LegacyGT.com

Owning "THAT car"

Come on, share with us that story, when you first saw the car you wanted to own. When you saw it and said "wow" "that car, i want it"

Mine must have been round 2001 ish. I was still in high school, the BH (Gen 3) GTB was in full swing production, the bug eye had just made an appearance and caused a fuss with all the GC fan boys (little did we know the STi's would age so well) and I was just getting into subies. I didn't own a car yet, my dad owned a 94 BG (Gen 2) liberty, it was FWD, but it was still a fairly new chassis shape and the kids at school ooo'd and aaah'd when I got to drive it to school (Really, the only cooler car was an entry level 80's 3 series).

One day a work mate of my dad's came over to our house, and I peeked out the window to see a very shiny, silver, 98 BG GTB had parked outside. I had never seen one up close before, and eagerly went to go have a look see. As I walked round, I started noticing things like the evil projector headlights, and the kouki bumper. I knew they looked meaner, but I was only just seeing exactly what it was. It really was such a mean looking car, "Twin turbo", GTB (semi :p) bucket seats and momo wheel. It was just "WOW!" I remember thinking to myself "One day... One day i will own that car!".

Well I got New GTB :: NewGTB4.jpg picture by Pilot_Reuben - Photobucket over a year ago now.. Got my first job round 19 years old (yeah I know, late to the game :p 21 now), and first thing I did was save up $8000 and went out to buy a 98 GTB. And wow, it's just so nice owning that dream car. And yes, it really was my dream car, I dreamed of owning one, and I knew I would in the distant future.

Come on, share your stories. I'm sure there's a few involving when the gen 4's arrived in America :D

think mine was seeing the 83' VW GTI. mine was black with a maroon interior. put exhaust, 16v wheels from and 87 on it and had dreams of doing a engine swap for a 16v. but it never happened:redface:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I was in high school and read about the new 99.5 GTI VR6 that just got released, went down to the dealership and saw one in red with black leather, beautiful car. I somehow convinced the salesman to let me take it for a test drive, he tossed me the keys and told me to bring it back when I was done. Long story short, an hour later after giving some friends a joyride I was deeply in love with this car.

Fast forward to Jan of 2002, my Dodge Dynasty finally gave up the ghost and it was time for a new car. I of course went back to the VW dealership and low and behold there was a red GTI VR6 sitting on the showroom floor as a leftover 2001 model. It was almost identical to the one I test drove years earlier, and it was now a bargain. I didn't even think twice, that was it for me!

Of course, I'm obliged to post a pic (car was sold for an engagement ring and has since been totaled, both days were probably the sadest days of my life.)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/2594674803_9e4d1bccb5_b.jpg

I LOVED that car....

I was in high school and feel in love with the MKV when it made it's debut. I was about to take delivery on a Cooper S and then went to look at the GTI. Few weeks later I was the proud owner of a Black Magic Pearl GTI! I loved my GTI. I miss it every day. There's something about the Subaru that just doesn't bring me the same smile. Maybe because the Leggy is still stock.

I want a blue 2.5RS coupe with a turbo swap... Someday :)

For now I'm pretty happy with my 96 legacy, I saw it at the used car lot, and it was the perfect car for me. Cheap, old, but low mileage, great condition, and since it is older good insurance rate. (I'm 18)

Maybe a lame story, but....

Lots of exotics and sports cars that I "dreamed" of, and always wanted to race/track a car (always been a speed junkie), but honestly, it was when I was looking for a wagon but wanted something sporty (I had a Honda Accord wagon). Looked at the Subarus somewhere around late 2003, and told the dealer "I just wish they'd come out with a more performance oriented version". That's when he said "just wait until 2005". The rest is history.

I was in high school and feel in love with the MKV when it made it's debut. I was about to take delivery on a Cooper S and then went to look at the GTI. Few weeks later I was the proud owner of a Black Magic Pearl GTI! I loved my GTI. I miss it every day. There's something about the Subaru that just doesn't bring me the same smile. Maybe because the Leggy is still stock.

