LegacyGT.com

Outback XT died.. any suggestions?

I was headed back in town the other night and screwing around with the blow off valve and wastegate, floating back and forth. I was running around 4000rpm, about 40 miles an hour. I punched it and the car took off for a second and then died. I was low on gas, so i figured the inevitable "out of gas" situation happened, but that wasn't it. Didn't have a CEL on, but a code reader pulled P0030. I got a Subaru OEM O2 sensor and $160 later, that didn't do it. I put new Denso Iridium plugs in this afternoon gapped to .040, and still no dice. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm lost, and my boosted buddies are out of ideas. It's an 05 with just over 100,000 miles. Only mods are an SPT intake and an XO2 front mount. No tuner.

Right after car died, it would idle, but any throttle at all, it would bog down and eventually die. After the plugs were changed, it resulted in the same, but now it won't even start.

HELP. Thanks

photo.jpg.02a9a0d603e301f653615baa5047bc30.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the fuel pump kicks on, no it is not tuned, and about the BOV, I'm not sure. When it did idle, i couldnt hear any air leaks and i didn't feel any air coming out from around it, so i would say no. It's not the stock BOV, it's a Synapse.

It ran fine with the cold air and front mount for about 3 weeks until this happened.

It ran fine with the cold air and front mount for about 3 weeks until this happened.

that's how long it took for you to blow something cause it's not tuned.

Plugs should be more like .025. Stock is .030

take it to a shop that has the ability to tune it

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

sounds like a vacuum or timing issue.. You need three things. spark fuel and compression(air). If you have low fuel and too much air -no run or poor running. same with any other paired combo. You need all three to be correct, thus a tune.

I agree with trying to return to stock. BUT you might wanna look over everything, an over boost can blow a vacuum line quick

My one friend build race motors and he suggested maybe I jumped timing. Haven't checked it yet, don't have a timing light. I will re-check my vacuum lines and re-gap my plugs. Google was wrong on that one. Told me .040.

Thanks for the help guys.

More thoughts?

sounds like a vacuum or timing issue... you might wanna look over everything, an over boost can blow a vacuum line quick

+1: your setup, activity @ failure, and symptoms all suggest to me that you popped a tube/hose somewhere in the chain -- slamming the throttle plate shut (aka bov/wg opera) will find you that weakest link every time, especially with a fmic; with the leak, it will idle (like shit), but will bog & stall with throttle. the lack of code is the only part that makes me a bit iffy though...

i would check the throttle body, intake and all the silicone fmic joints first, and clamp 'em up tight, then i'd move on to the smaller/harder to reach hoses on/around the intake manifold and their respective terminals.

i imagine the plugs are probably to blame for the later starting issue.

good luck.

Sounds like the car can't account for the extra air from opening the throttle.

Is this a MAP or MAF system? If it's a MAP then check the vaccum lines (if the volume of air is determined by vacuum level then a vacuum problem may result in an incorrect A/F mix that causes the engine to lean out/stall when you hit the throttle.

Did you recheck the codes? I've heard that a bad MAF can cause a car to idle rough and not get over 2krpm - but not necessarily die.

Can your scan tool check live data values? Watch the TPS% to make sure the values are smooth and linear.

Check all electrical and vacuum connections.

Sounds like it's starved for air or fuel and the ratio is out of whack.

Are you still flowing air through that intercooler? Did you stuff a rag into some pipe to keep debris out, then leave the rag in there?

Back to basics. Fuel, air, spark.

Maybe disconnect the battery and let the computer reset?

coil on plugright?

Should net the same result

It's extremely rare for these coilpacks to go bad

If the OP didn't know he needed a tune for the fairly extensive mods he made to his car.... he obviously did not do his homework and is in over his head. You can't troubleshoot very easily over the interwebs, especially when the OP can't even figure out where to start looking.

OP: Unplug the MAF. Start car. If it idles, you have a major boost/vacuum leak. If it doesn't idle, you most likely borked your motor.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived