LegacyGT.com

P&L Tuned 2008 Spec.B

Rogue77

I just recently went into P&L Motorsports in Franklin Park, IL and came out a happy B owner. I have my ride at Stage 2, magnaflow catback exhaust and an Invidia downpipe with an SPT intake.

I came in with my B running Cobb's Stage 2, 93 octane map flashed myself with my AccessPORT purchased from them. It was running this update:

Stage 2 93 SBv103 (located here):

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/subaru/new/08LGTMaps.html

I am not sure if my intake skewed their map for my Spec.B but it was running a Fuel/Air ratio that could have done damage at some point. But it hadn't yet. This is the chart from a couple runs on the dyno which you can see I was running a little lean.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-8hONLK7puw/SdGZZg3KSaI/AAAAAAAABuE/Md8ugeBCgsg/s800/DSC00135.JPG

Jorge had the car up for about an hour and a half fine tuning and he did a spectacular job. Given that my air/fuel ratio was a little off to begin with I lost a few horses, which I am not sad about because what I gained from his tune was far greater.

First off even with a very slight decrease in WHP I still gained more torque than I came in with. The throttle response when the peddle is leaned on is by far my favorite differnce. When you want it to go right now it certainly goes right NOW.

The most important thing to me though, since this is my daily driver and all is that I have a professionally tunned modded daily driver that is using the modifications that I have made while at the same time keeping the car from blowing up :)

In any of the 3 modes the car handles exactly as I have wanted it to. It has always been a pleasure to drive my Legacy but now, with this shinny new jacket it makes me drive with a smile no matter the conditions outside.

Here are my results from Jorge's tune:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-8hONLK7puw/SdGZ37x2v-I/AAAAAAAABuo/aGWs8msGcUI/s800/DSC00139.JPG

P & L staff have always been helpful and do quality work so I highly recommend anyone in the area, even if its a trip to come to their shop for time on their in house dyno and tuner.

Oh and here is a little video of 3rd gear redline on the dyno for ya, love that sound!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3gN9rHwb0c&feature=channel_page]YouTube - 2008 Spec.B on the Dyno[/ame]

Results of the protune:

262.94 whp and 313.41 torque.

-Rogue77`

I'm just here for the mods.

Rogue was nice enough to let me take her for a spin after the tune :wub: and the power is MUCH smoother and pulls MUCH harder all the way to redline. I can only guess that Cobb had a lack of SpecB beta testers as to why the map was off a bit. I really feel sorry for the next Acura or BMW he runs into. :p

Ooo very simmular #s comared to my stg 2 tuned by Jorge. But my mods are by different brands compared to yours. (AVO intake, X02 DP, and Megan Exhaust for me)

BTW, when you go down the highway, in 5th or 6th I guess for spec B, and go WOT from around 3k and up do you hear a fluttering sound?

I'll bet that torque feels good. Did you happen to know what the AF was without the intake or no?

I guess it could also be from the catless downpipe since Cobb recently went "green" and no longer sells/tunes for catless downpipes. Point being it could be due to the intake, downpipe, bad tank of gas, lack of SpecB beta testers, what one tuner (Cobb, Perrin, Protune,etc) considers lean/rich, etc. Who knows....all I know is protune FTW!

Nice #'s Rogue...

<- Mods:AVO drop-in filter, Perrin TMIC, and gutted w/ stock Y and cans

This was w/ an UP leak resulting in the kinda low torque and lag . UP fixed and data logged to prevent psi spike.

I want to take it to P & L and dyno again

W/ a true CAI and exhaust I believe they could raise the numbers even more

336646166_Legacyawhp001.thumb.jpg.96e22d3a07518b933b3b2442a8f9ac00.jpg

Nice! Jorge tuned my car last November and I got similar numbers too:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dametzg/protunedyno.jpg

(AVO Panel Filter, Perrin TMIC, Perrin Catted DP, Megan Catback)

All that torque surprised me at first, but now it always brings a smile to my face. Enjoy your new tune!

Maybe the TMIC made up for it? Or it might just be the different gearing between my 5-speed and your 6-speed.

I have a 5MT too, i guess maybe the TMIC and the 20* cooler temp during the dyno maybe :confused:

D'oh! I guess I can't read. I was just assuming you had a Spec.B like the OP. Hmmm our torque curves are interesting. Mine is pretty much at the max between 2500 to 3000rpm while yours is still building up.

BTW do you get a fluttering sound when you do a pull in 5th gear on highway say from 60mph to 80mph WOT

Hey guys, thanks for the comments and posts. I am loving this tune for sure!

Did you happen to know what the AF was without the intake or no?

No, this was my first time on the dyno and I was just working with maps from Cobb for their accessPORT so I don't know any numbers prior to this tune. Time on the dyno gets pretty expensive so personally I can't spend much time on it :):(

BTW, when you go down the highway, in 5th or 6th I guess for spec B, and go WOT from around 3k and up do you hear a fluttering sound?

Not sure what kind of sound you are talking about but in 5th/6th for me nothing sounds amiss. I did have a squeaking sound at one point but that was just because my intake pipe and the intake heat shield were rubbing, which has been adjusted. Little sounds and rattles like that drive me crazy so I MUST find them and fix them.

-Rogue77`

I'm just here for the mods.

Well next time theres a meet and you guys are there, you guys can listen to my fluttering sound to see if you have it too. I was told it was just the wastegate opening and closing faster w/ the tune.

Well, guys I have to say the consistency and the numbers are quite convincing for Jorge up at P&L. I have emailed and am thinking I just need to work out the time and $$$ to get up there.

Very nice numbers...everyone!

BTW do you get a fluttering sound when you do a pull in 5th gear on highway say from 60mph to 80mph WOT

Not that I've really noticed. I do get some type of fluttering sound sometimes at constant throttle right around 70mph though. I'll try try and pay attention to it next time I'm on the highway to see if I can replicate what you're talking about.

Archived