I felt that way about the car that replaced my GTI (Cobalt SS Supercharged). Although the Cobalt was faster in every aspect, it could never take the place of the GTI. I now love my LGT Wagon, as much if not more than the GTI. I think it's a whole rebound thing, kind of like that one night stand after a serious girlfriend where you can then say "Now I can love again". Corny, I know, but it's true.

I first saw one in 1998 when my uncle bought a black SS and did donuts in fount of my parents house, i came running to the window as the smoke cleared to reveal a black beast. After numerous fast cars i finally got one when i was 19. 2000 Red Trans Am, 6 speed 38kmiles for 11grand.

The 05GT wagon is the dream car, sad isn't it...

It's the 3rd Legacy GT Wagon I've owned. I was waiting for them to build this car, turbo and cool 5 spoke wheels.

I'm 54y/o now BTW.

If Honda built a car like this, I buy it in a heart beat.

The other cool car 99, 2.5RS. Son's GF has one in black. He found it for her a few years back. He's 22y/o.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

think mine was seeing the 83' VW GTI. mine was black with a maroon interior. put exhaust, 16v wheels from and 87 on it and had dreams of doing a engine swap for a 16v. but it never happened:redface:

Not be a dick but i never understood the appeal of vw vehicles. They are slow, dont have great looks, cant make a lot of power with big turbo upgrades and primarily are FWD. Often VW owners spend a huge portion of their cash on aesthetics. What am i missing?

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

opinions are like a@#holes. everyones got one my friend. I think the older GTI's, MKIII, MKIV look pretty sweet.

Not be a dick but i never understood the appeal of vw vehicles. They are slow, dont have great looks, cant make a lot of power with big turbo upgrades and primarily are FWD. Often VW owners spend a huge portion of their cash on aesthetics. What am i missing?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

+1000 lol, this is what soo many people dream of?

VW-Golf-GTI-Mk-III.jpg.83971127c6903e342039ba4a415ec81d.jpg

Always has been the Evo... So I got one as soon as they came through in 2003. And.. just sold it in Jan. Had to become a family man, tired of the police hassling me for absolutely stupid things. Heck, one wanted to ticket me so bad for the spoiler, insisting it wasn't legal, even though I was prepared (from previous hassling) Brought out the sales brochure and window tag. He still thought I was making it up.

Grrr...

Sad to see it go, but when I have time/space in the future, I know I will buy one again without a doubt.

:rolleyes: common now, lets not bash the VW guys. first of all, why would you post a stock gti? and how many times has a legacy sedan been mistaken for a Camry?

this Thread is about Owning that car, not slamming VW fans.

+1000 lol, this is what soo many people dream of?

I'm really not going to get into this for the sheer sake of keeping this thread alive but basically everything you said there is opinonated. Yes some models are extremely slow such as my 04 golf but it was fun as hell to drive but with any car company such as the 2.5i for the legacys. Looks is to each his own, they can make decent power considering the size of there engine and I have seen a few turboed r32's that are crazy fast and gti's with BT's that put out some impressive numbers as well. And yes most of them are fwd so you stand correct at that fact. There is no pun intended in this but just correctly informing you:), the only thing that is a down side is that parts are more costly but then again what compares to german engineering. I think that the vw makes you feel like your part of a seperate family as the community is awsome and without experienceing it I don't think you should judge.

Yes like a few vw owners above me said theres just not that smile that I use to have with my vdub but i am still stock:rolleyes:. Hopefully I will go BT one day or I will goto a r32. Only time will tell gentlemen

I was actually working as a tech for ford back in 05 still.... We had a wrb (yeah go figure:lol:) 04 wrx come in with moderate front end damage. My task was to check out the pass side head, do new cam gears and timing belt and whatnot. I did the job, and off to the body shop the car went to get finished up. When it came out of the body shop I remember going to look at it and said "I'm gonna buy one of those someday....". Two weeks later a saleman came up to me to ask me a few questions about a vehicle I worked on to see if I knew anything about it. They were taking the wrx in trade that day! :wub: I drove it home the next night.... 04 wrb wrx with 20k on the clock and got it at an employee price for 15,000 lol!

