucks that were kinda left in the dust for any type of performance mod. oh well, looks like im gonna have to search alot harder to try and find things, or come up with something creative! thanks guys

well lets see. you can get sway bars. springs, struts, shifter, bushings, exhaust, pulley, intake, lat links, etc.... the list is endless as well. you can even do engine upgrades but it will cost a bunch. So dont listen to people that dont know what they arent talking about.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

well lets see. you can get sway bars. springs, struts, shifter, bushings, exhaust, pulley, intake, lat links, etc.... the list is endless as well. you can even do engine upgrades but it will cost a bunch. So dont listen to people that dont know what they arent talking about.

he's right....none of us know what we're talking bout. So lets get more detailed and give you the low down

Bolt on mods....

intake.........custom, or injen impreza.

pulley

TB spacer

TB....i believe there are some out there for NA subys

have TB ported

header

exhaust.......custom or bolt on cans

tune

tranny upgrades

valve body upgrade for auto tranny

short shifter for manual tranny

light weight flywheel for manual tranny

high performance clutch for manual.

Brakes...

there are a few things for brakes out there for the 2.5i. Few companies are making rotors now. You can get high performance pads and steel braided lines as well. GT big brake kits should work fine, as long as you keep in mind wheel clearance. The best bang for the buck would be to upgrade to GT brakes.

Internal work......

port and polish...(much more u can do to a head, but it gets expensive)

cams

high compression pistons

lightened rods and crank

deck the heads

Now theres some other little bits and pieces you can add in there but thats a good basic view of all you can do. But once you get into the internal work it gets VERY expensive REAL quick. And pretty much any internal work will require you to remove the engine. As for suspension just about anything for a GT will work except for front sway bars. If you have any questions feel free to post away.

the problem with you 2.5i guys is that you are modding in the wrong direction. Its silly to mod the s.5i for big power increases. Instead, one should try to improve the overall experiance of driving, not just accelleration. The 2.5i can take nearly all of the suspension/brake mods as a gt. With the proper setup, the 2.5i can be one hell of an autox car, and just handle amazingly well in general. Basic engine boltons can improve throttle response and widen the powerband alittle too. so for the right mods the can can be made very fun to drive even if its not as powerfull as the GT.

the problem with you 2.5i guys is that you are modding in the wrong direction. Its silly to mod the s.5i for big power increases. Instead, one should try to improve the overall experiance of driving, not just accelleration. The 2.5i can take nearly all of the suspension/brake mods as a gt. With the proper setup, the 2.5i can be one hell of an autox car, and just handle amazingly well in general. Basic engine boltons can improve throttle response and widen the powerband alittle too. so for the right mods the can can be made very fun to drive even if its not as powerfull as the GT.

very well said. Theres lots of the little mods you can do but your not gonna make big power on them. My first motor was completely stock! All i had was the intake silencer delete. I spent my money on suspension. Which turned it into a totally different car. Plus i knew dropping my money on headers, intakes, cams, etc, RIGHT away wouldnt have generated the fun factor that a well put together suspension does.

oh so your shooting for pure driving pleasure? Go with a set of sway bars first off. That should get started and put the bug in you. Then youll move on to springs, or better yet COILOVERS!!! I ran coils and cobb sways and all i wanted to do was drive the car!!!

alright.

so since i know how annoying it was searching for everything when i first came on to this site, and it seems like more and more i owners are coming to this forum.

i think we should get a sticky. this thread can be really helpful to new members, and even for older members looking for any new parts for the i. we already have mentioned many parts and im sure more are comin.

just decided to give my two cents...

thought about it today n im thinkin about bringin the suby to autox this spring after i get my sways and a few other mods. nice to see if anyone in north jersey has done anything with their 2.5i

alright.

so since i know how annoying it was searching for everything when i first came on to this site, and it seems like more and more i owners are coming to this forum.

i think we should get a sticky. this thread can be really helpful to new members, and even for older members looking for any new parts for the i. we already have mentioned many parts and im sure more are comin.

just decided to give my two cents...

thought about it today n im thinkin about bringin the suby to autox this spring after i get my sways and a few other mods. nice to see if anyone in north jersey has done anything with their 2.5i

Go to autox and you shall see :)

should i do both front and rear sway bars? or would just buying the JDM rear sway bar work? then go coilovers? from reading, it seems that having a solid center of balance is key, and from their i didnt try to comprehend any more information at the time! haha but thanks for the advice!

Archived