LegacyGT.com

Outback XT Calipers

Limeydriver

I know the Outback XT has slightly smaller front rotors than the GT. It also has a different part number for the brake pads. Does anyone know if the Outback is using the same front caliper as the Legacy GT or does it have a unique front caliper or is it the same as the WRX.

That is my problem too. I have ordered a set of Outback and Legacy pads to see how different they are. Seeing that the dealer has no clue. From what I am learning it would appear that the Outback XT has a new 2pot front brake caliper that is not currently used on any other suby. The Legacy GT has a 316x30mm Vented Disc, 2-Piston Floating Calipers. I really need to eyeball a GT and Outback to make a final determination.

This is off-topic, but can anyone explain why they would use different brakes on the OB? The cars are so similar, why did they give the OB smaller brakes, it doesn't make sense. I can't imagine the supension differences would necessitate it in any way. The cost savings would have to be minimal, and the OB costs more anyway.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Yeah, I'd like to know that too! We've got the same power, but we're heavier and have bigger tires. SO why don't we get the more powerful brakes?

Probably because they don't expect OBXT drivers to drive like maniacs. Well. they're wrong :D

Egg-Zactly!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, I'd like to know that too! We've got the same power, but we're heavier and have bigger tires. SO why don't we get the more powerful brakes?

Probably because they don't expect OBXT drivers to drive like maniacs. Well. they're wrong :D

Smart ass newbie remark:

Cuz you have smaller rims!

I wonder if the calipers and rotors are direct bolt ons so we can upgrade to the Legacy rotors front and rear...as well as the calipers, then upgrade the rotors and pads from there. I would love to have vented rear rotors.

for me and my spirited driving needs, that simple upgrade in size and vented rears would be enough with cadmium plated, drilled and slotted rotors and some type of ceramic pad...preferably PBR's...had great experience with those on many cars....best all around pad I have tried thus far.

According to the Subaru USDM repair manual the GT and Outback both have the same brakes. 261mm effective disc diameter, 42.8 x 2 cylinder diameter, 30mmx316mm outer diameter disc with 130mmx53.5mmx11mm pad dimensions. So I am going to pull the pads off today and measure them to see if the manual is wrong or right.

The VIN number shows the vehicle grade as an 8 which is the Outback GT, but the model number code shows the grade as A which is not listed. So who knows.

OK,

Crawled under the Outback XT today.

Disc size 24mmx294mm. So they could be 291mm but that is not how they measured. Pad dimensions 117.8mm x 50.5mm x 11.0mm

These in the service manual are the brake specs for the 2.5i and 3.0R.

Caliper has 4E11 stamped on the side. Dual piston.

Looks like Goodrich front SS lines will fit. (They might be a couple of mm shorter but nothing to worry about). Rear Caliper line fits, inner too short. So the GT lines don't completely fit the Outback.

What are the WRX pad and disc specs?

This is off-topic, but can anyone explain why they would use different brakes on the OB? The cars are so similar, why did they give the OB smaller brakes, it doesn't make sense. I can't imagine the supension differences would necessitate it in any way. The cost savings would have to be minimal, and the OB costs more anyway.

I think the reasoning is you can run 16" rims for extra fire road goodness

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys,

Confirmed. The Outback has the WRX 2003/2004 calipers and rotors. So those are the pads and rotors you need to order. COBB SS Lines and the Goodridge lines fit the front or the Outback but not the rears. So plenty of pad options. I am going with Carbontech Bobcats. SS lines make a big difference, much better brake feel.

OK Outbackers - Carbontech bobcat front pads fit part no CT929. These are 2003/2004 WRX front pads. Still trying to figure out rear pads. 2004 WRX rears don't fit. Going to try carbontech front rotors from the WRX next.

The pads with the SS front lines make a big difference to pedal feel, much better than stock. Brakes seem to be more progressive and require less pedal pressure.

I used COBB because they said they would fit the Outback - but they only fit the front. (they also said their brake pads would fit but they wouldn't have) The other set I got from Maestro only fit the front as well. So if you want the Goodridge ones, PM me.

Limeydriver. Is it that the stainless lines do not fit the calipers, or the car end? I am planning a big brake upgrade, and they come with stainless lines. I am more than likely going with the Brembo Gran Turismo set, front and rear.

Just wondering where the attachement problems are....can you descripe the problems you are having? Much appreciated.

cheers

jon

Hi, It is the line end. The caliper end of the SS line has a round disc type connector that a bolt goes through to connect to the caliper. The rigid line that is attached to the suspension arm has a male end. The SS line (from the caliper) has a female end that it screws into that is too long and doesn't seal properly. So I am getting a custom line made which the SS lines will properly fit into. (Easier than getting new SS lines made). This line will also be about 1/2" longer. This will also resolve a slight length issue on the short line that goes from the suspension arm to the chassis.

Note: this only applies to the Outback XT not the regular GT.

thanks so much for that. that helps. looks like I may have to do custom lines with the Brembo set...but then again, maybe they have already allowed for this difference. Length may be an issues as well, but I won't know for sure until I get the kit.

Keep us up to date on how it all turns out, and if you can get some shots of your lines, along with the fittings, I am sure that would help out a bunch of people as well.

cheers

jon

• 3 months later...

HI team OBXT -

Is there a confirmation and update on which brake pads to buy for the fronts and rears?

"OK Outbackers - Carbontech bobcat front pads fit part no CT929. These are 2003/2004 WRX front pads. Still trying to figure out rear pads. 2004 WRX rears don't fit. "

Thanks!

Archived