LegacyGT.com

P&L Performance Tuning Chicago

I have been searching for turbos and tunes for quite some time and every time I come across a post with someone from the Midwest (like myself) asking about P&L or saying they are getting tuned there, almost immediately members say 'use caution' or better to use Infamous1.

I am by no means a pro 'this guy or that guy' because I am still very new to the process and know no one. However, with P&L being so close and A LOT of posted dyno sheets coming from P&L I am curious what are the concerns (bad tunes, poor service, limited knowledge, etc) members have? :confused: They are safe to dyno with buy not tune?

For those members who suggested to steer clear of P&L (which is fine) where should I go in the Midwest for a good road & dyno tune for my LGT. Again I would need to speak with someone about the needed parts for my end goals, etc. Not sure I would be happy not conducting that conversation face to face.

Thanks,

Charles

They used to have a great reputation, but that has changed somewhat over the last year or so. IIRC their tuner left recently so I am not sure what they are up to now. Several forum members have had work done there.

Running a car on the dyno and doing a tune are 2 different things. Some skill is required to use the dyno, but it is very general and I have yet to see a shop that can't work their dyno - although I am sure they are out there.

I would use an Infamous1 mail order tune or figure out how to do it yourself - it is not that difficult.

Had my car tuned there 3yrs ago. Overall experience I would say is 3/5 stars.

My car spent a lot of time on the dyno because of a leak that couldnt be found. Thanks to rao for helping me locally a few days later in finding the leak at the TMIC+TB hose. Got the car back to P&L for dyno.

So far ~35k miles on the tune with no problem, couple months after the tune I got a wideband and few friends think I might be running a bit lean @ WOT (12.3-12.5AFR). Went back to the tuner and he suggested to log the car with the accessport and bring in the logs for him to see. IIRC logs showed ~11.7AFR and everything seemed normal according to him. Was suggested to recalibrate my wideband and try switching to diff brand of gas. not exactly the answer I was expecting, since I recalibrated the wideband already a few times thinking something was wrong.

But so far the car's been running fine and I hope for a long time because my Accessport was stolen so I cant really reflash.

Im not really sure who to go to if their orig tuner left. Havent heard very good things about subaru shops in the area.

Had my car tuned there 3yrs ago. Overall experience I would say is 3/5 stars.

My car spent a lot of time on the dyno because of a leak that couldnt be found. Thanks to rao for helping me locally a few days later in finding the leak at the TMIC+TB hose. Got the car back to P&L for dyno.

So far ~35k miles on the tune with no problem, couple months after the tune I got a wideband and few friends think I might be running a bit lean @ WOT (12.3-12.5AFR). Went back to the tuner and he suggested to log the car with the accessport and bring in the logs for him to see. IIRC logs showed ~11.7AFR and everything seemed normal according to him. Was suggested to recalibrate my wideband and try switching to diff brand of gas. not exactly the answer I was expecting, since I recalibrated the wideband already a few times thinking something was wrong.

But so far the car's been running fine and I hope for a long time because my Accessport was stolen so I cant really reflash.

Im not really sure who to go to if their orig tuner left. Havent heard very good things about subaru shops in the area.

11 is fine at WOT.

I've been working with Andy through 6 Star Motorsports in Shaumburg. and have only had a great experience. You tell him what you want to do and he tunes accordingly. Before my new turbo blew, my car was running very strong. He takes his time with his tunes to make sure everything is smooth.

PM me if you want his number just to talk to him and see if he sounds like the guy you are looking for. He also tunes using OpenSource, so no need to buy an AccessPort.

Another option for a reputable tuner if you're willing to travel into Indiana is a guy named Scott. He's tuned a number of the indianaimpreza forum guys and a few of the guys local to me. They've all had good experiences. If you're on NASIOC too, I believe his sn is thefoos.
It's cool; I'm with the band

I'm not sure about tuning. But Make sure you ask all questions. They had told me "Oh yea your car will be done in about 2-3weeks. I dropped my car off on the 20th of last month. They just got my heads in this monday. Hoping to see my car by this weekend but I am not getting my hopes up. As far as communication everything is great.

I'm sorry, I meant AMS. My head was in the gutter there. AMS in west Chicago.

I'll attest to them as well. All though not sure about Scoobie tuning. My buddy had his EVO X tuned there and I will say they did a nice job.

Great information. I am surprised for such a large city that we only have a few tuners that are 'safe'

Does anyone know off-hand if AMS can tune the SI-Drive? I really like the idea of having 3 different maps for the three settings. I heard Surgeline Tuning and maybe Infamous can do something, but they are all long distance. If you are confused by my explanation of my tuning goals, P&L has something that works for the SI-Drive but I am growing more hesitant about using them...

http://www.pandlmotorsports.com/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=510

I spoke to AMS two weeks ago about a tune. I'm interested in getting a tune for both premium and E85- the guy I spoke with at AMS estimated the best way to do that was to book it by the hour (250$/hr) and figured it would take about three hours. In the meantime I emailed PDX and gave them all the info on the mods I had and within a day had maps that work very well. Additionally I'm doing data logs to send back to PDX for tweaks. The PDX cost was 200$ even.

Andy tuned my SI drive with three different "settings." S# is a nice kick in the chest, S is great for everyday driving around, and I feels like what S felt stock.

I know AMS does more Mitsubishis, but not sure on Subarus. I'd rather have someone familiar with Subarus tune for me.

After talking to P&L motorsports today about getting my car back. I will say I will never ever go to them ever again!! For the time it has taken them to replace my engine I could have done it myself!!!! It's been well over a month now!

Andy tuned my SI drive with three different "settings." S# is a nice kick in the chest, S is great for everyday driving around, and I feels like what S felt stock.

I know AMS does more Mitsubishis, but not sure on Subarus. I'd rather have someone familiar with Subarus tune for me.

I have had Andy tune my car twice as well. Upstanding guy, no BS. I have been very happy with his tune. He did he same thing as Strizzy wth SI drive.

Great guy but come spring/summer, he gets really busy with Tuning. Good Luck

I have had Andy tune my car twice as well. Upstanding guy, no BS. I have been very happy with his tune. He did he same thing as Strizzy wth SI drive.

Great guy but come spring/summer, he gets really busy with Tuning. Good Luck

Is Andy with AEM?

As for Jorge I don't know...I have tried to find any posts by him on NASIOC recently and nothing has come up. Not sure what happened, but I cannot say for certain.

Is Andy with AEM?

As for Jorge I don't know...I have tried to find any posts by him on NASIOC recently and nothing has come up. Not sure what happened, but I cannot say for certain.

Andy works with 6 Star Motorsport in Schaumburg (formerly known as DS1 Motorsports).

Is Andy with AEM?

Six Star Motorsports in Schaumburg, off the Elgin-O'hare Expressway.

His name on NASIOC is elevenpoint7five.

Another option for a reputable tuner if you're willing to travel into Indiana is a guy named Scott. He's tuned a number of the indianaimpreza forum guys and a few of the guys local to me. They've all had good experiences. If you're on NASIOC too, I believe his sn is thefoos.

Where in Indiana is he located? I've used infamous1 several times now, but for some reason he's not replying to my emails. I've wanted to get my car tuned for E85 for a few weeks now.

Archived