LegacyGT.com

performance Auto Vs Manual

Whatis the performance impact of having an automatic vs a manual GT Limited? Is there still decent mid range accelaeration, not only off the line? What about the various shifting modes and how they work on an automatic?

I am leaning towards a manual but having a much harder time finding one and wondering if i should hold out.

Thanks

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i test drove both a manual and an automatic - the differences were as you would expect.

my butt dyno told me that that the manual was faster (it sure as hell felt faster) - but the auto matic was a very, very smooth acceleration and will let you come pretty close to redline if you floor it.

I ended up going with the MT just because I've always liked manuals better and it felt a lot sportier and faster than the AT...its all a personal preference in the end though.

I do agree with Throttlejockey though - if you are leaning towards an MT you will be disappointed with the AT.

Whatis the performance impact of having an automatic vs a manual GT Limited? Is there still decent mid range accelaeration, not only off the line? What about the various shifting modes and how they work on an automatic?

I am leaning towards a manual but having a much harder time finding one and wondering if i should hold out.

Thanks

my 60-100 has been clocked at 7.7 per data log. reflash only.

no one will post a stock or reflash manual. NO ONE.

its just the gearing in the manual is more for acceleration than the auto.

well since the car is not traction limited like my camaro or sunbird .. manual tranny is a good choice for these cars. my auto broke at stage 1 . but i figure it was due to defective parts. i have since beaten on it more at stage 2 and it has not broken again. the auto has potential with a hight stall torq converter and a few other mods to being able to out launch a 5 mt and be relaiable. that is why i got an auto . also i like to do the oposit of everyone els.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I started with an 07 auto LGT, and traded it for a 08 specb within a week due to the auto. It was 0 fun for me driving an auto. So.. if you like to drive and want performance definitely stick with the manual. If you don't care so much, or do a lot of in traffic commuting, the auto may be a better choice.

my 60-100 has been clocked at 7.7 per data log. reflash only.

no one will post a stock or reflash manual. NO ONE.

its just the gearing in the manual is more for acceleration than the auto.

I'll add mph and absolute time to one of my logging profiles today and give it a run. This would be in an 08 spec b with open source tune, so not exactly what you're looking to see, but you've piqued my curiosity on the 60-100 time.

How many times have you made this run? is 7.7 the best or the average?

Performance is great with both.

The major difference is the automatic removes a significant portion of the driving experience IMHO. The turbo engine is a pleasure(for most) coupled to the manual transmission as you have complete control of the power.

I would hold out and at least try a manual transmission. Better yet see if a dealer has a new manual transmission to see the real difference.

It comes down to personal choice, I am beyond happy my wife purchased a 5mt LGT wagon never trying the tranny after test driving an automatic LGT and loving that.

Automatics generally have a higher gear ratio, which impacts the performance. This is to compensate for the fact that they have more transmission loss than a manual gearbox, but modern automatics are a lot better than the automatics found up until about the late 80's where the fuel consumption was horrible compared to the manual cars.
453747.png

The manual is crazy fun, yo, especially with a short throw. Statistically manual drivers have more girth and length than auto drivers. What's in your pants?

:lol:

I learned to drive in England, where you learn manual or else you get a restricted license.

I've only ever ONCE made the mistake of buying an auto. NEVER AGAIN.

Hate driving autos. I hate waiting for the transmission to figure out what gear it is supposed to be in when you floor it. I hate knowing that something close to 10% of my engine power is going to keep clutch packs clenched tighter than a man's asscheeks on his first night in state prison...

_raj nailed it ..... MT gives you more control over the power. Hey rtbrjason, I see you're in Rochester too .. whereabouts ??? I would love to trade up to a spec b ... maybe next year ....

I'll add mph and absolute time to one of my logging profiles today and give it a run. This would be in an 08 spec b with open source tune, so not exactly what you're looking to see, but you've piqued my curiosity on the 60-100 time.

How many times have you made this run? is 7.7 the best or the average?

the car pulling something crazy (my logs are on the rallitek forum) and wasn't smooth at all netted me ~8.1 60-100. i cleared the ecu and loaded my "slower" map and got a 8.1 right off. no learning and 100% fresh ecu. next run got me ~7.9. loaded my regular map and ran a ~7.7. it was around 55* that night.

all runs on 3/4 tank with passenger. all on the exact same patch of empty road. 525 souf leaving mukilteo. thats right with passanger and more than enough fuel. this was no 1 off miracle with car stripped out kinda run. i pulled the air filter and it was half black and fairly dirty with a leaf in it. in other words i had less than perfect conditions.

i believe the 7.7 can be easily repeatable.

_raj nailed it ..... MT gives you more control over the power. Hey rtbrjason, I see you're in Rochester too .. whereabouts ??? I would love to trade up to a spec b ... maybe next year ....

depends. if you toss the buttons around like a manual does shifting the control is the exact same. there is built in "lag" when pressing the buttons though. ex...can;t go to manual into 4th then click the button 2 times in less than a sec and be in 2nd gear immediately. but in D mode can go from cruising in fif then punch it and the car will shift to 3rd in a snap and will take off.

also...the auto can easily be controlled by gas pedal. roll off the line slow let it shift to 2nd then get on it some will net a decent 2nd gear pull. the car will earn this behavior as well and will do this about every single time. same goes for all gears. want to stay more in 1st gear? hold the gas down. doesn't have to be 100% throttle.

with stage 1 the car will hold 5th while going through interstate hills etc. stock the tq isn't quite there so it will shift to 4th.

what i have noticed is the air filter has a fairly direct correlation with shifting. if its clogged it will shift to the next lowest gear for acceleration. cleaned it will torque out the gear.

in short...you can control the gears even in D mode with the throttle. just have to know how to do it. shift points per rpm and throttle app.

depends. if you toss the buttons around like a manual does shifting the control is the exact same. there is built in "lag" when pressing the buttons though. ex...can;t go to manual into 4th then click the button 2 times in less than a sec and be in 2nd gear immediately. but in D mode can go from cruising in fif then punch it and the car will shift to 3rd in a snap and will take off.

also...the auto can easily be controlled by gas pedal. roll off the line slow let it shift to 2nd then get on it some will net a decent 2nd gear pull. the car will earn this behavior as well and will do this about every single time. same goes for all gears. want to stay more in 1st gear? hold the gas down. doesn't have to be 100% throttle.

with stage 1 the car will hold 5th while going through interstate hills etc. stock the tq isn't quite there so it will shift to 4th.

what i have noticed is the air filter has a fairly direct correlation with shifting. if its clogged it will shift to the next lowest gear for acceleration. cleaned it will torque out the gear.

in short...you can control the gears even in D mode with the throttle. just have to know how to do it. shift points per rpm and throttle app.

Controlling the power isn't so much about manually shifting the gears, it's about having a clutch.

I'm in the Penfield area. How about yourself?

Controlling the power isn't so much about manually shifting the gears, it's about having a clutch.

controlling the power is throttle modulation.

controlling the gear selection is with the clutch.

just imagine for a second...the car shifting for you where you want it without hitting the 3rd pedal.

dont get me wrong. its not perfect 1005 of the time. then again nor is the manual. you all mis shift as well.

Brighton / Penfield area ... right near Ellison Park. I may have seen you cruising around ....

Cool I was through there this morning dropping a friends kid off at school.

I used to live on Ellison hills drive, but now I'm in the 441/250 area.

What are you cruising around in? I've seen a few lgts around here..

Archived