I still remember the night I was sitting at that traffic light, and saw two mint early 90's Nissan 300zx twin turbos getting ready to race eachother.. Straight road for a mile down a valley and back up, saw the whole thing and was :eek:..

http://image.turbomagazine.com/f/8850652/0204tur_01z+1993_nissan_300zx_twin_turbo+left_front_view.jpg

Also, I loved the Ford F150 Lightning like no other the first time I saw/heard one..

http://nrvweb.com/lightning/images/P8280254-640.jpg

:rolleyes: common now, lets not bash the VW guys. first of all, why would you post a stock gti? and how many times has a legacy sedan been mistaken for a Camry?

this Thread is about Owning that car, not slamming VW fans.

I wasnt trying to bash anyone, was just pondering out loud

My first "THAT" car was a Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. I knew next to nothing about it, and still don't. I just saw it and had to have it. I just loved how large and aggressive it looked. http://www.worldclassicautos.com/pcfiles/images7/1996pontiacfirebird.jpg

I even liked it in white. After that for a while I wanted an Eclipse, then a 300ZX TT.

The 1982 Toyota Supra, the model with the "SUPRA" decal all the way across the liftgate. Saved every penny I could from 82 to 85. I ended up finding an 05' with the 5MGE-MT (HO version) off a local bodyshop that was a recoverd theft he rebuilt. It had 1525 miles!!!! That car had the best interior and seats of any car I ever saw. Never bought it because I was 19 years old and the insurance was $3900.00 a year:mad:.

1985-supra-a.jpg.1e73343bfcc0048603481ec3717f7b39.jpg

My first "THAT" car was a Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. I knew next to nothing about it, and still don't. I just saw it and had to have it. I just loved how large and aggressive it looked. http://www.worldclassicautos.com/pcfiles/images7/1996pontiacfirebird.jpg

I even liked it in white. After that for a while I wanted an Eclipse, then a 300ZX TT.

I digress, the FIRST HAVE TO OWN was a 1978 Pontiac Trans AM, right after I saw Smokey and the Bandit when I was a little kid. Never got the Trans AM but when the Supra fell through I found a beautiful 1974 Formula Firebird, with the shaker hood scoop.(Formulas had the twin GTO type scoops standard) I bought that and found out later in life how rare the shaker hood was for the Formula. Wish I still had it.

I might be picking up a 95 white formula just like yours soon. For my next project car. I had a red 96 formula and then a 2000 Red T/A. No matter what cars i get i keep coming back to the pushrod v8s for cheap fun.

This is gonna sound stupid but whatever. I got out of class one day and was walking through New Brunswick heading back towards College Ave (Rutgers) and what passes me while I'm waiting for a light to change? A OBP '05 LGT. I stood there and just stared at it drive by. Now what do I drive? A SWP '05 LGT, not exactly the same but close. :p

Either that or one of the million times I saw a E46 M3 drive by in the ocean blue/teal or even the golden yellow color drive by. But who cares :p

My first one was a 1995 Toyota MR2 turbo, mid engine, rear wheel drive, in red. I would still love to pick one up.

Since then, I have owned several cars, mostly performance orientated, ranging from big v8's to small 4 cyl. With each car, there was always things I liked and things that I didn't, whether it was due to my likes or needs(i.e. Kids).

Well, I have now owned my LGT for 4 years and have no intentionof selling it anytime soon. It has a little bit of every car I have ever owned in it and I look forward to every morning, knowing that I get to drive it to work.

Kyle

Archived